St. Andrews vs. Edinburgh Watch

This discussion is closed.
ericsimo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi

I am an American student. I recently got responses from UCAS and I was Unconditional for Edinburgh (English, History, Econ) and for St. Andrews (History, Econ). I also applied to St. Andrews for IR and was denied acceptance, but I am hoping that I will still be able to do Joint Honours with Mod. History if I attend.

I was wondering which of the two unis has a better international reputation, specifically for History. Thank you very much. Good luck to you all!

-Eric
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ericsimo)
Hi

I am an American student. I recently got responses from UCAS and I was Unconditional for Edinburgh (English, History, Econ) and for St. Andrews (History, Econ). I also applied to St. Andrews for IR and was denied acceptance, but I am hoping that I will still be able to do Joint Honours with Mod. History if I attend.

I was wondering which of the two unis has a better international reputation, specifically for History. Thank you very much. Good luck to you all!

-Eric
Edinburgh got the best possible rating for its teaching of history in the last assessment, and has a fantastic international reputation in general. It would also be more fun as it's in the middle of a vibrant city and not completely full of posh rahs. One minor point is that the humanities departments are in some fairly ugly buildings, but that's not very important and the rest of the city is gorgeous.
koalapiyo
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bananaman)
Edinburgh got the best possible rating for its teaching of history in the last assessment, and has a fantastic international reputation in general. It would also be more fun as it's in the middle of a vibrant city and not completely full of posh rahs. One minor point is that the humanities departments are in some fairly ugly buildings, but that's not very important and the rest of the city is gorgeous.
not quite true. it got 5. the best is 5 star.
nevertheless, its still a good assessment. and it came ahead of st andrews.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/rese...616612,00.html

i agree with bananaman, some of the buildings are quite scaffy e.g DHT, and the library is an ugly concrete monstrosity. but yea, the rest of the city is prettttttty. and it's a fun place to be. MTV chose Edinburgh for the Europe music awards last year.

btw, i got offers from both unis when i was applying for undergrad.
i am glad i chose edinburgh though. st andrews is a bit small and lacking in fun stuff. it really depends what you want. prince william is there, if you like to hang around with the posh people.
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by koalapiyo)
not quite true. it got 5. the best is 5 star.
nevertheless, its still a good assessment. and it came ahead of st andrews.
The scale with 5*s in it is for research, not teaching. Scotland doesn't seem to be assessed under the same 24-point scale for teaching as English universities, but a rating of "excellent" for teaching literally means that and would get a 24 rating under the English scale.
koalapiyo
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bananaman)
The scale with 5*s in it is for research, not teaching. Scotland doesn't seem to be assessed under the same 24-point scale for teaching as English universities, but a rating of "excellent" for teaching literally means that and would get a 24 rating under the English scale.
ah hah!

my apologies.
thanks for clearing that bit up about the difference between teaching and research. i must be too "research-minded" *sighs
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.18%
Worried (305)
17.95%
Terrified (378)
22.25%
Meh (163)
9.59%
Confused (37)
2.18%