The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

When does the University of Bristol reopen?

I'm going there for my MSc. I'm moving to Bristol in the middle of August (from London) which is about a month before the start of my course. So I'll have a month to get know the city but was wondering when the Uni actually reopens as it would be closed right now due to the end of term? I would love to join the gym or different societies, etc.

Secondly, as I have a month free, what would you recommend I do with that time. I plan on looking for work but what else could I do to kill time until uni starts?
Original post by Sandman62
I'm going there for my MSc. I'm moving to Bristol in the middle of August (from London) which is about a month before the start of my course. So I'll have a month to get know the city but was wondering when the Uni actually reopens as it would be closed right now due to the end of term? I would love to join the gym or different societies, etc.

Secondly, as I have a month free, what would you recommend I do with that time. I plan on looking for work but what else could I do to kill time until uni starts?

Well the University doesn't actually close in as much as the administrative staff and professional services staff as well as many of the academics will still be working. The gym will be open, and the Students Union etc. Postgrad students doing more than 1 year courses will be around and working etc. Just the bulk of students won't be there and societies etc won't start running until term starts.

So you can turn up at Senate House and see if you can register, get a Uni card etc, and then use the Library and the gym etc - I'm not sure whether you have to go through a matriculation process that can only be done in term time or not.

Otherwise, speak to your department and I'm sure they can put you in touch with a postgrad who is still about. And/or contact the Student Union and see if they've got anything going on.

There's a gazillion things you can do in the city, there's always loads of things going on, whatever you are in to. There's a zoo, a bridge, a harbour, boats of all sorts, shops of all sorts, music scenes, museums, cinema's theatres, Gromits, graffiti, cricket, football (of sorts), countryside, seaside, more shopping.....the list goes on.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending