The Student Room Group

Post-university fears

Recently, it has dawned on me that the end is nigh. I will graduate from Kings College London next July, most likely with a 2:1 in history- perhaps a 1:1 if I really put the work in. Family members and friends that I speak to expect that I'm excited; about to embark on that long and varied adventure which is life but in all honesty I'm confused, bewildered and petrified.

I come from a relatively wealthy and privileged background to the extent that during my formative years in secondary school and sixth form I didn't have to find jobs. I was never idle, always making some kind of money by buying and selling items on Ebay. However, now I look to my CV and feel completely overeducated and under-qualified. A stint working at an independent vintage store came to an end during the summer after I completed my advanced highers when the owner (escaping debtors) upped and left with any remaining money. Then, I spent some time working as a porter for an auctioneers before I managed to get a job in a call centre- the money was reasonable, the job? immoral and awful. I left at Christmas. I briefly worked for the caterers Delaware North Companies as a concessions assistant at the Wembley and Arsenal stadiums a position which saw me getting paid less than £30 for seven hour shifts. I worked the contract to its end in June and returned home to Scotland for the summer.

I am now thinking seriously of becoming a teacher, the competitive career-of-choice for will-be graduates like me without ideas or pre-determined ambition. The line of work does actually appeal to me more than some faceless corporate role, I hope to make a difference even if it is in the smallest possible way. To this end I have organised London-based work experience starting in September and will interview for the Beanstalk reading program too.

I was wondering if other people found themselves in a similar position to me, or if I am unique, under-qualified and ultimately doomed?
Original post by Lyman

I was wondering if other people found themselves in a similar position to me, or if I am unique, under-qualified and ultimately doomed?

You aren't doomed, just lacking perspective.

You've got plenty of experience to draw on, and judging by what you have done, you have some connections or a persuasive application style.

You need to spend every spare moment that you aren't revising for your finals, making use of the Careers Centre at King's. They will have several hundred employers visiting in the autumn term at careers fairs, to give presentations etc. Get along to as many as you can and get talking to employers and employees to see what takes your fancy. And get ready to start applying to things from late October. It takes some organisation and focus, but its 3 months in return for a 45 year career - not such a big deal really. Your finals will be much less pressured if you've got a job to take up after graduation.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You aren't doomed, just lacking perspective.

You've got plenty of experience to draw on, and judging by what you have done, you have some connections or a persuasive application style.

You need to spend every spare moment that you aren't revising for your finals, making use of the Careers Centre at King's. They will have several hundred employers visiting in the autumn term at careers fairs, to give presentations etc. Get along to as many as you can and get talking to employers and employees to see what takes your fancy. And get ready to start applying to things from late October. It takes some organisation and focus, but its 3 months in return for a 45 year career - not such a big deal really. Your finals will be much less pressured if you've got a job to take up after graduation.

Thanks for your response, it really is appreciated. Just to clarify, you don't think my CV (described extremely haphazardly) will hinder job prospects?

With regards to my future career I am genuinely interested in becoming a teacher and was thinking of applying for TA positions during the next year to get further classroom-based work experience before going on to apply for the PGCE in late 2014. I intended to consult the Careers centre upon returning to university.

I will visit the various careers fairs in the autumn term, although out of interest what are they useful for. I understand that they display graduate employers and the suchlike but what sort businesses turn up, I can tell you that I'm not cut out to be a city based corporate? furthermore does the event put you in touch with employers to the extent that you might get a job?

Thanks again for your time and help.
With a degree like history I see why you're so worried
Reply 4
Original post by Economic genius
With a degree like history I see why you're so worried

Somewhat unhelpful but true to an extent. History doesn't lend itself to any career as immediately as other qualifications
Original post by Lyman
Somewhat unhelpful but true to an extent. History doesn't lend itself to any career as immediately as other qualifications

I was just joking :frown: a degree in history is amazing! You could go into politics, teaching, writing or really anything that tickles your fancy that isn't scientifical or financial
Original post by Lyman
Thanks for your response, it really is appreciated. Just to clarify, you don't think my CV (described extremely haphazardly) will hinder job prospects?

With regards to my future career I am genuinely interested in becoming a teacher and was thinking of applying for TA positions during the next year to get further classroom-based work experience before going on to apply for the PGCE in late 2014. I intended to consult the Careers centre upon returning to university.

I will visit the various careers fairs in the autumn term, although out of interest what are they useful for. I understand that they display graduate employers and the suchlike but what sort businesses turn up, I can tell you that I'm not cut out to be a city based corporate? furthermore does the event put you in touch with employers to the extent that you might get a job?

Thanks again for your time and help.

The skill in writing a competitive CV is to take the life you've led and distill out of it, just that slice that makes it sound like you've spent all your time preparing to be a [insert job you are applying for]. So a) a CV isn't about the whole picture of you as a person and b) you actually have a CV for each application, so not a CV.

Employers won't bother to send 3 employees and several thousand pounds of direct costs and lost primary business if they don't think these career events are worthwhile, so you need to work out what value you can get out of them. It's a quick way to get lots of literature about different employers, to hear several different angles on the same types of job, to listen to a number of presentations about recruitment, career progression etc. And finally, if people didn't get recruited out of them, they wouldn't occur. Take a loo at the stats on your own course and see what roles and employers people have gone on to do after graduation. The DLHE data is openly available either centrally or through your Uni website.

The University will not only have a Law Fair and an IB Fair and a Consultancy Fair, but its also likely to have a Not for Profit event, Teaching etc etc. It's King's - the Careers Service will be a very large and comprehensive operation!
Honestly, I would worry a little bit. You need to start getting some work experience now - voluntary is fine - because at the moment, it's your experience that will make you stand out, not your qualifications. You still have a year though so there's plenty of time! I'd just put your efforts into making sure you're getting experience and who knows, you might find something you actually want to do for a career afterwards which is different to what you started out looking for. :smile:

e: reading threepointdrift's posts, she's made some excellent points, so definitely do that!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
The skill in writing a competitive CV is to take the life you've led and distill out of it, just that slice that makes it sound like you've spent all your time preparing to be a [insert job you are applying for]. So a) a CV isn't about the whole picture of you as a person and b) you actually have a CV for each application, so not a CV.

Employers won't bother to send 3 employees and several thousand pounds of direct costs and lost primary business if they don't think these career events are worthwhile, so you need to work out what value you can get out of them. It's a quick way to get lots of literature about different employers, to hear several different angles on the same types of job, to listen to a number of presentations about recruitment, career progression etc. And finally, if people didn't get recruited out of them, they wouldn't occur. Take a loo at the stats on your own course and see what roles and employers people have gone on to do after graduation. The DLHE data is openly available either centrally or through your Uni website.

The University will not only have a Law Fair and an IB Fair and a Consultancy Fair, but its also likely to have a Not for Profit event, Teaching etc etc. It's King's - the Careers Service will be a very large and comprehensive operation!

Yeahhh Kings careers service isn't the best in my personal experience!!

But everything everyone has said on this thread is spot on. If you're really interested in teaching set up some work experience - which you already have done! Don't feel like your CV isn't strong - it is; you have lots of transferable skills & clearly the drive to do well. In fact it's good you're thinking about this now.
Too many people wait until after graduation to think about things.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you're interested in going down the teaching route, have a little look at teachfirst

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending