Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from Cambridge for 3 A levels while other people from my school who were taking 4 got rejected. Also my UMS marks were generally lower than theirs as well. I haven't got a clue why i got in but hey, life works in weird and wonderful ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffeehead)
    Really? I guess it depends rather a lot on the actual subjects in question, but to me the main difference between an A grade and a B grade in some of my subjects (RS, History and Politics) is not whether or not you can apply the knowledge, but how well you've memorised the textbook and can regurgitate stuff out in the exam. And I've come to think that as long as you do get to uni, that's really rather unimportant.

How do you LEARN TO APPLY knowledge, anyway? Sorry if I sound a bit churlish, but (with arts subjects), isn't that just something you do naturally without having to learn if you're an A grade candidate?
    I think you can be taught how to apply the knowledge, if not directly. For instance listening to teachers and this year lecturers the ways of thinking used become obvious. Certainly my application of knowledge has dramatically increased over the last three years, and I must have learnt it somehow. I think the difference between a B and an A is almost certainly the difference between applying knowledge (learning how to jump through the hoops is a skill that not everyone gets, and despite what people say is actually quite a good skill to have later on life unfortunately)

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.