The Student Room Group

Urgent advice

I applied for a 3 year degree in Psychology at the University of Hull.

I received a conditional offer of acquiring 45 merits on my Access to HE course.

Unfortunately, I did not meet my offer as I received 21 merits and the rest at pass.

The University of Hull sent me an email offering me a place on the 4 year program with a foundation year which they updated on UCAS,

Now here is where I have a problem. Whilst on the Access Course, I did GCSE Maths along side the course but due to family problems I was unable to commit to it and dropped out.

The University are now waiting on my GCSE Maths result but I'm not sure where to go from here. I am now concerned my place will be jeopardized due to this.

Shall I email or ring the admissions team?
Do you think I still have a chance on the 4 year programme?
Original post by itskimmy

I received a conditional offer of acquiring 45 merits on my Access to HE course.

Unfortunately, I did not meet my offer as I received 21 merits and the rest at pass.

The University of Hull sent me an email offering me a place on the 4 year program with a foundation year which they updated on UCAS,

Now here is where I have a problem. Whilst on the Access Course, I did GCSE Maths along side the course but due to family problems I was unable to commit to it and dropped out.

The University are now waiting on my GCSE Maths result but I'm not sure where to go from here. I am now concerned my place will be jeopardized due to this.

Ring them and explain everything you just said.

I don't know whether the offer will still stand, but you need to contact the admissions tutor because there's no point delaying the inevitable if they're waiting on a result they'll never get.
Reply 3
I have decided to type out an email but I don't want my wording to blow it.

I am very pleased to be offered a place on the 4 year programme with foundation year C802.

In terms of my Maths GCSE, unfortunately I was unable to continue on the course due family problems at the time.

Kind Regards

Is this any good, shall I add in about my concerns?

I am very pleased to be offered a place on the 4 year programme with foundation year C802.

In terms of my Maths GCSE, unfortunately I was unable to continue on the course due family problems at the time.

Kind Regards

I personally feel you should mention it (Feel free to ignore this suggestion)

Thank you for offering me a place on the 4 year programme with foundation year C802.

In terms of my Maths GCSE, unfortunately I was unable to continue on the course due family problems at the time. As such, is my offer still valid or should I expect to go in to clearing?

I appreciate any help and advice you can give me in advance!

Kind Regards
Hello Itskimmy,

There is some very good advice in this thread. I would say that it is definitely worth contacting individual institutions that you are interested in to find out what they say. Often there will be an entire infrastructure in place to deal with clearing, and different places might adopt a different approach. For instance, in Sheffield we are currently running something called 'Go Higher' to help potential candidates to understand and be able to navigate the clearing process: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing

Very best of luck with your results!
Reply 6
Original post by BenP
I personally feel you should mention it (Feel free to ignore this suggestion)

Thank you for offering me a place on the 4 year programme with foundation year C802.

In terms of my Maths GCSE, unfortunately I was unable to continue on the course due family problems at the time. As such, is my offer still valid or should I expect to go in to clearing?

I appreciate any help and advice you can give me in advance!

Kind Regards

Thanks a bunch. :biggrin:
Reply 7

Kind Regards

I would be tempted to ring them rather than email as some places do take a while to reply to emails. So i would ring them up and then ask an email sent to you confirming everything they have said.

This way if they do reject you you can apply to Uni's in clearing asap.
Be proactive and phone them.
Phone don't email.

(but when you ring ask for and write down the name and job title of who you speak to, the date/time and what they say - and feel free to ask them to email you to confirm what they say in writing)
Reply 10
Well I got an automated response that that she is away until 12th August so am I going to phone in.

Edit: Rang in and will get a phone call back.

Very nervous.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending