The Student Room Group

"Where are you from originally?" - Ugh! Not that question again!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pigling
But why's it bad? Someone's background is a talking point. My own parents are white immigrants, admittedly not very interesting ones (English speaking). I wish people would ask me :tongue: :cry:

Instead they occasionally ask about my first name, which isn't very English, and I have to sadly admit that it is for no interesting/exotic reason, my parents just liked that name :ashamed2:

http://therearenoothers.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/othering-101-what-is-othering/

The point is, every time you treat an ethnic minority differently (even if just because you honestly think they might have an interesting background) it's giving the impression that you think they are actually different. It's like they're defined by their background (or it's somehow so important that you must bring it up as the first thing in a conversation). They become "that Indian girl from Mumbai" or "that Arab boy with the exotic background" instead of just "that girl/boy." That other person.

An interesting first name is totally different... people haven't been treated differently due to their first name for eons on end. Nor is there still an issue with "first-name-ism" today* and people don't have to worry about it. I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. :tongue:

*Unless you're Katie Hopkins
(edited 10 years ago)
I doubt they mean it maliciously but do get how it's annoying.
If I were you I'd just answer "Britain?" and act confused.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?
I get asked this question occasionally, and like you, I was born in England while my parents are Nigerian. The difference is, I love when people ask me where I'm from. I like when people are curious about ethnic backgrounds, sparks conversation :smile:
I even ask white people, depending on their accent and if their name is "unusual". I'm nosey tbh.
Reply 23
Original post by HumanSupremacist

I'm sorry but I think you're being slightly touchy - OK it might get a bit repetitive which can be annoying, and possibly the question isn't best phrased like that, but most of the time people are just genuinely curious. It might be a starting point for an interesting conversation, but equally it might be forgotten about straight away before moving on. Like it or not you do look different from the majority, especially if like you mentioned you're the only 'dark' person there.

And I don't wish to be rude, but why exactly do you know nothing about your heritage? You don't have to know the exact cultural details that define what it means to be a 'Nigerian Nigerian', or the little intricacies of daily life there, but surely your parents must still be proud to be from there and maintain some elements from their culture in your home? It does sound a little as if you have a slight chip on your shoulder - which is understandable as there's such a backlash against migrants at the moment. Especially as you say your parents came here for 'business expansion by the way, not for "honey and streets paved with gold"'. But be proud of who you are - if you have Nigerian roots that does not diminish your 'Britishness' in any way.
Reply 24
Original post by Sloaney Pony
http://therearenoothers.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/othering-101-what-is-othering/

The point is, every time you treat an ethnic minority differently (even if just because you honestly think they might have an interesting background) it's giving the impression that you think they are actually different. It's like they're defined by their background (or it's somehow so important that you must bring it up as the first thing in a conversation). They become "that Indian girl from Mumbai" or "that Arab boy with the exotic background" instead of just "that girl/boy." That other person.

An interesting first name is totally different... people haven't been treated differently due to their first name for eons on end. Nor is there still an issue with "first-name-ism" today* and people don't have to worry about it. I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. :tongue:

*Unless you're Katie Hopkins

I understand the concept and see where you're coming from.

But don't get the wrong impression - it's not like the first thing I ask people, I would wait until there is rapport.

Some people "other" ethnic minorities by awkwardly ignoring their background, name, accent, family, cultural references, languages etc because they feel embarrassed that someone isn't white - surely that is a worse case of "othering"? :beard: :tongue:
Original post by Pigling
I understand the concept and see where you're coming from.

But don't get the wrong impression - it's not like the first thing I ask people, I would wait until there is rapport.

Some people "other" ethnic minorities by awkwardly ignoring their background, name, accent, family, cultural references, languages etc because they feel embarrassed that someone isn't white - surely that is a worse case of "othering"? :beard: :tongue:

If you'd ignore it if the person was white, surely you should ignore it if the person's an ethnic minority? I don't see how it's awkward to not bring up someone's background in the slightest just because they're an ethnic minority.

If you wouldn't ignore it if the person was white and appeared British (e.g. you're curious about their home city or something) then ask away. Everyone has a background and so on - just don't make it a specific talking point or bring it up based solely on the fact they're an ethnic minority :tongue:
Original post by HumanSupremacist
This question completely infuriates me!

I've just been to a formal black-tie event where I was the only "dark" guy there. That's not out of the ordinary - that's been common throughout life, being born and bred here of course.

Yet, today, the question "where are you from originally" kept on popping up. I couldn't tell if the person asking it was a "white liberal" or a "white non-liberal". I was asked this question more than 5 times by 5 different persons.

With the first person, I continued smiling politely and replied "Well, my parents (with a verbal stress on "my parents") are from Nigeria, but I (verbal stress) was born here." I believe the verbal stresses sent the message across that I was irritated by a pointless question.

With the second person, I began to get slightly irritated. I now grinned, but replied with the same response as above, but through slightly gritted teeth. My annoyance was successfully conveyed.

Then I milled around again, mixing with the crowd. The question came up again "Where are you from originally then?" My patience was wearing thin. I answered tersely: "From Africa. I'm obviously from Africa." I also rolled my eyes. That conversation ended almost as quickly as it began.

Then came the fourth. I'd lost all patience and I just decided to play with the silly question-askers, whether they were well-meaning liberals or non-liberals. This time, I answered with a question, thereby visibly embarrassing the asker (he actually blushed): "Why? Where are you from originally?" He replied (after much spluttering) "Eh..well, Britain." But I didn't stop there. "And before that?" I asked? He frowned, confused. Others also frowned, mostly in embarrassment. I answered for him - "Maybe from somewhere in mainland Europe, perhaps? And before that? Maybe from somewhere a bit further south? Oh look, now we get to Africa. So, it seems that, should you subscribe to the "Out-of Africa" theory, we're both originally from the same place." I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Conversation over, I walked away.

Patience completely gone, I ripped apart the last person. First came the question. Then my prepared answer - "From my father's testicles. Why, were you originally from somewhere else?"

In short

Why do people ask these irritating questions? I know nothing about the little West African country that my parents came from (for the purposes of business expansion by the way, not for "honey and streets paved with gold") and care little for it. I was born and bred here. I can give you nothing on the country's history except some Wikipedia regurgitations or the like from history books. Little knowledge about the culture and little interest in the food (strict "health-freak" diet doesn't permit such indulgence). So why the pointless question? It's irritating and is a great affront to my very core.

The question doesn't even make scientific sense - I can't originally be from somewhere that I've never even set foot in (even whilst in the womb), unless of course, the asker clearly means to ask "So what country did your parents originate from?" To ask "Where am I from originally, immediately seems to almost demote my citizenship status, which is greatly outrageous. And I cannot tell whether it's well-meaning liberals seeking an answer or trying to make conversation or a non-liberal with an agenda.

Lol I'm Nigerian I think you're making a big deal out this it's not that deep just answer the question simple.
Hows that massive chip on your shoulder?

There's probably 5 people on some other forum being like "God I went to this event the other night and it was sooo boring, endless 'So what do you study?' 'How are you?' smalltalk and this one guy who was really rude when I tried to actually strike up a decent conversation with him. Whats up with that?"

If new people asking you where you are from annoys you to the point of getting arsey and rolling your eyes at them, I think you need to develop some social skills.
Reply 28
The standard small talk questions are:
- What's your name?
- What do you do?
- Where are you from? (Especially if people have come to that place from other places - for example they're starting at university.)

I have a suspicion that some of the people you were talking to were simply asking where you had grown up ... and you greeted their interest with your own perception of them having a racist agenda.

Maybe try reading less into peoples' agenda and just answer their question honestly. If you'd said, "I was born in Bristol but I grew up in Exeter, how about you, where are you from?" most of them probably wouldn't have turned a hair.
Reply 29
I get asked a lot as well so i understand where you're coming from but it's not that big of a deal, I usually tell them where my parents are from and then move on, not hard! They're just curious, maybe even trying to be friendly :tongue:
Hmmm...

I don't see the issue. Only issue I see is people concocting their own opinions on me just from my country of origin, it's why I rarely like to tell people.

Although it's fairly obvious when someone sees me, I like to make a point of them getting to know me before I say where I'm actually "from" (where my grandparents were born basically)
Maybe the way they word it isn't appropriate, but I genuinely don't believe people are saying it to be nasty. Most people, even if they are born here, whose parents are from somewhere else do have a slightly different upbringing and there's nothing wrong - everyone's different, white people are different from other white people, british people are different from other british people, everyone's different from each other - there are often some cultural influences which make you unique that people are interested in. Bet it would be the same in Nigeria with a person who looked Chinese but was born in Nigeria. If they're genuinely just curious, it doesn't mean they're racist.

I get asked this question about 10 times a day (usually from people from the countries stretching from Sudan - India) and I'm actually Scottish I just weirdly (maybe my dad isn't my real dad.. ) look North African or Arab. I like it :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
I know what you mean OP I get that question every now and again, and its not the question as such. Asking where I'm from is just small talk, and I'll answer with I'm from Britain, I was born here etc. What I find annoying is when they act surprised by it, and when they keep going
Where are you from?
Britain
Oh well where are your parents from?
Britain.....
Grandparents?
and it just keeps going until they find something ethnic and go, "oh that's interesting!" (or saying some bull**** like "oh yes I could tell by "insert stupid reason like my non exsistant Caribbean accent")
I also get annoyed when I tell them my grandparents are from the Caribbean, the conversation is just dropped after that. When there's no follow up of "have you ever been there......I was wondering if this i true about......I know someone from there....I've been there myself" Type of thing, when they just find out and then drop it, I get annoyed, because it's just like why did you ask then? When I'm met with that its hard not to take it as the person saying "Hi, Iv'e noticed you're not white, but you don't have the right accent, care to explain that to me? It doesn't help when your the only black person in the room at the time,because you do feel signalled out, and some people are ********s about it when you don't immediately say you were born in Africa (Iv'e been called a liar several times when I insisted I and my parents were born and bred here). Some people are generally curious for the right reasons and want to maybe talk to me about a holiday they took in the place they assume I'm from that's ok to a certain extent, but when they pry an innocent question can suddenly turn into an interrogation about whether your British (or ethnic) enough for them.
I don't see why you're so uptight about it. People are naturally curious.

Me myself am of mixed race. People ask me about my heritage all the time. It's not out of the ordinary for somebody to do so, and in fact I do it to others on a frequent basis.
Reply 34
its called small talk,chill out.
Reply 35
No need to pop a vein OP, it sounded like a sincere question that a lot of ethnic minorities get asked.

I don't mind when people ask me where I am originally from. I don't automatically jump up and down and call them a right-wing racist or get offended (unless they say it in a derogatory way). There was no need to get so rude and defensive, in my opinion. I am sure no one was questioning your "Britishness".
Original post by MissNix
I know what you mean OP I get that question every now and again, and its not the question as such. Asking where I'm from is just small talk, and I'll answer with I'm from Britain, I was born here etc. What I find annoying is when they act surprised by it, and when they keep going
Where are you from?
Britain
Oh well where are your parents from?
Britain.....
Grandparents?
and it just keeps going until they find something ethnic and go, "oh that's interesting!" (or saying some bull**** like "oh yes I could tell by "insert stupid reason like my non exsistant Caribbean accent")
I also get annoyed when I tell them my grandparents are from the Caribbean, the conversation is just dropped after that. When there's no follow up of "have you ever been there......I was wondering if this i true about......I know someone from there....I've been there myself" Type of thing, when they just find out and then drop it, I get annoyed, because it's just like why did you ask then? When I'm met with that its hard not to take it as the person saying "Hi, Iv'e noticed you're not white, but you don't have the right accent, care to explain that to me? It doesn't help when your the only black person in the room at the time,because you do feel signalled out, and some people are ********s about it when you don't immediately say you were born in Africa (Iv'e been called a liar several times when I insisted I and my parents were born and bred here). Some people are generally curious for the right reasons and want to maybe talk to me about a holiday they took in the place they assume I'm from that's ok to a certain extent, but when they pry an innocent question can suddenly turn into an interrogation about whether your British (or ethnic) enough for them.

This. This exactly.

It's total bull****, your skin colour doesn't determine how British you are.
Reply 37
OP the way you reacted was just ridiculous and rude.
Reply 38
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I work at a fast food restaurant in the Slough area and someone asked me if I spoke Polish the other day. I was mega confused - and one of the guys who is Polish and works in the kitchen was like 'don't be silly, just because she's white doesn't make her Polish''

I'm British but I think we have Italian Jewish heritage.

wtf did I just read.

OP, I enjoyed reading that, I personally have no problem with answering such questions, it doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand your situation 4 people in a row asking you the same question can be tedious, if 4 people asked me the exact same question whatever the question may be, I would also get slightly annoyed Lol.
Reply 39
Original post by Sloaney Pony
+repped for truth.

I speak with a normal British accent (RP, actually) and don't dress in an "ethnic" way at all. Yet the first question I am always asked is "Where are you from?" And then when I answer my home city - "No, where are you ORIGINALLY from?" like they're trying to insist there is something weird about me.

It may sometimes be well meaning but sometimes, frankly, it just feels like someone's trying to treat you differently based solely on your race. Otherisation.

Even if someone is just trying to make polite conversation, the way to do it is not to make a big deal about "OMG UR SKIN COLOUR IS DIFFERENT 1111" for ages. If I want to mention my ethnicity I'll bring it up. It shouldn't be such a major thing that it's a talking point. ​Why does it matter which country my parents were born in?

Well said
Repped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending