The Student Room Group

Mature, Law, Medicine

Hey there guys,

I was wondering if anyone could assist me. Essentially, I have been scraping through life thus far; scraped 5 Cs at GCSEs, got two A-levels (grades Ds in law and history) and scraped through a polytechnic university with a 2:2 degree in Law. I graduated last year and realised that I was not gonna get anywhere with a 2:2 and decided to do the bar course (postgraduate certificate to become a barrister). Luckily I got a better grade in my Bar course and got an overall of 69%. I am a migrant in the Uk and I do suffer from a learning disability although I didn't know this until my postgraduate course.

Admittedly I enjoy the Bar and the law, I am probably not gonna get anywhere in law with my rubbish degree and A-Levels.

Further, my sister is a doctor and she recommended that I should go back to university and get qualification in medicine. I have always had an interest in medicine but never thought I'd get anywhere in medicine because of my grades [scraping 2Cs in sciences in GCSEs] despite moving to the country at the age of 10. Now that I have a Bar Qualification, I was wondering whether I stood a chance of enrolling onto a medicine course? Moreover, will it have to be a 6 years one because I do not have an A-level in chemistry and biology or could I bypass a 6 year one and go for a 5 year one so long as I pass the BMAT? Lastly, if I do stand a chance what university would you guys recommend?

I am sorry for the lengthy message and thank you for any help!
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it will matter much to potential universities that you passed the bar. I think that's great though. I did a quick search and there are several access courses you can take for medicine. But if you're going to invest that much time/money, you should really think about if this is what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime

But if you're going to invest that much time/money, you should really think about if this is what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this. The way you described things the decision sounds a bit whimsical. Will you enjoy studying science for 6 years?
I don't know much about the structure of the legal profession, but in general the further back in time a qualification is the less important it becomes. So your 'rubbish' GCSEs are already largely irrelevant and your A-levels becoming so fast. If you can get the all-important first job (barrister?) and prove yourself competent, then even your 2.2 will become insignificant. My advice would therefore be to continue with law - you admit yourself that you enjoy it!
Reply 4
Just stick to law. Medicine is so hard. Plus I wouldn't want to be studying for another 4+ years.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
I don't know much about the structure of the legal profession, but in general the further back in time a qualification is the less important it becomes. So your 'rubbish' GCSEs are already largely irrelevant and your A-levels becoming so fast. If you can get the all-important first job (barrister?) and prove yourself competent, then even your 2.2 will become insignificant. My advice would therefore be to continue with law - you admit yourself that you enjoy it!

Not for law. To get a training contract or pupillage you will need to show good to excellent GCSE, A level and degree grades.
And getting a pupillage (to become a barrister) is monstrously difficult. With a 2:2 it's near enough impossible. The solicitor route is a lot more forgiving but the barrister route is tough and immensely competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PotterLaw
Not for law. To get a training contract or pupillage you will need to show good to excellent GCSE, A level and degree grades.
And getting a pupillage (to become a barrister) is monstrously difficult. With a 2:2 it's near enough impossible. The solicitor route is a lot more forgiving but the barrister route is tough and immensely competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, hadn't realised that it was that bad!
Reply 7
Medicine is not a short route to follow. My understanding is that most coroners are legal chaps who do some sort of short course in relevant parts of medicine, and a small number are doctors who have gone the other way. Would this be a more readily attainable line to pursue?
Medicine is brutal to get into. Medical applicants, apparently, occupy the top 5% of A-level takers usually and few get into one medical school. Even if the medical schools accepted that you had been slacking they have many better qualified applicants and are unlikely to pick you out of the crowd. Sorry :/
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
OK, hadn't realised that it was that bad!

Yep it's pretty brutal!!! The barrister route is worse because there are less chambers therefore less places but a huge number of students.
Solicitors can afford to be less choosy because there are more law firms and different types such as; high street, in house, large commercial, international etc etc.

Tough process!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep it's pretty brutal!!! The barrister route is worse because there are less chambers therefore less places but a huge number of students.
Solicitors can afford to be less choosy because there are more law firms and different types such as; high street, in house, large commercial, international etc etc.

Tough process!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a guy who lives near me who is taking an unusual route to becoming a barrister. He worked in IT, took law at the OU and is now doing the next stage - whatever that is!
Reply 11

Tough process!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sound advice re not trying to pursue the Bar - I finished the BPTC last year with 83% (after good grades in my GCSEs and A-Levels, and a 2.1(Hons) from a Russell Group uni) and it's a near impossible task to get interviews for pupillage, let alone get an offer!

Also - re the 69% in the BPTC, that equates to a Competent doesn't it? I'm pretty sure Chambers only tend to accept applicants with a Very Competent or Outstanding. As the poster above said - it's brutal :frown: UNLESS you've done something incredible like represented your country at the Olympics, you have really quirky hobby or you've survived a bear attack or something (seriously).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending