The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Krystal
YEH...um so ...i thought that since the sodium hydroxide and HCl both are in solution, they hav formed ions and so there is no 'breaking' of bonds, essentially. as excalibur sed...the ions will still be in solution therefore are spectator ions which have not taken part in the reaction, only water has formed....the others are still ions.
okie thanks. I think I get it about the ions and it makes more sense now.

mass of lead should be 3g also.

and volume would be.
moles = mass/Mr
moles = 3/207

moles = volume/24000
volume = 347.8cm3

i think.

oh and are the half equation

PB2+ +2e- -> Pb
2Br- -> Br2 + 2e-
Reply 101
rightiho
polyethene: cling film and packaging. waste bags and containers. some water pipes made from the thicker version of it.
Polypropene: Effective barrier agaisnt water so used in housewares and for fibre for carpetting and ropes and stuff
Polysytrene: i dont know specifically but packaging utilitiess as well as insulation?
PVC- plastic pipes, vinyl coatings, wire insulation and like...wats it called acylic resins? as a binder for laminated glass.

problems are most are non-biodegradable and some cannot be reecycled due to thermosetting nature. so yeh...u cant burn em because they release toxic gases and burial sites are bad 4 environment.

btw....does anyone know why ammonia is NH3 but the ion is NH4 + ? i cant remember.
It would be great if someone explains the answer to question 19a ii on the 2003 AQA 3421 H paper?

I know the answer but dont have a clue about it...I always though concentration is measured in dm^3 per mole.

Would help everyone here i'm sure: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3421H-W-QP-Jun03.pdf
Reply 103
Erm, instead of moles its grams it looks like. Instead of finding the moles from the grams, you'd find the grams from the moles (previous q 19 ai)
Reply 104
In an experiment, it was found that the ethanoic acid present in a 15.00cm3 sample of vinegar
was neutralised by 45.00cm3 of sodium hydroxide solution, of concentration 0.20 moles per
cubic decimetre (moles per litre).
The equation which represents this reaction is
CH3COOH + NaOH  CH3COONa + H2O
Calculate the concentration of the ethanoic acid in this vinegar:
(i) in moles per cubic decimetre (moles per litre);
Reply 105
Repeat post
(45*0.2)/1000 = 0.009

0.009=(15*Concentration)/1000

9=(15 x concentration) (times each side by 1000)

9/15 = concentration(divide each side by 15)

0.6 = concentration
Reply 107
Do we need to know that for Double Award? *alarmed*
Reply 108
we dont so this in our syllabus....whats the 1000 for again?
^NO! not for aqa anyway

Q: Describe the strucure and bonding in a metal
Krystal
we dont so this in our syllabus....whats the 1000 for again?

Divide by 1000 because its in cm^3, the unit is dm^3(litre^3)...If the question said 25 litres then you dont divide by 1000
Reply 111
Its titration calculations. thats what i was talking about earlier - moles of a solute. (divide by 1000), must only be for OCR :s
^Cheers for your post btw finally figured out why :smile:
Reply 113
Could someone please list all the formulas needed for AQA triple science please?

many thanx in advance
Reply 114
davidjones90
Divide by 1000 because its in cm^3, the unit is dm^3(litre^3)...If the question said 25 litres then you dont divide by 1000

OH ryt...is that it! ...i can be so slow sometimes. :p:
and i get the moles of a solute thing now...hehe...thanx.
err, yes you do need moles and titration for aqa seperate science. it is from aqueous and organic chemistry.
Reply 116
How many of you are really nervous about this test 2moz? I'm really crap at most chemistry stuff, but fluked an A* in my mock O: xD Still i spose it's only my own fault, im watching the brazil match and im on here :wink:
Reply 117
chem is my forte but im worried that i havent revised much. ive been doing french.

how would people interpret this: describe and explain the physical properties of simple molecular substances?

what kind of properties are they looking 4 do u think?
Mg + 4 HNO3 ------> Mg(NO3)2 + 2 H20 + 2 NO2
(btw sorry dont know how to make small numbers after atoms)

Calculate the mass of nitrogen dioxide produced when 96 g of magnesium reacts completely with nitric acid.

(Relative Atomic Masses: N=14, 0=16, Mg=24)
Reply 119
Describe and explain the physical properties of simple molecular substances.

Uhh... they have low mpt/bpt because they have weak intermolecular forces. They also don't conduct electricity because they have no overall charge. I think so.

Q: Describe the strucure and bonding in a metal.

Well, the positive ions (or atoms? I don't know...) are surrounded by a sea of delocalised electrons, which are from the outer shell of the atoms. The electrostatic force of attraction between the positive ions and the electrons keep the metal in a regular structure, while the free electrons can carry charge & heat. It also means that the atoms can slide over each other so metals are malleable.

Can someone explain what a catalyst does? I thought it lowered activation energy but apparently it doesn't...

Latest