Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Not in my school. Out of 124 credits (most take about 30 a year), 60 had to be in mandatory liberal arts cources.
    And exactly how reputable and tax-payer-dependent was your school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    And exactly how reputable and tax-payer-dependent was your school?
    It was the 49th best business school in the country. :p: About half the funding came from the city and the state (the rest from alumni).

ReputationRep:
    More like calcalus and English. And it's closer to 2 years. At least most Americans know basic history, economics, etc., which isn't something I can say most Brits.
    Haha! Oh, do behave!!

I don't know what part of America you come from but in my experience as far as Americans are concerned world history only started with the Puritans. Other than that they can tell you a bit about the war of independence, a bit about the war of northern aggression ( ) and lots about the civil rights movement. Other than that they are complete dunderheads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Haha! Oh, do behave!!

I don't know what part of America you come from but in my experience as far as Americans are concerned world history only started with the Puritans. Other than that they can tell you a bit about the war of independence, a bit about the war of northern aggression ( ) and lots about the civil rights movement. Other than that they are complete dunderheads.
    At least Americans have to take at least 2 years of history in high school and at least one history class in university. Brits don't have to take any after they turn 14!

ReputationRep:
    It was the 49th best business school in the country. :p: About half the funding came from the city and the state (the rest from alumni).
    They probably are much more compelled to meet more PC standard if highly dependent upon tax dollars. Private universities seem to require far fewer unnecessary courses (though, if you go to a religion-affiliated private one, you'll probably have to take a theology course at some point).

ReputationRep:
    At least Americans have to take at least 2 years of history in high school and at least one history class in university. Brits don't have to take any after they turn 14!
    Yes. But they have to study it from age 5-14 so thats 9 year's versus America's 2!

http://www.qca.org.uk/281.html

Small wonder the Americans need to catch up in High School what they should have been learning in Middle and Elementary schools. My step-daughter, bless her, hasn't studied any history at all - (apart from a yearly repeat of the Puritans each Thanksgiving and another repeat of the civil rights movement around MLK day.:rolleyes: ) And she's just about to go into middle school.

Bunch of dunces!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But they have to study it from age 5-14 so thats 9 year's versus America's 2!

Small wonder the Americans need to catch up in High School what they should have been learning in Middle and Elementary schools. My step-daughter, bless her, hasn't studied any history at all - (apart from a yearly repeat of the Puritans each Thanksgiving and another repeat of the civil rights movement around MLK day.:rolleyes: ) And she's just about to go into middle school.

Bunch of dunces!
    Err, Americans have to take it every year as well. Fact is that a vast majority of Brits stop learning history when they're 14, while most Americans learn it until they're 19. The subject is just called social studies. It's taught more seriously starting from junior high.

ReputationRep:

Bunch of dunces!
    School curriculum varies by state, though. Pennsylvania requires more years of history than any other state, if memory serves me well.

ReputationRep:
    Err, Americans have to take it every year as well. Fact is that a vast majority of Brits stop learning history when they're 14, while most Americans learn it until they're 19. The subject is just called social studies. It's taught more seriously starting from junior high.
    Oh, no you don't Mr Bismark! You can't kid a kidder! "Social studies" is a kind of watered down mishmash of a 100 different things that includes history. In the same way "Science" is a watered down combination of the big 3 sciences *(badly taught by people that really have no business being stuck in front of a class) with a bit about the environment thrown in for luck.:rolleyes:

To say that history is taught as a subject in its own right but merely called "social science" is misleading.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no you don't Mr Bismark! You can't kid a kidder! "Social studies" is a kind of watered down mishmash of a 100 different things that includes history. In the same way "Science" is a watered down combination of the big 3 sciences *(badly taught by people that really have no business being stuck in front of a class) with a bit about the environment thrown in for luck.:rolleyes:

To say that history is taught as a subject in its own right but merely called "social science" is misleading.
    Howard, again, teaching standards vary by state. The state of Florida has virtually no requirement of education to become a teacher (in fact a lot of people consider moving to Florida to become a school teacher a back-up plan if they can't find work in their intended field). You could get an English degree, and teach a science subject. In other states, teachers are required to possess educations degrees alongside a degree which pertains to what they will teach. Chemistry teachers must have chemistry degrees, etc.

ReputationRep:

I don't recall what I learned in elementary school, but I'm pretty sure that 100% of social studies from junior high on was history. Perhaps it's different in your state, though you should reserve judgment until your step-daughter goes to junior high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Howard, again, teaching standards vary by state. The state of Florida has virtually no requirement of education to become a teacher (in fact a lot of people consider moving to Florida to become a school teacher a back-up plan if they can't find work in their intended field). You could get an English degree, and teach a science subject. In other states, teachers are required to possess educations degrees alongside a degree which pertains to what they will teach. Chemistry teachers must have chemistry degrees, etc.
    That's true. But, if you did have an English degree and wanted to teach science in Florida you would have to pass the science teaching licencing requirements. Teacher in Florida get certified to teach in a particular area by examination.

ReputationRep:
    I don't recall what I learned in elementary school, but I'm pretty sure that 100% of social studies from junior high on was history. Perhaps it's different in your state, though you should reserve judgment until your step-daughter goes to junior high.
    Let us see. But so far I'm less than impressed. Totally underwhelmed in fact.

ReputationRep:
    Let us see. But so far I'm less than impressed. Totally underwhelmed in fact.
    Well no one's going to deny that the primary school system in the US is a joke...

ReputationRep:
    And I thought my £8000 ($16000?) debt was bad.

ReputationRep:
    Well my entire undergrad education only cost me about $2,000 (because the government didn't want to pick up the tag for summer classes). :cool: I know people who actually came out in the blue, since all New Yorkers who maintain a B average get a $500 check from the city every year.

ReputationRep:
    That's true. But, if you did have an English degree and wanted to teach science in Florida you would have to pass the science teaching licencing requirements. Teacher in Florida get certified to teach in a particular area by examination.
    The exams aren't remotely comprehensive, though. They merely test for the most basic of abilities in the topic, and then assume that the teacher will figure out the rest upon teaching the topic.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pay whatever it costs. If you arent educated you may as well not be alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    I'd pay whatever it costs. If you arent educated you may as well not be alive.
    Yes, but you can be educated without jumping through academic hoops. You can be a world expert on Rennaissance art without ever formally receiving a degree in it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you can be educated without jumping through academic hoops. You can be a world expert on Rennaissance art without ever formally receiving a degree in it.
    Too bad no one will hire you unless you have the degree.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.