Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought population, industry and managing resources were all very easy.

ReputationRep:
    I did kenya mentioned allsorts...also mentioned belize as an example of another LEDC trying to solve some of these problems...For that 9 marker did you use case studies?

ReputationRep:
    For the Declining Industry question using examples I put 'Isle of Dogs' as the example for Coal-based industry. However I think this might be wrong, although i gave all the correct reasons why coal-based factrories in general have closed down. Would my reasons be awarded marks? Or would getting the place wrong bring the whole thing down?

ReputationRep:
    tim_45: I did but I can't remember what exactly, and what did you put for Kenya? I put about how shop keepers raise their prices for tourists so local residents cant afford goods, then in turn these residents start growing their own food and produce and therefore when the tourism declines the shop keepers will have lost out on business in the long wrong.... Probably COMPLETELY wrong?

ReputationRep:
    ermm i split it into SEEP like we were taught

Social-some cultures forced out of land, little or no respect from tourists
    Economic-Although a large influx of tourists the country recieves very little
    Environmental-Rubbish, pollution and safari trails destroy landscape
    Political-LEDC countries compete for tourism placing unnecessary strain on goverments.

ReputationRep:
    damn, ****ed that question then

ReputationRep:
    o Jay, it doesnt matter lol tbh this paper is only worth 35% which means each mark you drop is only 0.46% of total grade.

An yes the points you made are correct, its a similar conflict in the lake district where tourists buy second homes and means that locals cannot afford them. You will get some marks for what you put!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim 45)
    o Jay, it doesnt matter lol tbh this paper is only worth 35% which means each mark you drop is only 0.46% of total grade.

An yes the points you made are correct, its a similar conflict in the lake district where tourists buy second homes and means that locals cannot afford them. You will get some marks for what you put!!!
    Hehe cool man, just seems like your answer was much more detailed than mine as I was mainly guessing what could be disadvantages as I couldn't remember :p:

ReputationRep:
    lol...usually common sense is advantages and disadvantages, i thought that Q on global warming was a bit funny. I realised half way through it wanted you to go on about UV being trapped and heating the earth. Basically turn the diagram into words for 6 marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim 45)
    lol...usually common sense is advantages and disadvantages, i thought that Q on global warming was a bit funny. I realised half way through it wanted you to go on about UV being trapped and heating the earth. Basically turn the diagram into words for 6 marks!
    yeah, i was so confused about it! I basically just described what was going on in the diagram, d'u think there was anything else to it - to get the whole 6marks?

ReputationRep:
    i dont really know...i extended it a bit saying things like where the main sources were and then explained the diagram.

ReputationRep:
    I also did Population, Industry, and Resources, and felt it was quite easy, which was surprising because I did very little revision yesterday, and intended to wake up at 7 - 8 this morning to start learning the stuff properly, but only woke up at 11.

(Original post by Frosty3001)
    I did Population, Industry and Managing Resources.

The Industrial Pollution one was awful- hadn't learn anything. I spoke about the Cambridge Science Park how it reduces the size of free Greenfield land which would originally be used for farming and animal habitats (although I am not sure if this would be granted), so then I spoke about the Nuclear Energy Station in Calder Hall, about how uranium leakages ruined crops and natural environment- but I am not sure if there even have been leaks!

Also when it asked for the Declining industry example, is the Isle of Dogs and coal-based industry?
    The industrial pollution question was the only one I wasn't really sure about; I talked about how the Rhine-Ruhr area in Germany had the highest density of industry in the whole EU, mentioned some of the industries there, and then made vague comments about common sense things like quarrying and sulphur dioxide leading to acid rain. Oh well.

(Original post by thatblokejay)
    Did anyone do the question on "Explain, using examples how the growth of tourism can bring disadvantages to an LEDC" and if so, what example did you write about? I did Kenya, but I was just sort of guessing a bit..
    For that question I also talked about Kenya; I think I made the following points:

- The coral is often taken away as a souvenir, or can be damaged by boats.
    - The minibuses used for safaris go near to the animals, disturbing them, and churn up the ground.
    - Most of the money goes out of the country to the tour operators and holiday companies.
    - The over-reliance on tourism led to severe economic consequences after tourism plummeted following the terrorism in 1997.
    - The native Masai Mara are often exploited by the tour operators.

ReputationRep:
    wow....u guys lifted my spirits on this....i seem to have got most points mentioned here! im amazed....though dystopia....i wasnt as specific as that....u are gna get full marks for that! lol.

seeing this...i guess i shudnt really be worrying about this paper at all....still there are a few things which are a bit

for the global warming one....i think its asking u more that just the diagram....i mean 6 marks! lucky i checked the mark scheme yesterday....it says something like the fact that global warming and its reasons are still controvertial. widespread belief is that u no CO2 greenhouse etc....but there are other views also and students should show 'awareness of that' so im guessin they wud like the other half of the argument too...?? like um...'urban heat island' effect and crap...

the question was like 'possible reasons' of GW.....

ReputationRep:
    lol we had just been taught that global warming was caused by CO2 and methane released from factories and as car emissions. Then what GW means to the environment. I really couldnt think of much else to put apart from the diagram because it said something like explain why global warming heats up the earth or something like that??

ReputationRep:
    apologies yes possible reasons, so the production of CO2 and then explain why the GLOBE WARMS because of it. You are explaining reasons, car emissions and CO2, then the uv is partially reflected etc..i dont thnik there are other arguments for it, i think it is widely recognised and has been proved that it is CO2 and methane

ReputationRep:
    ah thats where u become the european voice! its mainly a widespread european belief. US ...on the other hand has MANY differernt arguments....thats why its not ratifying the kyoto treaty...(supposedly...lol)

believe me i jus checked yesterday....a million other arguments....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy

check out the supporters and opposers section!

ReputationRep:
    What exactly did people put for the cartoon and the global warming question in reources? For the first one...I mentioned recycling not being environmentally friendly and the other poster wanting more people to recycle (*gee, state the obvious*) but for the global warming, i chatted on about greenhouse gases for the whole thing...

Oh and the 6 mark questions...according to the mark schemes from the last few years, you need "at least 2" DETAILED points for all 6 marks

ReputationRep:
    this paper wasn't too bad, did population, industry and development. i looked at the managing resources one and could've have done it much better than development just realised that too late. i gave every case study i could, like that 9 marker in industry i wrote on every topic they had there and wrote on redcar lackenby. i thought the papers have been pretty easy cept the q on 'pollution in industry' and thought the cartoons were a bit strange...

ReputationRep:
    I think most people chatted about greenhouse gases and the ways it warms up because others are not on specification. Also see my earlier post, im not too bothered about gettin 4/6 as what i lose is less than a % overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kquishir)
    i used 2 sides of an extra sheet and kept on writing from start to finish!

did anyone elsE?
    HEY!!!

Yeah...I used 1 and a bit sides of supplementary paper...they never seemed to give enough space for some of the 6 markers...and for the 9 marker in Agriculture...I filled up like all the space they gave, plus all the blank page beneath it!!!

Anyway, did anybody else answer Settlement, Agriculture or Development???

What did you think of them???

Is it only me who seemed to struggle for time...writing right until the end...

Does anyone else think the boundaries will go down as a result of too many case study/6 mark questions (there's usually only one 6 mark question right at the end of each topic)///

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.