My 6th Form is stupid! Watch

Matt1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Im really cheesed off! Basically my head of year has basically said I can't drop business studies. Im goin Maths, Physics with the school and self learning Further Maths and Additional Further Maths.

The reasons I can't drop business studies even though I despise it and hate it.

Because they think I can get an A. They think that by picking M, FM, AFM and Physics that I'm narrowing my options at University, but I want to study Maths at Uni, durhhhhh!
They also said that you can only get a maximum of 360 UCAS points even if you get 4 A's as they discard 'AFM'. I mean wtf and its really pissed me off!

Watch me terrorize my business class!
Steeeeevo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Matt1989)
Im really cheesed off! Basically my head of year has basically said I can't drop business studies. Im goin Maths, Physics with the school and self learning Further Maths and Additional Further Maths.

The reasons I can't drop business studies even though I despise it and hate it.

Because they think I can get an A. They think that by picking M, FM, AFM and Physics that I'm narrowing my options at University, but I want to study Maths at Uni, durhhhhh!
They also said that you can only get a maximum of 360 UCAS points even if you get 4 A's as they discard 'AFM'. I mean wtf and its really pissed me off!

Watch me terrorize my business class!
Thats good if you want to do maths / physics but whats to say you wont change your mind in the future, possible even at university; if your A-Levels only set you up to be able to study a few particular subjects and you find you dont like those subjects at degree level without some sort or variation your stuffed. Also top universities like variation on your UCAS form, makes you look more interesting as it means you have knowledge and interest in more areas than what you are studying so it might be worth keeping your business studies.
sunday
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they can't physically make you do it, it's your future that should be more important, not what will look good for them as a school. If you want to drop it, they have to let you
tomdav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it would show your flexibility if you could cope with a more essay focused subject like business as well as all of the others which would be perfect for an Oxbridge application in some ways if thats what you want.

Also if your going to get an A...why not

Obviously they cant make you but it might not be such a bad idea, still enjoy terrorizing your business class though haha.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not stupid. It's a very good idea. Many places won't recognise Further Maths as a qualification, so when you're looking for a job after graduating, all you really have is 2 A Levels. You'll find it hard to get anything. Business Studies is easy, so if you can cope with all that maths you should be able to do it.
lady_me
Report 12 years ago
UCAS -a pain in the backside!

You dislike Business Studies you'll only just become frustrated and angry with it and could actually affect your grade! You should do something your happy with. -That is from experience!

As with Uni's, I found that UCAS were a pain in the back side as they had lmited information and couldn't answer most of my questions with Uni, as in which ones allow me to do 3 subjects for a degree etc. In the end, I spoke to the University directly, including the heads of department.

If you did want to go to University, the ones you are intrested in, contact the head of that department and ask their opinion with further maths etc. I know many lecturers are very annoyed with As / new A-levels. Apparently, because of more subjects, they are not as in-depth and broad (this isn't my opinion, this is what I have learnt through research and published info) As in, due to the number of subjects making it more of a workload, the subjects aren't as heavy going. Lecturers think that there is not enough knowledge for what lies ahead and find that they are teaching students stuff they should of been taught at A-level.
Therefore, further maths maybe of great benefit and, many Universities state A-Level or equivelent....

Hope this is of some help.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmmm, I can see both sides of the debate here. On one hand, I can see the point quite a few people have made that business studies would widen your range because (Additional) Further Maths aren't always seen as separate subjects. But on the other hand, taking 5 A2s wil be loads of work and business studies isn't relevant for what you want to do at university, not to mention not particularly respected by said universitie anyway.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like my 6th form but it was so much hassle to get onto psychology which they hadn't put down on my subjects and they said I could do it, they also made a really big issue but i'm fine now, I was thinking about going to college if i couldn't do psychology, I don't even like psychology now lol.
juicylgd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
surely they cant make you, as it's optional, and you choose to be there?
would be cool if you choose to carry on with it though
juicylgd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
surely they cant make you, as it's optional, and you choose to be there?
would be cool if you choose to carry on with it though
sax gal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do what you want! I think you should do what you will enjoy the most, because you will have the motivation to work hard and succeed! have a good think about what you would rather do next year and i would advise you to go with that!
*sazzy*
Report 12 years ago
I'm in exactly the same boat as you!! (only i want to drop maths) :rolleyes:

They won't let me leave the subject even though i have no intention of carrying on with it next year...(i intend to do the three sciences instead). The point is, i'm being forced there 6 lessons a week to learn a module of work that i'm not even going to be sitting an exam for.... to me it just seems like a total waste of time so have only been to about 2 lessons...

It's my stupid head of year's fault...who actually LIED to me when i asked her why i cant drop it now....her excuse being "if you fail one of your other subjects you'd have to carry on with it"...not true...i have proof...ugh..

anyhoo, just out of curiosity....you don't happen to be the same matt as in the one at my sixth form do u? only you sound veeerry familiar....and he wants to drop business and takes lots of maths too..hehe xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1497)
79.54%
Leave (385)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed