Mental Health Watch

This discussion is closed.
crazy_cutie44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hello
As part of my health & social course i am doing a unit on mental health. For part of this i need to write an essay on

The image and perception of individual with mental health problems in society.

I was wondering if you could all help me because i need as many people as i can to give me their views on mental health.
thanks xxx
Amazing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crazy_cutie44)
Hello
As part of my health & social course i am doing a unit on mental health. For part of this i need to write an essay on

I was wondering if you could all help me because i need as many people as i can to give me their views on mental health.
thanks xxx
People with mental health problems to what degree? Those who have minor learning disablities, those who have a very low intelligence and need a carer, or the sort of people who are sectioned for their own protection?
crazy_cutie44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amazing)
People with mental health problems to what degree? Those who have minor learning disablities, those who have a very low intelligence and need a carer, or the sort of people who are sectioned for their own protection?
just mental health in general. e.g. people are always talking about broken arms or cut fingers but you never get people talking about mental health! why is this? what do people find so bad about it?
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello

thanks xxx
People with mental health problems always get bad press and so are perceived to be bad. Think about some of the words that people in society use to decribe serial killers - psycho, crazy, mental, schizo... All these associations are then linked back to people who do have 'mental' problems/schizophrenia...
The fact is that there are loads of people with mental health problems (if I remember rightly something like 1 in 3 people have mental health problems at some point in their lives). People with mental problems aren't bad people, they're normal - everybody has problems, these problems just happen to be mental health ones.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
People with mental health problems always get bad press and so are perceived to be bad. Think about some of the words that people in society use to decribe serial killers - psycho, crazy, mental, schizo... All these associations are then linked back to people who do have 'mental' problems/schizophrenia...
The fact is that there are loads of people with mental health problems (if I remember rightly something like 1 in 3 people have mental health problems at some point in their lives). People with mental problems aren't bad people, they're normal - everybody has problems, these problems just happen to be mental health ones.
maye the taboo exists because of what mental institutions used to do. women pregnant outside of marriage were placed in these institutiotns (sorry-i was about to give a long list but my brain failed to give any more examples)
but what im trying to say, is that when these people were placed in the institutions, it wasnt because they had mental problems, nor were they a threat to society. the removal of such 'problems' from the community encouraged shame to be associated with such places and i think that shame, and so the taboo surrounding mental health has stuck. i think people are also very wary of discussing it so as to avoid offending anyone, saying something that wasn't strictly PC. although mental health sounds 'PC', saying that someone is mental doesn't. i think, like most archaic tabbos, this one will end but only when our society rejects their misconceptions of sufferers of mental illness. there's a mna in north london who walks around with lots of shopping bags shouting 'THE BEST OF LUCK' over and over and he is completely harmless and always kind and apologetic but when he comes into sainsbury's, people at my till will be asking why we don't chuck him out!!
is that what you're looking for? they're just some of my ramblings. dearyxxx
Little Britain
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
just mental health in general. e.g. people are always talking about broken arms or cut fingers but you never get people talking about mental health! why is this? what do people find so bad about it?
Mental health is a very complex issue. For example depression even in it's mildest forms can be debilitating, you can't sleep or eat, you don't want to be with other people but you don't want to be alone. It is far more than being a bit sad. If you have a plaster on your finger or a broken arm people know that you have something wrong with you, but if it is a mental problem there is such a stigma, and being told to "pull yourself together" just doesn't help. Depression can last weeks months or even years if left untreated (it used to be called a nervous breakdown). There are also more serious problems such as manic depression, schizophrenia etc.

You are right that people should talk about it, it can happen to anyone at any time in their lives for any number of reasons e.g. unemployment, debt, divorce, redundancy. If you have never experienced it you are very lucky. If anyone reading this thinks they may be depressed, and I mean this totally seriously, no taking the piss please, I will be more than happy to talk. My mother has suffered depression for many years and it is awful.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
there's a mna in north london who walks around with lots of shopping bags shouting 'THE BEST OF LUCK' over and over and he is completely harmful and always kind and apologetic but when he comes into sainsbury's, people at my till will be asking why we don't chuck him out!!
Do you mean 'harmless'?
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Do you mean 'harmless'?
whoops. thanks. dearyxxx
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
whoops. thanks. dearyxxx
Little Britain
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Absolutely right on the button, you are completely right. It is only now that we are understanding what happens to people during stressful times in their lives, for example Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a relatively new diagnosis, for an old disease/condition. Most people think that PTSA is a load of *******s, you would change your mind if you met my husband who was in both The Falklands and the Gulf War and he said that what he saw would reduce even the hardest man to tears.
crazy_cutie44
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone, that is exactly what i need!!!
glad to know that other people agree that there is no reason to discriminate (can't spell) against people that have problems that aren't they're fault. xx
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (208)
12.78%
Excited (144)
8.85%
Worried (295)
18.12%
Terrified (367)
22.54%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%