The Student Room Group

Alternative careers in medicine without much experience?

Hey guys,

I am seriously falling out of love with medicine, I haven't enjoyed being in the hospital for a couple of years now, in fact it's starting to really get me down :frown:

I was wondering what alternative careers eg. Pharmaceuticals, research etc. are available to people with a medical degree but not much clinical experience after receiving it?
Reply 1
Original post by Ciaran88
Hey guys,

I am seriously falling out of love with medicine, I haven't enjoyed being in the hospital for a couple of years now, in fact it's starting to really get me down :frown:

I was wondering what alternative careers eg. Pharmaceuticals, research etc. are available to people with a medical degree but not much clinical experience after receiving it?

Perhaps FY1 will change your mind? A change of location and hospitals may make a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by carcinoma
Perhaps FY1 will change your mind? A change of location and hospitals may make a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I won't be too cynical on TSR but.. It's been a long time coming really and it's early days into FY1 so I won't pass judgement yet but I haven't felt like this is the job for me for a while now really.
Reply 3
Hey guys,

Sorry to hear that :frown:
I know you said alternatives to medicine but have you thought about the GP route?

Research is of course the classic one, but there are others where people with a medical degree will be highly valued.

You will have so many transferable skills to other industries.
I found this thread from ages ago - could be useful http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=782444

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I won't be too cynical on TSR but.. It's been a long time coming really and it's early days into FY1 so I won't pass judgement yet but I haven't felt like this is the job for me for a while now really.

Fair enough.

What is it that doesn't appeal to you anymore? Don't worry about being too cynical.

Try this website http://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/tools_and_resources/alternative_careers_options.aspx

EDIT: http://medicalsuccess.net/careers-advice/alternative-medical-careers/

That's the one I was looming for.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by carcinoma
Fair enough.

What is it that doesn't appeal to you anymore? Don't worry about being too cynical.

It's not so much medicine as medicine in the UK. Endless scut work, a constantly pressurised environment, stress stress stress.. I know it's the same in various other countries but I've worked in others where doctors in general seemed a lot more.. Happy?

Thanks for the replies guys ill look into these options. I have always wanted to practice tropical medicine abroad but I learnt that thats also very stressful full time, so I'm starting to think I might do that part time and the rest... Something completely different, maybe even non-medical.

In which case I don't know how much more I need to stick with the NHS training programmes etc..
Reply 6
It's not so much medicine as medicine in the UK. Endless scut work, a constantly pressurised environment, stress stress stress.. I know it's the same in various other countries but I've worked in others where doctors in general seemed a lot more.. Happy?

Thanks for the replies guys ill look into these options. I have always wanted to practice tropical medicine abroad but I learnt that thats also very stressful full time, so I'm starting to think I might do that part time and the rest... Something completely different, maybe even non-medical.

In which case I don't know how much more I need to stick with the NHS training programmes etc..

Your deanery will have a careers advice service, which should include dealing with people who are thinking of leaving medicine. Might be worth tracking them down for a chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
Your deanery will have a careers advice service, which should include dealing with people who are thinking of leaving medicine. Might be worth tracking them down for a chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Helenia I didn't think to try them, I contact some support service at the deanery though, but ill try them too.
Reply 8

Considered any surgical/anaesthesia routes (i.e., routes other than "proper" medicine)?
EDIT: I don't start medical school until September, but I'm just throwing it out there!
DOUBLE-EDIT: Bloody hell GUYS I know surgery, etc is obviously legit, I mean, it's what I want to go into myself! What I meant is specialties that aren't so much ward round based D:
Was just trying to help!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Public Health, Research, Lab work?, Lecturing, erm going on to do another degree, Masters in something like sport science, clinical science or so? a role in a pharmaceutical company?
Original post by Djinne
Considered any surgical/anaesthesia routes (i.e., routes other than "proper" medicine)?
EDIT: I don't start medical school until September, but I'm just throwing it out there!

I'm pretty sure that many surgeons and anaesthetists won't appreciate that statement! I believe the thread here is discussing Medicine as a whole, not medicine as in the specialty/set of specialties.
Reply 11
Original post by Mushi_master
I'm pretty sure that many surgeons and anaesthetists won't appreciate that statement! I believe the thread here is discussing Medicine as a whole, not medicine as in the specialty/set of specialties.

You know what I mean D; Surgery specialty is best specialty anyway, if you ask me :]
But I see your point :\ Well, I have nothing else of significant value to add!
Reply 12
Original post by Djinne

Come and take my exams and tell me that anaesthesia is not "proper" medicine.

Though it is very different (and so much more fun) than the life of a houseplant in most specialties, including surgery.
Reply 13
Original post by Djinne
You know what I mean D; Surgery specialty is best specialty anyway, if you ask me :]
But I see your point :\ Well, I have nothing else of significant value to add!

I'm rather curious as to how the second biggest speciality (second only to GP if I remember rightly) isn't proper medicine. Especially given their role running intensive care (medical intensivists are a relatively recent phenomenon and are set to remain a minority)
Reply 14
Original post by 345rty
I'm rather curious as to how the second biggest speciality (second only to GP if I remember rightly) isn't proper medicine. Especially given their role running intensive care (medical intensivists are a relatively recent phenomenon and are set to remain a minority)

See my edit :|
Reply 15
Original post by Helenia
Come and take my exams and tell me that anaesthesia is not "proper" medicine.

Though it is very different (and so much more fun) than the life of a houseplant in most specialties, including surgery.

NoooOoOo please see my edit D;
I know it's legitimate medicine, I just meant specialties that aren't ward round based :frown: I obviously worded it terribly :|

But while I have your attention I'd like to say you are my TSR god :biggrin: Sorry I managed to piss you off by accident >_<
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Djinne
NoooOoOo please see my edit D;
I know it's legitimate medicine, I just meant specialties that aren't ward round based :frown: I obviously worded it terribly :|

But while I have your attention I'd like to say you are my TSR god :biggrin: Sorry I managed to piss you off by accident >_<

This is why you shouldn't post in this sub-forum until you've enrolled :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by Mushi_master
This is why you shouldn't post in this sub-forum until you've enrolled :wink:

:'(

You are right :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by MedMed12
Public Health, Research, Lab work?, Lecturing, erm going on to do another degree, Masters in something like sport science, clinical science or so? a role in a pharmaceutical company?

Public health is intriguing.. what kind of experience do you need? I can't find any vacancies in my area atm.
Reply 19
Public health is intriguing.. what kind of experience do you need? I can't find any vacancies in my area atm.

As a medic I think it requires a masters in public health and is a ?5 year runthrough training.

It is also the only area where you can get a consultant post as a non medic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending