This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've been getting mightily pissed off with my career just lately. In the 10 years since I graduated I've been building stuff and despite earning a very pleasing salary I have recently come around to thinking "There must be better songs to sing than this" (borrowed that from Educating Rita)

Anyway, as I drove into work this morning I glanced to my left and there on the horizon, floating effortlessly in the clear blue sky, were 5 hot air baloons. Now THAT, I thought to myself, is what I should be doing....a hot air balloon pilot.

Any thoughts anybody? Or can anybody think of another "job for Howard"
two_headed_monk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I've been getting mightily pissed off with my career just lately. In the 10 years since I graduated I've been building stuff and despite earning a very pleasing salary I have recently come around to thinking "There must be better songs to sing than this" (borrowed that from Educating Rita)

Anyway, as I drove into work this morning I glanced to my left and there on the horizon, floating effortlessly in the clear blue sky, were 5 hot air baloons. Now THAT, I thought to myself, is what I should be doing....a hot air balloon pilot.

i dont think that a hot ari balloon pilot is the way forward..... but whatever you do, just be happy doing it.
why not be a teacher? practically anyone can do it, and it cna be reeela fun.
Amazing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A better song to sing Howard? But on your lips it'd be shrill and hollow and tuneless...
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nah teaching is too boring. How about a bungee jump instructor. You get the thrill factor and the nice weather!!
Howard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amazing)
A better song to sing Howard? But on your lips it'd be shrill and hollow and tuneless...
Very good!
Howard
Rep:
?
(Original post by two_headed_monk)
i dont think that a hot ari balloon pilot is the way forward..... but whatever you do, just be happy doing it.
why not be a teacher? practically anyone can do it, and it cna be reeela fun.
I had thought about that.....but.....oh....I dunno.....not really a "people's person".......
two_headed_monk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
nah teaching is too boring. How about a bungee jump instructor. You get the thrill factor and the nice weather!!
yeah, but if your a teacher you get to torture students every day for years at a time. think abuoit it - remember the ****ty buillies that were in your class, and that it would be cool to have a teacher who could totally make lessons hell for them. you could be that teacher. it would be great, thats why im considering it.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by two_headed_monk)
yeah, but if your a teacher you get to torture students every day for years at a time. think abuoit it - remember the ****ty buillies that were in your class, and that it would be cool to have a teacher who could totally make lessons hell for them. you could be that teacher. it would be great, thats why im considering it.
Teaching is too much stress you have the power to really mess up peoples lives.
two_headed_monk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Teaching is too much stress you have the power to really mess up peoples lives.
yeah, but as long as you chill its cool. people cant blame their whole life problems on one teacher. and a lot of people deserve their lives pre-emptively messed up.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well you've not got me convinced.
Howard what exactly do you do now?
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
leisure doesn't always pay that well, don't know why, just doesn't.
Howard
Rep:
?
Well you've not got me convinced.
Howard what exactly do you do now?
"Projects commercial manager" Sort of a glorified and senior level "quantity surveyor" really.
Howard
Rep:
?
(Original post by DazYa13)
leisure doesn't always pay that well, don't know why, just doesn't.
Yes I know. But I earn very good money in a highly commecial activity and I'm still a miserable ******* most of the timre. Whatever I have isn't enough.

Perhaps therefore I have too much and less might do me good. Maybe there is more to life than a maximized salary.
Empedocles
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Yes I know. But I earn very good money in a highly commecial activity and I'm still a miserable ******* most of the timre. Whatever I have isn't enough.

Perhaps therefore I have too much and less might do me good. Maybe there is more to life than a maximized salary.
Art is consistently my saviour.
Howard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Empedocles)
Art is consistently my saviour.
You're very fortunate. I'm not artistic or musical in any way, shape, or form. I could make Cromwell look "arty" on a bad day.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

what is your salary at present if you don't mind me asking?
Howard
Rep:
?
what is your salary at present if you don't mind me asking?
Without getting too specific let's just say it's well into 6 figures.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
are you serious!?
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I saw on your profile that you are studying for a LLM so I presume you have a LLB.

Well, there's a variety of career you can go into with a LLB i guess...
How about trying out being a legal adviser with one of the big MNCs ?

Well, you can probably enrich yourself with the workings MNCs as well as participating in their numerous projects, and probably enjoy travelling around the world Subsequently, I am sure they won't ill treat you in terms of salary.. so I would say it's pretty much of a win-win situation
Howard
Rep:
?
are you serious!?
Absolutely. Quantity Surveyors, (certainly the senior level "chartered" folks that make it overseas) can earn rather a good whack.

Often makes me laugh when you hear about people talk about "high earning careers" as nobody ever mentions the construction industry which you can really make a fortune in if you know what you're doing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.06%
No (604)
65.94%

Watched Threads