Revision in the summer holidays ?! Watch

luminite28
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So two weeks into the summer holidays and after endless hours of procrastination (watching game of thrones/breaking bad) I kinda realised I ought to start doing some serious revision. I've got my GCSEs next year with mocks in January so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for some summer holiday revision coz I can't seem to focus :confused: Thanks

sarahfrancis1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by luminite28)
So two weeks into the summer holidays and after endless hours of procrastination (watching game of thrones/breaking bad) I kinda realised I ought to start doing some serious revision. I've got my GCSEs next year with mocks in January so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for some summer holiday revision coz I can't seem to focus :confused: Thanks
Hi , You could try making yourself a time table. a realistic one and give yourself 2 evenings a week (or as many as you want - but still the holidays are to give you a break) just to keep what you have learnt fresh in your mind. perhaps re-write notes etc. think about the grades you want and use that as your motivation, because good grades don't come without hard work x
xxxKINGxxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my opinion you should get a new hobby. Revising for gcses a year early is too early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
xMr_BrightSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. No no no no no. Don't waste the time you have off! Enjoy it while it lasts! You'd be better going back in September refreshed and ready, rather than weary and bored from revision....
Infinity_4652
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Other than the usual english language, maths and core science, what subjects will you be doing?
AJFShaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pffft they're GCSE's.
If they were A-levels yeah fair enough but GCSE's pffft enjoy your young self before you become 18.
musicmusic123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just casually read over notes or about something that you haven't quite got the hang of. Don't over-do it though! Just it would be something to do if you haven't got anything better to do and that way at least you've tackled something as opposed to leaving it all 'till the last minute because that can be extremely stressful- trust me
Definitely take the time off to chill out a bit because when you start Y11 it'll get super stressful but reading up on things in your free time won't do anyone any harm!
musicmusic123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AJFShaz)
Pffft they're GCSE's.
If they were A-levels yeah fair enough but GCSE's pffft enjoy your young self before you become 18.
GCSE's are still extremely important! Everyone has the mindset of 'oh i'm young i don't need to do this blah blah blah' but when it comes down to it GCSEs affect jobs and also even university applications so it's better to actually bother to put the effort in or it'll be regretted
Squirb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tip: don't do it, it's unnecessary to start that early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AJFShaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by musicmusic123)
GCSE's are still extremely important! Everyone has the mindset of 'oh i'm young i don't need to do this blah blah blah' but when it comes down to it GCSEs affect jobs and also even university applications so it's better to actually bother to put the effort in or it'll be regretted
I agree GCSE's are important but the fact is... They're not that important/hard to be starting a year early revision at all. IMO 4 months before GCSE exams is sufficient time for revision where as A-Levels START ASAP!
musicmusic123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AJFShaz)
I agree GCSE's are important but the fact is... They're not that important/hard to be starting a year early revision at all. IMO 4 months before GCSE exams is sufficient time for revision where as A-Levels START ASAP!
If they've got nothing better to do and have expressed an interest in doing a bit of revision then where's the harm? It's better than sitting around doing bugger-all and they did mention mocks which can contribute to sixth from/ college applications as the teachers often use them to determine predicted grades
luminite28
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Infinity_4652)
Other than the usual english language, maths and core science, what subjects will you be doing?
Food tech, Geography, Classical civilisation and add maths
Taci
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I say relax until start of next year, and then crack down to a great start- putting in 3-4 hours of work in each day for a couple of weeks (Just to get your head back in gear after a long break)

Take it easy though, as you don't want to to burn out! I like the quote, "smart work, as well as hard work"- of course you also need to put in a lot of hard work to get the grades!
xxxKINGxxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get a skill or hobby seriously, if you really want to think about the future picking up a new hobby will be more attractive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Peaches and Cream
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, I just finished my GCSEs this year and did NO work in the summer between Year 10 and 11. I managed fine, so honestly you don't really need to do work. Spend time relaxing, relishing the lie-ins, meeting friends and just taking a break from it all.

However, if you're really keen to get work done over the summer, what would have helped me was to have all my revision notes ready for the start of Year 11. This would have meant I could spend more time doing past papers or whatever during Easter and study leave. So, what I'd say is make your notes/flashcards/mind maps, but don't specifically get into what I call hardcore revision (past papers/drilling stuff into your brain...).

Hope that helps! Good luck, but don't forget to thoroughly relax, or you'll regret is come term time!
AJFShaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by musicmusic123)
If they've got nothing better to do and have expressed an interest in doing a bit of revision then where's the harm? It's better than sitting around doing bugger-all and they did mention mocks which can contribute to sixth from/ college applications as the teachers often use them to determine predicted grades
Yes totally agree! If you have a keen interest then go for it , but don't start by using the syllabus explore using various books and online resources.

But you're right in many ways!
Infinity_4652
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Food tech, Geography, Classical civilisation and add maths
Call up your school and ask them for the examboards they use for the subjects you have chosen.
From the examboard website, you will the specification which has everything you need to know about your subjects - exam modules and subject content.

The specifications are really useful - i have done this before and it has helped me a lot!
If you can print the bullet pointed checklist on it telling you what you need to know for the exams, please do so and make yourself familiar with the checklist.

Dont forget to also ask them for the study books they use, order these books on amazon and spend some time reading them.

I hope this helps! All the best!!
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Squirb)
Tip: don't do it, it's unnecessary to start that early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This.

Just don't bother.
Idle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly starting over the summer, especially for GCSE's just seems overkill. You can do other things like making sure any notes you require are in order, that you have all the stationary/folders/books that you will require for next year etc..
Aliman04
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes revise in the holidays and learn all of the curriculum for next year. That’s what I’m doing and did in year 9. I knew everything already and it was so much better!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads