Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom391)
    Anybody for whom taking 12 A2 modules instead of 9 means that they have "less time for reading around" does not deserve a place at Oxbridge.
    sorry to disillusion you so young, son, but not everyone at oxbridge is a library dwelling, bespectacled geek. some of us even like having time off.

if you're good enough, three a-levels will get you in.

ReputationRep:
    Does 4 A Levels in any way compensate for a chronic lack of extra-curricular activities? Obviously, I have some plans for the summer but I can't magically gain Grade 8 on the oboe or join my school's hockey team...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    as stated before ECs are not an important part of your application (although they can't hurt) so 4 a levels is more important than 3 alevels with tonnes of EC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    as stated before ECs are not an important part of your application (although they can't hurt) so 4 a levels is more important than 3 alevels with tonnes of EC.
    :ditto: 4 A-levels would benefit you more because they're more interested in you academically than as an all-rounder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lottie)
    Does 4 A Levels in any way compensate for a chronic lack of extra-curricular activities? Obviously, I have some plans for the summer but I can't magically gain Grade 8 on the oboe or join my school's hockey team...
    Read the thread on Extra Curriculars:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lottie)
    I am doing 6 AS levels (will continue with all for A2) with an additional 2 units in Economics and 2 units of Further Maths. As well as that I have Grade 8 piano, play for several of my house teams, work two nights a week and take part in a couple of other activities (one of which bears a lot of responsibility). This I did during the school terms and not over the summer. And I am aware of the fact that I am not the only one who can do that. Therefore you cannot use the fact that you are doing 4 A-levels as an excuse. I really do apologise if I sound rude but this is the reality.

On a lighter note, I suppose doing 4 (or any more) is putting you at a disadvantage. Cambridge have said so. Your UMS scores will be much lower (unless you are a genius) than if you were to do only 3. This is particularly important for Cambridge applicants who have to state all of their Unit scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Do you have any evidence for this? Any statistics?
    To be honest, the only real evidence I have is myself. If I was doing only 3 I know that I would have prepared more for those exams and done a lot better. I get very nervous before some exams not because I find them difficult but because I worry about the exam I have to sit afterwards. But I think its only logical.
    (Original post by Athena)
    And why are you doing two modules of F Maths rather than a qualification in it?
    I will self study another module next year to complete the AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death)
    To be honest, the only real evidence I have is myself. If I was doing only 3 I know that I would have prepared more for those exams and done a lot better. I get very nervous before some exams not because I find them difficult but because I worry about the exam I have to sit afterwards. But I think its only logical.

I will self study another module next year to complete the AS.
    I am going to do phy,bio,chem and maths A level next year(13). My school says F.Maths can never fit in my timetable . Its impossible They said I can't even do the exams. :mad:
    How can you do just the modules :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mugdha)
    I am going to do phy,bio,chem and maths A level next year(13). My school says F.Maths can never fit in my timetable . Its impossible They said I can't even do the exams. :mad:
    How can you do just the modules :confused:
    You can do the modules by buying the books yourself and either teaching to yourself from the book alone or by getting some sort of tuition (this could potentially help you when you come across problems) and then simply find a centre at which you can pay to sit the exams. Just out of curiosity it says you are from the Hague, what school do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Just read that you go to the BSN in your profile. Well the school lets people from outside of the school come and sit exams if they pay so I would be very surprised if they wouldn't let a student who is at the school. Some old guy did AS maths last year when I sat it and some guy sat his GCSEs who didn't go to the school the year I did mine as well. I can however see why they say they can't timetable further maths for you as they do all 6 A2 modules in one year and then move onto the further maths modules. Just out of curiosity though who are you? Not really many clues in your profile.

ReputationRep:
    Mugdha

ReputationRep:
    Who Are U??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzyfuzzylou)
    My school is extremely against anybody taking 4 A Levels in U6, but it seems like a lot of successful Oxford applicants have. Does this give you any advantage in terms of application?

Thanks!
    My school is against people doing 4 A levels...so i did 3 and it didn’t stop me getting into Oxford . Don’t worry about not doing 4, Oxbridge understand that not everyone has the opportunity to do more than 3, so they won't hold it against you.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that the position was that you should do everything relevant that your school gives you the opportunity to do, but anything you don't have the opportunity to do will not be held against you. Anything irrelevant (sport, non-related AS levels etc.) doesn't affect the application much either.

I could be wrong. My offer was based on 4 subjects, but then most people at my college did 4 and mine were all relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I do four subjects at A2 but my offer is only based on me getting 3 As. I imagine that means it's not imperative that you do 4, and of course Cambridge will take into account the tradition at your school.
    What you must take into account, is that Cambridge asks for all of your UMS scores before they call you to interview, and that they would know were you to re-sit any in order to reach the required standard.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge normally only ask for three. Very occasionallly they ask for a fourth for the most competitive subjects like E&M and sometimes an extra AS depending on whether your subject needs it and your subject combination is lacking in someway. A combination of four including maths and sciences is good for NatSci. So it may depend of the requirements or what is useful for your subject or how competitive it is to get the place. More A levels doesn't necessarily mean a better or brighter student. Someone may have five A levels but not be able to handle the type of thought and discussion needed for tutorials and yet someone with only three may be just what they are looking for.

Where having four A2s counts, is really for your other five universities. Strictly speaking they are meant to make their offers on the basis of 3 A levels, as some schools don't take more. However, they have to go entirely on grades and PS and don't have the benefit of interviews or essays on which to base their decisions. Also they often have much higher ratios of applicants per place. If the other 19 applicants for that place are all taking four then it is possible that you may be at a disadvantage offering three.

Having said that, lots of people take four ASs and then just do three for A2. And then again lots of people do general studies as a fourth A2 but most of the top universities don't count it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    some one i know did 7 AS and then dropped to 3 A2. what did they gain from that? a heavy work load and knowledge that was (although interesting) irrelevant to their degree (history).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    what did they gain from that?
    More layers of twattishness to their personality?

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer with three a-levels, with 3 as's, Other people who do 4 are expected to perform. so even if u get AAAC an AAA will proably be considered better, because maybe the AAAC has peaked.

This is even for extra stuff like AEA etc

ReputationRep:
    One of the admissions tutors I spoke to at Hertford, Oxford, was totally adament that 4 A2s weren't necessary. He recommended only doing 3 and said that AAA was better than AABB.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.