Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm between the MA future media pro in BCU and an MA Advertising and Design in University of Leeds. But right now, BCU seems like the right choice because of the whole program it offers. The only thing that's making me doubt is the fact of having to live in Birmingham.
    I've read it's really gray and "poor" and not too safe. What do you guys think?
    Has anyone done this course?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've not done the course, but I can answer the "really gray and "poor" and not to safe" part of Birmingham. I went to BCU 3years ago, and I never actually thought about the decision (I applied for university a few days before deadline, as was joining the RM) So I picked somewhere that I kind of knew, and Birmingham was the choice. I have been living here for 3years now, just finished my degree, and actually going onto another degree, at BCU again.

I actually love the feel of Birmingham, apart from the fact it looks flat and is actually one of the hilliest (slight) places I have ever known. But the reason its so good, is because the whole of Birmingham is basically a student zone. You have BCU, UOB, Aston, countless of colleges etc. all in a farther small place, so you are always going to have the "****" side of Birmingham, where people try to mug you, but not any more than London. The difference is that there are so many Students everywhere, that many of them are just scared of their own shadow.

I have known people that have been "mugged" before a few times, but most of the time its because they deserved it, if you walk down flashing of something valuable you're going to get targeted. City center (Millennium Point) is allot safer than Perry Barr.. I think thats where you would be. I personally have never had any "muggings" I am a 6ft2 Male. I guess they pick on the easier targets. But all in all its a pretty safe place, just use some street smarts and you'll be fine.

In regards to the Birmingham in different areas, the night life is awesome. Can go out every night if you want, like I said its all students, so there is a student night every single night. Allot is catered for the Student to, lots of places to eat, shop, have fun. There isn't allot in the terms of "doing things" other than a city centre things. But you'll never be bored, I wasn't. Why I'm doing it again.

I travel a fair amount from playing poker, and have seen allot of cities. And the only place I would rather be than Birmingham is London.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you your info was REALLY useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even I am thinking of joining BCU for Future Media, so since its been 5 years, how was the course and how is BCU and is it a safe place now?😊

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.