Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand you guys! The paper was really easy!!! At least 90%. The parametrics were simply a case of substitution and getting it into the form they wanted it. In part two they asked for an expression for dy/dx, this was then used in parts three and four. This question did pose a few other people in my school a problem, but other than that the general; concensus was that it was a relatively straight forward paper.

ReputationRep:
    so is it definately 72 for the paper and 18 for the comp? i thought the paper was 54 (ie 72-18) to make a total of 72? please tell me i'm wrong, i worked my prob percentage out using paper=54 and comp=18 ????

ReputationRep:
    no its 72marks for the paper+18 marks for the comp. = 90 marks in total.
    that paper was the hardest i've ever sat. its not even my revision thats to blame. i could do all of last years C4 relatively easily but this years stumped me...crap. i probably left out half of that paper.

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting to walk into the exam and get my A with ease. I was fine up until i got 2 section B where i just couldnt see how to do the bridge question, this totally through me off for the rest of the paper n comprhension

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazi24633)
    i got told the answer to last question was 120 degrees.. (cant find degrees sign!) i got 60, forgot to take away from 180 i think
    It could be either 60 or 120 coz it didnt specify if it wanted the acute or the obtuse degree!

Overall.....

-i cudnt do the partial fractions question (i'm such an IDIOT) - i made up the results for B and C and used them in part (ii)...i cudnt do the trig proof (qu. 3 - tanX = sina/(2-cos a) ?!1!)

-differential eqn, volume of revolution and express in the form rsin(x-a) were very ncie qu's

-in qu6, i left out the last 2 parts completely, i didnt have a clue....

-qu7 was nice altho i'm not sure if i managed to find the coordinate of point D....

the comprehension was nicer than others i had seen, despite how nasty it seemed when reading it....

Overall i reckon i got b/w 65-70 / 100...Which i'm dissapointed at coz even tho i only need 41/100 to get an A (presuming atleast 70/100 in S2) i wanted to do better n feel accomplished, n i ddint do as well as i cud have done on that paper!

oh well, if only i wud have sat it in january, that paper was really easy!

ReputationRep:
    ye the grade boundaries will be lower because you only had 2 get 55% in the january exam to get an A. i thought this was harder. especially question 6. What the hell was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    no its 72marks for the paper+18 marks for the comp. = 90 marks in total.
    i love you

ReputationRep:
    wot was number 4 on about sin(feta+gamma)+ 2sinfeta, i didnt understand this can someone help me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shearer_9)
    wot was number 4 on about sin(feta+gamma)+ 2sinfeta, i didnt understand this can someone help me out
    you had to write sin(x+y) as sinxcosy + cosxsiny. and then mess about with it until you had the expression for tan x that they wanted. this gave tan x in terms of y. then you were told to solve sin (x+40) so you know y = 40. put this into the tan x = ...... and solve to find x.

when i saw it at first i couldnt see how to get the tan x = ... but i got there ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzielizzie)
    i love you
    lol. its a common response...:rolleyes:

seriously, I told my parents the paper went fine coz I know they'd get sooo stressy about me cutting it fine when it comes to getting the A I need. I'm counting on S2 to pull me through this one - COME ON S2!!!

ReputationRep:
    but it sed sin(x+y)=2sinx. i just avnt got a clue how it equals that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    lol. its a common response...:rolleyes:

seriously, I told my parents the paper went fine coz I know they'd get sooo stressy about me cutting it fine when it comes to getting the A I need. I'm counting on S2 to pull me through this one - COME ON S2!!!
    lol i do that after every exam, no matter how it went just tell the parents it was fine!!! stops all the questions! and nagging about revision :P

ReputationRep:
    Your not the only once counting on s2, i thought i did really good in that 1 so you never kno i might just get my A

ReputationRep:
    My god that exam was hard.
    I've left so many blanks, my mind was all over the place and I just wrote rubbish. I remember thinking during the first half an hour, 'I'm gonna get a U, or maybe an E... I wonder what 20/75 may turn out to be... I'm not gonna get into uni!!'

Ooh I got 60 for the angle thing - hmm wonder what grade 1/75 translates into...

Assuming I've managed a very good mark in Stats, I can scrape an A overall with around 40% in C4. But I don't even know if I've managed that at all. Argh, hate maths. It's always been my weakest subject as well.

That said, I had to smile at the end of the exam, knowing it was the last bit of maths I'd ever do again! I'll just keep my fingers crossed for results day!

ReputationRep:
    sinxcosy + cosxsiny = 2sinx
    sinxcosy - 2sinx = -cosxsiny
    sinx (cosy - 2) = -cosxsiny
    sinx = -cosxsiny/(cosy - 2)
    tanx = -siny/(cosy - 2)
    tanx = siny/(2 - cosy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnight_tiptoe)
    I remember thinking during the first half an hour, 'I'm gonna get a U, or maybe an E... I wonder what 20/75 may turn out to be... I'm not gonna get into uni!!'
    omg I did that too! after section A I looked at the wall and saw there was only about half an hour left and thought - "that's it - my offer's gone down the drain. what are you gonna do for a whole year while you resit/reapply?" i looked around the room at the end and most ppl just looked like they were gonna cry. i don't think exams are worth crying over tho - regardless of whats at stake...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I needed a good mark in this to get an A. I found Section A ok but Section B was just..ugh especially question 6 i mean wtf.

Does anyone know cos I've been wondering, as it was a hard paper and a lot of people found it hard (even further maths students) whether and how much the UMS mark will go up by?

Appreciate it if anyone has a rough idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    sinxcosy + cosxsiny = 2sinx
    sinxcosy - 2sinx = -cosxsiny
    sinx (cosy - 2) = -cosxsiny
    sinx = -cosxsiny/(cosy - 2)
    tanx = -siny/(cosy - 2)
    tanx = siny/(2 - cosy)
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! it looks so easy now goddammit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpfoxhunt)
    i think it WAS a horribly large number.
    Yeah i got 3000 and something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azza777)
    you only had 2 get 55% in the january exam to get an A.
    really?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.