University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Psychology at the University of Birmingham

So whats it like?
contact hours?
Teachers?
Work load?
Does anyone have any course work question examples?
whats the first year like for students without a science, maths and psychology background- does it create a good foundation?
Original post by AdoreMoi
So whats it like?
contact hours?
Teachers?
Work load?
Does anyone have any course work question examples?
whats the first year like for students without a science, maths and psychology background- does it create a good foundation?

Hi :smile:

I'm going to be a third year in Psychology at Birmingham! Feel free to ask me any other questions you have too..

First year contact hours probably average about 8-10 hours a week: you have a lecture for each module (5) plus a stats class (1) every week, and then other stuff that changes every week, e.g. study skills lectures, research methods classes, small group tutorials, and workshops associated with 3 of the modules (cognitive, psychobiology and intro to learning)

Tutors and lecturers in general are great. I wasn't a big fan of my first tutor (bit of a pain), but they all switched around in second year and I like my new one. Also my new final project tutor is amazing. In general lecturers are great, but most of them will never remember you!

If you're anything like me, you'll start to really value traits like 'responds to emails within a couple of days', 'is incredibly sarcastic to students who are prats', 'doesnt have a weird accent' (or 'has a brilliant accent'), and 'compares self to mountain goat'.

The work load, to some extent, is what you make it. Lecturers will point out things to read each week, and it's up to you to make sure you do that.

In first semester, coursework starts off pretty light. I think there are a couple of computer-skills tasks in the first few weeks, but the first written coursework isn't due until after halfway through the semester. You'll have an essay (probably psychobiology in first term), two research methods papers and 2 workshop/lab reports, and then a couple of multiple choice (MCQ) exams in December!

Can't say from personal experience exactly - as I did biology, maths and psychology A-levels...but people who didn't don't seem to be at much of a disadvantage. I think I had moments where I was already familiar with concepts in stats and biology, that many people weren't - all it means is that you'll be learning it rather than revising it in first year. But don't worry about not having done something before, because lecturers DO explain things, and if you're still stuck they don't tend to mind if you ask again afterwards (as long as they can tell that you're making an effort to understand) or there'll be other students that you can ask.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Hi :smile:

I'm going to be a third year in Psychology at Birmingham! Feel free to ask me any other questions you have too..

First year contact hours probably average about 8-10 hours a week: you have a lecture for each module (5) plus a stats class (1) every week, and then other stuff that changes every week, e.g. study skills lectures, research methods classes, small group tutorials, and workshops associated with 3 of the modules (cognitive, psychobiology and intro to learning)

Tutors and lecturers in general are great. I wasn't a big fan of my first tutor (bit of a pain), but they all switched around in second year and I like my new one. Also my new final project tutor is amazing. In general lecturers are great, but most of them will never remember you!

If you're anything like me, you'll start to really value traits like 'responds to emails within a couple of days', 'is incredibly sarcastic to students who are prats', 'doesnt have a weird accent' (or 'has a brilliant accent'), and 'compares self to mountain goat'.

The work load, to some extent, is what you make it. Lecturers will point out things to read each week, and it's up to you to make sure you do that.

In first semester, coursework starts off pretty light. I think there are a couple of computer-skills tasks in the first few weeks, but the first written coursework isn't due until after halfway through the semester. You'll have an essay (probably psychobiology in first term), two research methods papers and 2 workshop/lab reports, and then a couple of multiple choice (MCQ) exams in December!

Can't say from personal experience exactly - as I did biology, maths and psychology A-levels...but people who didn't don't seem to be at much of a disadvantage. I think I had moments where I was already familiar with concepts in stats and biology, that many people weren't - all it means is that you'll be learning it rather than revising it in first year. But don't worry about not having done something before, because lecturers DO explain things, and if you're still stuck they don't tend to mind if you ask again afterwards (as long as they can tell that you're making an effort to understand) or there'll be other students that you can ask.

Thank you for responding :biggrin:
THE BOOK list is very long and costly, i checked out a couple of them on amazon and they were like 30 pounds each :O i CANT afford that tbh....I mean do you really need all of them ? are there any copies in the library?
Whats a research method paper? I've heard people talk about it on a few occasions but never really understood, is it possible for you to send me an example?
Hows the feedback like from your tutors? I mean to they advise you on how you can improve?
When your set a piece of coursework how do you know what angle to take on it? are you given guidelines/ a mark scheme?
Original post by AdoreMoi
Thank you for responding :biggrin:
THE BOOK list is very long and costly, i checked out a couple of them on amazon and they were like 30 pounds each :O i CANT afford that tbh....I mean do you really need all of them ? are there any copies in the library?
Whats a research method paper? I've heard people talk about it on a few occasions but never really understood, is it possible for you to send me an example?
Hows the feedback like from your tutors? I mean to they advise you on how you can improve?
When your set a piece of coursework how do you know what angle to take on it? are you given guidelines/ a mark scheme?

It is easy to spend a lot on books - you can get most of them second hand though, either from amazon or from second- and third-years (you'll be swamped with emails and adverts and facebook posts advertising second hand books, especially in the first few weeks!) Definitely get the Cognitive Psychology book, and the Physiology of Behaviour - they're probably the ones that are most useful across several modules in year 1 and 2. There are several copies of everything in the library but most are short loan (i.e. you can only borrow until 11am the next day) and it can be hard to get hold of one in exam season!

For research methods papers, you'll do a short experiment where you'll have to collect data and look for 'real' research on the topic. The report is an introduction, summary of previous research, summary of your experiment's method, results, and discussion of what your findings were. I think the first one is only 800 words, so it's not too bad (at least not compared to the 4000 word one I have this year!)

Examples of marking sheets are given for most assignments, so you can see which areas you'll be graded on, and a description of what you need to do to achieve an A grade for each part. Sometimes it's hard to know what 'angle' to take, you can ask the lecturer for more info sometimes, but sometimes there isn't a 'right' way to tell you, so you have to pick how you think best to do it.

In my first year, feedback wasn't particularly brilliant, but I think they've introduced academic tutors to first years as well now - they don't set the essays (main lecturers do) but they mark essays from their tutor group and give you feedback as written comments (good points and weak points), a grade, and a discussion session either by yourself or with your tutor group (usually 6-7 students).

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending