Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help! I suffer from hayfever in the spring/summer, and at the moment it's pretty bad. Im taking Clarityn 1-a-day tablets, and they seem to work until mid-afternoonish, but then I can't take any more because they're 1-a-day tablets.

Does anyone know of any other over-the-counter remedies that are effective in helping to deal with the symptoms all day? What do people find is the best medication?

ReputationRep:
    get Tesco's nasal spray. it works a treat for me. although I also take Zirtek with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevesb52)
    Help! I suffer from hayfever in the spring/summer, and at the moment it's pretty bad. Im taking Clarityn 1-a-day tablets, and they seem to work until mid-afternoonish, but then I can't take any more because they're 1-a-day tablets.

Does anyone know of any other over-the-counter remedies that are effective in helping to deal with the symptoms all day? What do people find is the best medication?
    You could try taking 2 clatityns, they wont make ur head explode.

Querectin is a good natural antihistamine.

ReputationRep:
    I took some lemsip tablets for a few days, I think they contain ibroprufen. That's cleared my sinuses quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    prevention is the best cure.

Continue taking your clarityn or whatever for now, but at the same time make a few lifestyle changes if you want to avoid it for the rest of the summer.

1. Get enough sleep. early to bed, early to rise makes man healthy, wealthy and wise. Cliche but soo true.

2. Cut WAY down on you alcohol consumption

3. Avoid yeast - so any bread that is soft and spongy, marmite etc - dark hard rye breads are good alternatives to the more yeasty wheat breads, but they do need toasting before eating if you want them to be edible.

4. Avoid dairy products - so milk, cheese etc

5. Avoid wheat.

6. Avoid sugar. yes that does include sugar in hot drinks, and in the ingredients of food that you eat. i'm not just talking about the suger you add to your food.

7. drink 2 litres+ of water a day - not diluted with squash!! -now that's full of crap.

You may think its hard to avoid all those things and change your lifestyle like that, but it's all relative. How much do you want to not be affected by hayfever?

ReputationRep:
    The pollen level has been awful recently, I have some 1 a day antihistamines but they're just not working! Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    Benadryl Plus!! I swear by them!

ReputationRep:
    I take Clarityn too - it seems to work the best out of the various hayfever tablets but not 100% effective so I use Beconase nasal spray in addition. I also use eye drops (Opticrom) a couple of times a day.

ReputationRep:
    I second that. Using everything seems to have the best results. Also, you might want to try and obtain some locally-produced honey. A little of that everyday should reduce the symptoms drastically.

ReputationRep:
    its different for everyone i think, i've tried clarityn, benedryl and piruton (sorry about my appalling spelling) but zirtek's the only one that works for me! so i would suggest to try a couple of different ones for a few days and see what works best for you!
    (someone also once told me that you could try putting vaseline up the inside your nose - sounds really gross but apparently its effective in stopping the pollen from getting inside!! havent tried it yet tho!)
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    zirtek all the way
    currently taking neoclarityn but not sure if you can get that over the counter

ReputationRep:

Lloyds own brand non drowsy tablets £7.99 they work all day.

ReputationRep:
    cat faeces

ReputationRep:
    god hayfever for me is sooo bad! especially now with exams its a killer cause my eyes become so itchy and painful its unbearable! I have taken homeopathic pills for my allergies (im also allergic to anything that exists basically!) and its worked wonders! Im on the strongest dose now but things are still bad but at least not AS bad as it was before i took them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andronicus Comnenus)
    I second that. Using everything seems to have the best results. Also, you might want to try and obtain some locally-produced honey. A little of that everyday should reduce the symptoms drastically.
    I've got some bee's honey/wax pills. The only problem is I have to take four a day regularly, and keep forgetting (memory of a goldfish). Methinks I'll try and be more dedicated with these - I might take them alongside the Clarytin even.

Thanks for all the ideas by the way!

ReputationRep:
    I vote we have a hayfever sticky thread because this has come up a lot recently people and people are too lazy to do a search.

lol I recommend Citirosine, then nasonex and opticrom to prevent it getin hold again.

ReputationRep:
    The pollen's very high at the moment so it may just be a case of damage limitation rather than prevention. That said, I've found that taking one-a-day tablets along with my usual nasal spray has helped keep my hayfever under control at the moment. With the high pollen, the best you can do is find out what is available and take whatever can be used in conjunction with your normal medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meathead1987)
    You could try taking 2 clatityns, they wont make ur head explode.

Querectin is a good natural antihistamine.
    According to a drug rep for Galpharm (i think it was), it has been proven safe for adults to take up to 16 loratadine (active ingredient of clarytin) a day.

I find 4 works a treat for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    prevention is the best cure.

Continue taking your clarityn or whatever for now, but at the same time make a few lifestyle changes if you want to avoid it for the rest of the summer.

1. Get enough sleep. early to bed, early to rise makes man healthy, wealthy and wise. Cliche but soo true.

2. Cut WAY down on you alcohol consumption

3. Avoid yeast - so any bread that is soft and spongy, marmite etc - dark hard rye breads are good alternatives to the more yeasty wheat breads, but they do need toasting before eating if you want them to be edible.

4. Avoid dairy products - so milk, cheese etc

5. Avoid wheat.

6. Avoid sugar. yes that does include sugar in hot drinks, and in the ingredients of food that you eat. i'm not just talking about the suger you add to your food.

7. drink 2 litres+ of water a day - not diluted with squash!! -now that's full of crap.

You may think its hard to avoid all those things and change your lifestyle like that, but it's all relative. How much do you want to not be affected by hayfever?
    :eek:

Seriously mate, I'd take hayfever over that any day! How can you possibly live like that?! Especially with the alcohol thing!

ReputationRep:

I just take two if i need to.:dontknow:
    Oh and i'm now a Benevolent member:P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.