GCSE Additional Mathematics Watch

This discussion is closed.
tomlegge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Does anyone know what these papers are like? The ones we have done are impossibly hard, but I have heard that it is just an extension of GCSE.

Does anyone know any techniques for not flunking this exam?

Also, does anyone know the grade boundaries for this exam?

Many Thanx

Tom
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
heh. i done GCSE Additional Maths two years ago. It's a *****. Only Northern Ireland Board does it now the british boards stop teaching it 20 years ago. It consists of 2 papers, 1 Pure, and 1 Mech and Stats. It's not easy and is a good GCSE, because it's hard, for the brighter pupil and those that check your CVs see, heh, this person has done a gcse that it closer to a level standards. In fact AS maths modules, P1, M1 and S1 are very similar. However there is a problem, they are screwing with this GCSE. CCEA (northern ireland exam board) are changing the syllabus. They are removing loads from the syllabus, hence making it easier. This is a direct result of the recent introduction of AS levels. There is very little difference between the 2, and so, doing Additional Maths would be considered a waste of time. It will soon become a "normal" GCSE, and will then be scraped, since it will be considered a waste of time, and unchallenging for those will high mathematical intellect.
tomlegge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
nah mate, we're doing it through OCR. I understand that it is a FSMQ Free Standing Maths Qualification. D'you remember what the grade boundaries are like?

Tom
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
well, i got an A which was 75% in total, and i JUST got an A, i.e. A boundary was around 74%. A* was 90%. B= 60% C=55%, hence the lower grade boundaries are squahed up, but A and A* are further apart. Mine was not a FSQ but was a GCSE. I would imagine that the syllabus will be like the new GCSE Additional Maths Syllabus here in northern ireland, and not like the old (harder with more content) one which i done. Hence the grade boundaries will be completely different.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
has OCR got specimens papers on their website? CCEA don't have specimens since they are stingey, but they have the syllabi old and new: (old) http://www.ccea.org.uk/gcse/g3specs/g3amas.pdf
and new: http://www.ccea.org.uk/gcse/g4specs/g4ams.pdf
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%