The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Buggar. Ah well.
john-boro
you will notice that 1/288 x 1/2 is 1/576

so maybe you'll lose a mark for not simplifying, but maybe not even that.

:smile:

I got something with 1/288, where on earth did the 1/2 come from?
Bloody good exam for me, I just marked what I did. I didnt quite get 5 ii) and I got 1/288 instead of 1/144 on Q.8 (just did it agen and got it right :frown: ) . I think i got about 65/72 :smile: Im really happy with it
Mustard-man

Because most people got something with 1/576, he was just noting that 1/288 x 1/2 = 1/576
Reply 64
Mustard-man

I can't remember to be honest, but I'm pretty certain about it and so are quite a few others.
Mustard-man

It was (pie^2 / 288) - (pie^2 / 576) - (1/288) - (1/288)

= (pie^2/576) - (1/144)
Reply 66
Gamma
Any estimates on grade boundaries, people?

Well usually its 58 for an A, and to be honest I think this is the kind of paper that the majority of people will find hard. Certainly that was the common opinon at my school, so if anything the grade boundaries might be lowered - only by a mark or so though.
Reply 67
haha, you can't spell pi.
Reply 68
chewwy
haha, you can't spell pi.

no, you can't spell pie!!!
Reply 69
1. gradient = -2

2. i) 1 + 6x +27x^2

ii) coefficient of x^2 = 55

3. i) 1/x - 1/(3-x)

ii) crosses x axis so area above the x-axis being is the same as the area below the x-axis.

4. i) angle between the lines = 45.3 deg

ii) area = 3.54 units^2

5. i) dA/dt = kA^2

ii) 2 and 1/3 hours

7. i) lamda = -2

the u thing = 3

so a cannot equal 2

ii) intersect at (-5, -4, 0)

8. integral of xcos^2 x between 0 and pi/12 = 1/576(pi^2 - 4) *this is right i checked it on my calculator*

9. i) dy/dx = -3cost/4sint

iv) min value of area = 12 when p =pi/4

thats all apart from the show thats.

just thought i'd re-post this to bring it forward. i think we're all in agreement these are right? if so i got 66/72 plus any method marks for the one i got wrong. Boss.
Reply 70
yes I agree with all those answers.

I thought the paper was slightly more difficult than the C4 paper from January 2006 but still perfectly acceptable and quite a nice paper to work through.

Merlin
Reply 71
i thought it was easier but i only spend about half an hour on past papers and i tend to do better in the real thing.
Reply 72
yes there were 2 questions on vectors in this paper which is not the norm really (especially when each question is worth 8 marks).

Good differential equation whereby the constant of integration has to be found in terms of K and then subsequently find K from the second piece of information given.

Apart from a silly mistake in the first one whereby for some reason I put that -2x2 =8 I think it went very well.
Reply 73
not sure your working seems ok so I guess the number crunching didn't go to plan.
Reply 74
not sure your working seems ok so I guess the number crunching didn't go to plan.
Reply 75
dunno but when i did

a.b. = |a| |b| cos x

it came out as

7 = (root 11)(root 9)cosx

7 / (3root11) = cos x
Reply 76
My working was exactly the same as that above.

by the way sorry about the duplicate posts for some reason the repsose from the website goes dead quite often and therefore multiple posts go through.
Reply 77
i always get confused with the directional vectors of lines whether they should be + or - each part but i worked out that it didnt make a difference on this question so i was ok.
Yay- thanks for posting up the paper! I did a quick post-mortem and think I got about 50/72, approximating the marks they give for working. Hoping that's a B- would be nice to get a UMS mark above 70 but judging as it wasn't a mean paper I doubt the marks will get rounded up very much!
Head

7. i) lamda = -2

the u thing = 3

so a cannot equal 2

Was that all that was needed? My friend was saying you had get the direction of the 2 to show that they weren't multiples of something...

Latest