The Student Room Group

Get ABB or it's game over!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PythianLegume
I don't see how that's different from what's always been going on. Two years ago, if you got BBB then you didn't have a great chance of getting into a competitive course at a competitive uni.

Furthermore, my point is that there are no fewer, only more, places now available at top universities. If top universities expand, they let more people in, so more people get into top universities. I fail to see how this is a problem. There will always be losers, but this way there are more winners (not that anyone who doesn't go to a top uni is a loser).

But 3 years ago you would have, before they started giving out extra places for students with better grades.

I think what this will lead to is an even greater divide in the perceived quality of universities between those asking for ABB and those below that threshold.

If you get less than ABB you can't get into a top uni, but if you get it you will put yourself through adjustment or clearing in order to better yourself if you aren't already holding an offer. It will mean the top universities expanding while the lower universities lose student numbers and prestige.

You may think this a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint, but it is a significant change nonetheless.
Reply 21
Original post by otrivine
I dont agree with this comment, I saw many students who did not do well in A levels and got like BCC but ended up getting 93% at uni, first class honour!

A level does not determine how well you will do at university.

Just like how GCSEs don't determine how well you do at a-level :tongue: its all a system!
Reply 22
I dont agree with this comment, I saw many students who did not do well in A levels and got like BCC but ended up getting 93% at uni, first class honour!

93% in a university accepting BCC... That's probably equal to a 2:2 in a decent Uni

Really? 'Many'?

What sort of university gives out 93% marks on a regular basis?
Reply 24
Original post by Faye_m
93% in a university accepting BCC... That's probably equal to a 2:2 in a decent Uni

Actually , the university is russel group
Reply 25

Which one if I may ask?

I went to a Russell group Uni and I'm 99% sure that no courses had BCC as requirements! I could be wrong but I can't think of any courses that had requirements that low. And I started in 2007, pre-A* existence!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Faye_m
Which one if I may ask?

Queen Mary, my friend got it this and got 93%
Reply 28
Original post by PotterLaw
I went to a Russell group Uni and I'm 99% sure that no courses had BCC as requirements! I could be wrong but I can't think of any courses that had requirements that low. And I started in 2007, pre-A* existence!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It won't be in the entry requirements but Top uni's would let students in with much lower grades than required to save them having to go through clearing. Now that they are in clearing anyway for the extra funded ABB places this may not be the case any more.

And when did your friend graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is this any different from previous years? The ones with top grades get more choice and access to the more "prestigious" unis, and the ones with not-so-good grades get less choice? Isn't that how it's always worked? :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Original post by PotterLaw
And when did your friend graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He went through clearing last year and got accepted by Queen Mary, and got 93% in his first year

:redface:
Southampton University used to be ABB, with an offer of ABC for my friend who graduated from there last year, after afour year course. They then upped it to AAA, and recently A*AA.

I understand why, the institution is one of the best in the country, competing with Oxbridge for a lot of courses and usually winning when it comes to Electronics and Computer Science.

Thousands of schoolkids don't even get the GCSEs required to do A Levels, thousands of schoolkids don't even get their A2s, thousands of kids don't even know what a school is. Who cares about these stupid statistics, only a small percentage work hard enough to deserve to go, that's the way the world is. Work hard, reap the benefits.
Reply 34

I somehow have a very hard time believing this as their ucas tariff is 340, and BCC is 260. Slight jump there... Unless they had some weird circumstances

EDIT: for some random course I checked
(edited 10 years ago)
Students with better grades having greater choice is hardly surprising, and doesn't seem particularly unfair either. A vast majority of people are able to get ABB+, it just takes varying amounts of work for different people.
Original post by punani
It won't be in the entry requirements but Top uni's would let students in with much lower grades than required to save them having to go through clearing. Now that they are in clearing anyway for the extra funded ABB places this may not be the case any more.

See what you mean. I thought people were talking about advertised requirements. Depends how strict the Uni is as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
He went through clearing last year and got accepted by Queen Mary, and got 93% in his first year

Hang on in a previous post you made it sound like that was his overall degree and he got a first!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
What course can you get into with EEE?

Why do they ask for any qualifications at all if all that's required is EEE?

That's as close as you can get to an Unconditional offer before results are known.

I know people who got an offer of EEE from Oxford. Bsically they aced the entrance exam and interview, so the decision was that they were definitely wanted, regardless of their results. That was a while ago now so not sure if it would still happen these days. However the EEE offer has been around for years.
Reply 39
Original post by ByronicHero
Students with better grades having greater choice is hardly surprising, and doesn't seem particularly unfair either. A vast majority of people are able to get ABB+, it just takes varying amounts of work for different people.

Yes, but should the outcomes of a student gaining ABB and then ABC or BBB be so radically different?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending