Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A forces fields and energy and synoptic paper thursday morning sign in here <---- watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    they said you could only use a 3 metre tape measure , a kitchen mass thingy and summat else apparently but i didnt read that part! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smurfride)
    they said you could only use a 3 metre tape measure , a kitchen mass thingy and summat else apparently but i didnt read that part! lol
    Pants, neither did I! Damn, there goes another few marks

ReputationRep:
    real tuff

ReputationRep:
    Harder than I'd hoped, easier than I feared...

I'll reserve judgement till results day, but suffice to say it was better than MEI C4 on monday

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that wasnt what i was expecting, their was me with my massive mother list of forumlas... needed about 1.. flipping thing.
    What the hell was the lng lnms-2 graph all about ey? That made no sense to me !
    And all that stuff about water changing states.. who here now hates thermodynamics What did you guys write about the changes between 200K and 200,000,000K hydrogen.. i endedup saying more energy at 200,000 + and therefore they have higher velocitys, which means their more spaced out... (had no idea) in response to the guy asking about the "error" i ended up with something horrendously small, but then you would hope it was seeing as its meant to replace the offical kilogram..

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find it ridiculous that you could have done half of that paper with common sense? As its only worth 10% overall, that means your actual physics knowledge for that paper counts for 5% of your overall mark, yet you have to revise EVERYTHING. I also learnt a load of equations and spent hours going over AS stuff when none of it was really necessary.
    Crap paper in my opinion, and easy to trip up on due to the ambiguous and subjective nature of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find it ridiculous that you could have done half of that paper with common sense? As its only worth 10% overall, that means your actual physics knowledge for that paper counts for 5% of your overall mark, yet you have to revise EVERYTHING. I also learnt a load of equations and spent hours going over AS stuff when none of it was really necessary.
    Crap paper in my opinion, and easy to trip up on due to the ambiguous and subjective nature of the questions.
    More than agree, whats the point of all of that AS revision when they ask you about kettles!! Those graphs were messed up, and the final question was just a lot of using the information already provided. Work out the errors etc.. one of the only things i DIDNT revise because i thought that would be in the practical exam!
    Lets be honest that first page was a joke, measure the speed of a car while your on the pavement.. grow up! ... my answer would have been go and talk to the police and steal their radar gun, unfortunately were left with.. kitchen scales, measuring tape and a watch!! i assumed it had a stopclock function which will no doubt loose me marks..
    Ah well time to start stressing over my geography exam.. and then nuclear and particle next week, which you guessed it has a pointless 15mark synpotic question at the end!!! sod revising for that, probably ask us to estimate the speed of an electron when someone farts on it

ReputationRep:
    FFE was quite a disaster personally, had a major brain freeze although I do really well in all the mocks. UC was pretty good in my opinion, found it easy and glad there was no wierd questions.

ReputationRep:
    i think the UC was so pointless, i was hoping for loadsa equilibrium, conservation and energy in general stuff to come up and things like why are sunsets red n stuff....but nooo...that was so wierd.

how many marks d'ya think you've dropped on FFE? i didn't finish and probably dropped like 25-30 marks!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to budget 25 marks lost. The time flew by so quick for FFE but for UC I finished with about 25 minutes to spare!!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smurfride)
    what did eeryone do for the uncertainty in the diameter if the volume was 2 in 10^8 or summat?

If thats the uncertainty of the volume the radius should have a proportially smaller radius (as volume is proportional to radius cubed.) What i couldn't decide is whether you divided the number by three or cubed it...

ReputationRep:
    I cuber it because if you had an error in the radius of 0.1cm (for e.g.) then it would give an error of 0.001cm for volume. Crap, just thinking was the percentage uncertainty for the radius or diameter?

ReputationRep:
    heres hoping we can all pick up on our option module, i stupidly chose Nuclear and Particle!

ReputationRep:
    i know i just realised u shudda cube rooted it i think, but i was rushing and divided by three! doh

i really hope the grade boundaries are low for both, although i doubt they will...I'm never gunna be able to revise the cosmology in less than a week and still get a decent grade either! oh lordy

has anyone got any idea what the grade boundaries have been over the years for these papers-like raw marks?

ReputationRep:
    On the UC mock we did the grade boundaries were quite low - I think I got 30/60 which equated to a B! So there's still hope :rolleyes:

(Crams for health physics)

ReputationRep:
    FFE Jan 2006 you needed 61 raw marks to get 72 UMS so fingers crossed it's not that bad!!.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we figured the boundaries must have been real low cos a girl in my class got 90 and on the day she knew she had got quite a bit wrong.

I thought UC was quite OK. Compared to most the past papers I looked at, which were horrendous. What did people puit for the SI unit of stress and gravitationaly field strenth? Cos whereas with the other ones you could name them like Farads/Webers etc I only put N/m^2, N/Kg for them

FFE was a nightmare I think I have probably screwed it up AGAIN. Ha ha all the Qs they do about radioactivity requires crappy chemistry knowledge and I hate chemistry so I was quite happy when I managed the Q about proving the curie was equal to blah blah whatever number of Bequerels..

ReputationRep:
    yea I've got the papers here, you know the question ' calculate the two distances where the gravitational field strangth is 0.098 n m^-2 with that graph n stuff? did anyone firstly put the g into the formula like g = GM/r^2 and get and answer and then another one which was use the graph to find where it was 9.8 and divide by 100? i really bummed that one up!

the radioactivity was aklright but i totally ran out of time and couldn't finish it!! ive lost at least 25-30 marks there!

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that Farads, webers etc are not SI units? The only SI units are amp, joule, metre, second and kg, so you had to put the unit in terms of those for question 2 right?

Acutally joule is not an SI unit after all, but Kelvin is. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    oh lord i hope not, im put farads etc!!!!! ooopssies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.