The Student Room Group

Missing an offer, then meeting it following a re-mark

Hi :hello:

As I understand it, should an applicant miss their offer but a priority remark then results in their grades improving such that they do meet the conditions of the offer after all, the university is not obliged to hold a place open for them and can essentially ignore the result of the remark.

I appreciate that universities have a difficult balancing act when it comes to managing their intake numbers and any uncertainly such as this would further complicate that, but this policy seems to me to be wholly in favour of the university and very unfair on applicants who could potentially miss out on their place despite having met their offer, simply due to an error on the part of an exam board. Do you think that anything can be done to improve this situation for applicants? Perhaps something like obliging universities to offer a place for deferred entry should they not be able to take the applicant in that current cycle.

On a related note regarding the Admissions Guide and Decision Processing manual: Section 12.19, "offers stand or fall on results available at 31 August" contradicts section 12.21, "If an applicant contacts an institution to let them know that they are lodging an appeal against on or more of their examination results, the institution should make it clear what the chance of a place for 2013 entry is likely to be... An institution is not obliged to wait for the result of the appeal". Clearly this could be interpreted either way if someone were to originally miss their offer, but then meet the conditions as a result of a remark before August 31st. Not really a question, but I hope it's something that can be addressed :yep:

Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi. You've hit the nail on the head by recognising that Unis face difficult decisions when balancing their student numbers. The important thing is to get the re-mark underway through your school or college as quickly as possible and let your choices know what you're doing. Communication is critical.

Our guidance to Unis is that there is firm commitment to keep a place open if revised results are available by 31 August. Thereafter we guide them to the good practice of offering a deferred place, though this is a decision that each must make locally.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending