Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did Duchess of Malfi and Maerchants Tale.
    duchess was not good at all, all the notes i made and revision on context was a waste and i wasnt able to incorporate it anywhere.
    merchants tale was ok, although still i didnt manage to incorporate any of the notes i made.
    I also did the Bell which was shocking.

By the way, with regards to A04 or 5 I cant remember which, it says, candidates answer must be base don the interpretations of other readers.
    Does anyone know exactly what this means and how to achieve it?
    Many Thanks.

Clearing here I come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achilles13)

By the way, with regards to A04 or 5 I cant remember which, it says, candidates answer must be base don the interpretations of other readers.
    Many Thanks.

Clearing here I come.
    oh yay, another person who thought the Duchess question wasn't too good. which question did you do? i added some context in - like how women are the innocent ones and are manipulated by the male characters, suggesting the patriarchal structures of the time. i also had quotes from critics which i lobbed in. i talked about the cardinal a bit too & his hypocrisy. thats it though.
    the AO thing - i'm not sure myself actually, i think it might refer to the different viewpoints?

ReputationRep:
    I did Duchess of Malfi and Maerchants Tale.
    duchess was not good at all, all the notes i made and revision on context was a waste and i wasnt able to incorporate it anywhere.
    merchants tale was ok, although still i didnt manage to incorporate any of the notes i made.
    I also did the Bell which was shocking.

Many Thanks.

Clearing here I come.
    Luckily the day before the exam I looked at the AOs. I figured I would learn a few critical quotations, so I did, and managed to include a few. I think you might also be able to achieve the AO by saying something like: "Some critics might see Othello as entirely blameless for his downfall... On the other hand, other critics might see Othello as having significant character flaws which lead to his demise." Then you don't actually have to know critics; blatantly two critics must have raised these two opposing points before. Don't quote me on that though (haha) since I only looked at the AOs on Sunday afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieny)
    NO WAY - THATS NOT RIGHT...

:p:

*If anyone can identify that quote - please return it to the lost property box - thank you...*

Nope - me neither - it sounds like u answered it quite well tho .. who knows .. i jus HOPE .. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Sorry, did I do something wrong? I posted on two threads about the same thing, yes but I just decided to vary what I'd said. Sorry I won't do it again if it causes offence.

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam so weird! I did Duffy and Dr. Faustus, the Duffy was ok, although it was about Dramatic monolgues and I waffled on about a poem that wasn't a dramatic monologue, lol! I had to save it sumhow so I said that Duffy had subverted the form of the dramatic monologue, oh well atleast I tried. Dr. Faustus was tough tho, it was about so many themes...scary!! I really really want an A, on an A from AS level, but now my hopes are dashing ( as in my hopes are decreasing slowly,lol) Esp wen I think of the closed book exam...aahhh! Anyone else doing The Tempest and Translations? xxx

ReputationRep:
    Many Thanks.
    Basically it means you must offer up differing interpretations/readings
    e.g. on the one hand...but on the other hand...it can be read as thus...but it can also be read as...etc.
    (Original post by Chai)
    Anyone else doing The Tempest and Translations?
    Aye. :cool:

You ready for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieny)
    WAIT!!

R u jus planning on doing prose without even looking at Poetry!!! .. what if u got a really tough prose .. in addition i find that Poetry has far more to talk about - especially on devices/techniques etc...
    but thats a personal thing. I havent decided one way or the other and probs wont until the exam ... (unless u can convince me otherwise )
    We've only been given the choice of doing unseen prose because we're doing poetry for the comparative part? Forgot how the whole structure works now.

What are you doing for the comparative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helzerel)
    74?
    It's always 80% for an A. :s:
    That's in UMS marks - raw marks fluctuate depending on aggregated performance.

If you look at the examiners' reports on the Edexcel web-site; grade boundaries are attached at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairygirl21)
    oh yay, another person who thought the Duchess question wasn't too good. which question did you do? i added some context in - like how women are the innocent ones and are manipulated by the male characters, suggesting the patriarchal structures of the time. i also had quotes from critics which i lobbed in. i talked about the cardinal a bit too & his hypocrisy. thats it though.
    the AO thing - i'm not sure myself actually, i think it might refer to the different viewpoints?

Well I did question A for Duchess of Malfi which was about the innocent not being able to defend against corruption.
    So I basically went through each character (only actually did 3) and said we as a modern audience would consider the duchess to be virtuous as she defied corruption and social class and married, but that the jacobean audience would not have seen this the same wasy as she broke too many of their social conventions e.g remarrying, criticising church and a jacobean audience would not have seen her as innocent or virtuous.
    Then for Antonio i said he wasnt virtuous because he was weak and couldnt protect anyone and for bosola, I said that he was once innocent as he used to be a scholar, but then the corruption of the cardinal has corrupted him as a result of his desire to progress.
    so to a degree innocence has not been able to defend itself against corruption as bosola was corrupted.

but i used very few quotes, no comment on structure of anything like that.
    Just glad its out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chai)
    Dr. Faustus was tough tho, it was about so many themes...scary!!
    I'm so glad you said that- you're the first other person I've found who did Dr. Faustus and I thought it was really hard!

(Original post by Chai)
    Anyone else doing The Tempest and Translations?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose_Greenthumb)
    Sorry, did I do something wrong? I posted on two threads about the same thing, yes but I just decided to vary what I'd said. Sorry I won't do it again if it causes offence.
    Onliy joking :p: :p: - dont worry ...

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Finally found sum more ppl who are doing the same texts as me, I am absolutely petrified of closed text exam, last year wasn't too bad (I did Hard Times) but this year I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about. It doesn't help that our teacher was off all the time. I hate Shakespeare! Well actually like his plays but I cannot for the life of me analyse the stupid language. I like Friel tho, it makes me happy It's just difficult to compare and contrast two texts that have been written in some different periods and in totally different 'climates'...argh!

Oh and the Faustus question, which one did people do? I did the one on poetic and psychological intensity and messed it up...bye bye A in english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieny)
    Onliy joking :p: :p: - dont worry ...
    Oh good! I was quite concerned I'd broken some secret rule or something!

ReputationRep:
    i thought merchants tale was nice and easy, but Othello was sooo hard! i think i could have done much better. It said to focus on the last scene and other parts throughout the play so I stupidly spent over 10 mins looking for other parts instead of writing about the last scene. So i didnt even get half way through writing about the last scene

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chai)
    Ah! Finally found sum more ppl who are doing the same texts as me, I am absolutely petrified of closed text exam, last year wasn't too bad (I did Hard Times)
    Wow, I did Hard Times and Translations last year and Dr. Faustus, Tempest and Translations this year too

(Original post by Chai)
    Oh and the Faustus question, which one did people do? I did the one on poetic and psychological intensity and messed it up...bye bye A in english
    I did the same question as you, but I don't think I answered it at all, just waffled on about different aspects of language, ie this rhetorical question shows confusion, this exclamation mark shows tension etc. I think I said bye bye A in English too, but I can't- I need it for uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugardaddy)
    We've only been given the choice of doing unseen prose because we're doing poetry for the comparative part? Forgot how the whole structure works now.

What are you doing for the comparative?
    Tempest / Translations - :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    but with Dr. Faustus, I just waffled like mad! Suffice it to say I'm not overly confident of getting the A I need in English lit I'm quite relieved that others found it hard as well though- hopefully that means the grade boundaries will be quite low.
    Feeling that! It's great to read that other people talked crap about Dr Faustus - did the first question and at the end of the hour realised I'd written almost nothing on the language just pure solid gold s**t!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    We did Larkin and Othello.
    The Larkin was okay I thought although I probably waffled like a Dutchman.
    The Othello, however was death on toast. I did question A and didn't mention a THING to do with 'moral chaos' despite it being like half the question. I only realised after the exam was over.
    I also didn't include AO5 which is like 10%.
    Crud.
    I need an A in it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Affectation)
    We did Larkin and Othello.
    The Larkin was okay I thought although I probably waffled like a Dutchman.
    The Othello, however was death on toast. I did question A and didn't mention a THING to do with 'moral chaos' despite it being like half the question. I only realised after the exam was over.
    I also didn't include AO5 which is like 10%.
    Crud.
    I need an A in it as well.
    Which Larkin one did you do? I did the one on women since I took one look at that second one and wanted to run away screaming. I mean that thing was nearly an essay in itself!

I wouldn't worry too much about the Othello one, pretty much everyone on here found it really difficult as did everyone I spoke to at my college, so that gives me some hope.

ReputationRep:
    I did Othello and Heaney....was actually quite traumatic, especially Othello, i too missed out the whole 'moral chaos' bit. On the bright side i found that the Heaney question kicked ass because i got to use my fave poem 'limbo'!

Am also doing Tempest/Translations on tuesday.... anybody have and hints or tips...my teacher is a serious scatter brain and is..well.. a bit crap. so am V nervous! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.