Side-effects of Microgynon 30?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I've just started on the pill, and I was put on Microgynon 30. I'm just wondering what the side effects will be? Does it make you put on weight? Does it give you bigger boobs? I know on the side-effects it says you gain weight but I just want to hear your personal stories so please let me know!
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I've just started on the pill, and I was put on Microgynon 30. I'm just wondering what the side effects will be? Does it make you put on weight? Does it give you bigger boobs? I know on the side-effects it says you gain weight but I just want to hear your personal stories so please let me know!
Different side effects for different people. Made me gain lots of weight and some of it did go to my boobs. Made me have moods swings too, not a pretty sight :nope:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Different side effects for different people. Made me gain lots of weight and some of it did go to my boobs. Made me have moods swings too, not a pretty sight :nope:
If you don't mind me asking, how much weight did you put on? And did your boobs get significantly bigger? See I don't want to put on weight but wouldn't mind bigger boobs haha. Ohh dear, were they bad mood swings? Did you get them often? :/
lozzielizzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
nausea and mood swings for me, suppose weight gain as well. I got to get change to another pill as I always get nausea in the morning because of it. Just haven't had a chance to get to the gp to change it.
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It gave me lighter, regular (obviously) periods. I would love to tell you I've gotten bigger boobs out it but no, I just remain baby free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iluvmcr88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Gave me mood swings for about 3 months, but most pills do because it messes with your hormone levels. Also made my periods lighter and bearable, which was the main reason for going on it. I didn't put on weight though, and I'm not sure if it made my boobs bigger as they're forever growing anyway. I was on this one for about 2 years and had no problems, but had to change because of health reasons.
Becky15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I just say it doesn't make you out on weight per say but it increases your appetite, it will not directly put the weight on you.
lleuadllawn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take microgynon 30. For me, it's amazing. Before my period pain was so bad I would be crying, pale, sweaty, taking loads of painkillers. Now I can just take paracetemol. I haven't noticed any side effects at all, and have taken them since I was 13? They might have made boobs bigger but not sure (I'm a C). Haven't experienced weight gain. Think they made my sister go sick though, but then she switched to a different microgynon (blue packet instead of green)
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you don't mind me asking, how much weight did you put on? And did your boobs get significantly bigger? See I don't want to put on weight but wouldn't mind bigger boobs haha. Ohh dear, were they bad mood swings? Did you get them often? :/
I can't remember, it was about five years ago, sorry! I have a few pictures from that time and I looked awful. I was just hungry all the time.
cfhurley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been on that pill for 4 years now. I experienced weight gain but my boobs got bigger so I wasn't too fussed. We're talking 4 bra sizes.
The best side effect is I have remained baby free!
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Microgynon didn't make me put any weight on, made my boobs a touch bigger and me slightly moodier but in general it was good.
iJess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Affects everyone differently but for me was awful. Gained about 3 or 4 stone was always hungry, went on it to control my periods was on microgynon 30 for a year but made them worse, I was wearing those thick night time pads and still managing to leak. I'd sit in my room and cry and feel like my life wasn't worth living, mood swings & headaches. My period pains were worse too. Went to my doctor and got diagnosed with depression from the pill & got switched to a lower dose pill loestrin 20 and eventually mercilon, both really good pills, would never touch microgynon again because the hormones in it. I think my doctor said the other two didn't have a hormone that microgynon has in it and microgynon is a higher hormone my body just didn't agree with it.
madders94
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had mood swings and very low sex drive, which negated the whole point of being on the Pill in the first place!
TheWishDragon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've found when I go off them my depression comes back and I go off like a nut case, and this is constant.

On it I have mood swings…the smallest things can set me off.
Whilst being on it my cramps are actually worse.
Being dry in the lady department… buy some lube… xD;
My sex drive is extremely low, almost nothing a lot of the time.
And hello weight gain? o.o;

When I'm off it my appetite is normal… on it.. I'm hungry all the time...
calmpeach
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had really bad moodswings and became very sensitive to small issues so I used to cry at almost everything and anything haha...
For about three months I was really badly bloated so could have contributed towards the weight loss as I didn't want to eat anything.
These symptoms subsided after about 3 months

Also I thought I'd mention.. When I took two packs back to back, I experienced the bloating again and it didn't go away until my pill free week.

Hope this helps, but remember different people respond to the pill differently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coke Or Pepsi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take Microgynon 30 and haven't experienced any side effects in terms of breast size, personality or weight. It hasn't had any effect on me whatsoever in terms of my skin, body hair etc either, whereas many people witness some effect. Generally, side effects include enlarged breasts, mood swings, increased weight, body hair becoming more delicate (for example, pubic or on the legs), and reduced acne. The only change Microgynon provided for me, alongside obviously acting as a contraceptive tool, was that it really helped me with my god-awful period pains. They didn't become lighter, but they hurt much less - it was still painful, but it was more of a discomfort than 'omg I'm going to pass out' pain that it usually is. If anything, I also think it helped me with my mood issues... I'm usually really sensitive and cry a lot over little things, but when I took the pill, I seemed much more in control of my emotions - however, this may have just been a timing thing, rather than the pill actually doing things The point is, I haven't personally witnessed mood swings at all

However, other side effects, which a GP or sexual health adviser will tell you about, include the likes of increased risk of breast and ovarian cancer, increased risk of blood clots and deep vein thrombosis. Generally, a doctor will ask you if you have a history of either of these in your family, including cardiac problems. They will take your blood pressure and you will be required to come back after 3 months or so when you first start for a check up usually. You are also encouraged to be aware, during your first few months of taking the pill, whether you notice massive differences - a common one is whether you suddenly experience any form of pain, for example, leg pain - this could be indicative of a clot. All these 'other' side effects are really rare, however, and the benefits far exceed the risks!

Good luck

TheHauntedGirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had to come off Microgynon after a couple of months because I had such sever headaches (and went onto Cilest instead which worked great!) but a friend of mine has been on Microgynon for nearly two and half years with no problems at all. It really does just depend on the person, but if you have any side effects you can always ask you GP to prescribe you a different brand
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It affects people in different ways, but all known possible side effects are listed on the instruction leaflet that is included with every pack. Personally I've used it for years and not had any side effects, my weight has stayed pretty much the same and I don't experience mood swings, migraines or anything like that.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
I had mood swings for about 3 months, my boobs grew a cup size (C to D), and my periods now last for about 2-3 days, and extremely light, even so much that I forget i'm on.

Highly recommend it..
Rachelirvine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have recently been put on microgynon, after being on Dianette, and microgynon has made me mental. I'm paranoid, I'm experiencing severe mood swings, severe nausea, almost constant dizziness, I've gained A LOT of weight and my boobs are now uncomfortably bigger. But as everyone has said it's different to every person. You have just got to find the right one for you..whether it is through trail and error or whatever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads