The Student Room Group

17 @ Freshers

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I will be in the same position next year! My bday is 11th October, so basically I will turn 18 the day before term starts :frown:. Maybe it is possible to go as part of a student group, so the club/pub knows we all are/will turn 18 that year?
How comes you're both starting Uni this year? Surely you would be the year below, school-wise?
Reply 3
Did y'all skip a year? Y'all should just defer a year, nobody wants to feel guilty that you can't go out with them to the clubs.
Original post by FilmNerd1989
How comes you're both starting Uni this year? Surely you would be the year below, school-wise?

I did say next year, which is 2014 :smile:
Original post by makeitorbreakit
I did say next year, which is 2014 :smile:

The other one said they were stating this year ( or I assumed they were, they didn't say they weren't )

Regardless, my point was why you're going to be 17 at Uni, not the year you go.
Reply 6
I don't know if this is the case of the people who started the thread or whatever, but if you're an EU student many countries in Europe base the entrance into school as a child not on age but on year of birth. For example, two of my friends cases' : one was born in January 1995 making her 18 at the moment, the other was born in November 1995 making her 17. In England this would mean that they were in different years but in France since they are both born in 1995 they are in the same year.
So technically, they just head to uni a year earlier than they would have done if they had attended school in the uk due to the difference of systems.

Original post by PC2852
Did y'all skip a year? Y'all should just defer a year, nobody wants to feel guilty that you can't go out with them to the clubs.

That is the most ridiculous reason to defer a year I've ever heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FilmNerd1989
The other one said they were stating this year ( or I assumed they were, they didn't say they weren't )

Regardless, my point was why you're going to be 17 at Uni, not the year you go.

I will be 17 at the moment of arriving, because in my country we normally finish education the year we will be 18, and as my birthday is in October, I won't until I start uni. I thought it was the same way in the UK...
Reply 8
Original post by makeitorbreakit
I will be 17 at the moment of arriving, because in my country we normally finish education the year we will be 18, and as my birthday is in October, I won't until I start uni. I thought it was the same way in the UK...

No in the UK, the age is based on September-August, so those in September are the oldest, so in one year group you'll have people born in two different years. This means that for some people, they will start uni in September of the year they turned 18, but for those born in September onwards, it will be the year they turn 19
Original post by uniquestions

I doubt you would be asked for ID at a bar on campus, its rare over here for somebody to be 18 + at point of entry to university. So you should be able to get away with it if you want a drink (assuming you dont look 12 or something)

Or you could just get one of your newly made friends to order for you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tomtom415
No in the UK, the age is based on September-August, so those in September are the oldest, so in one year group you'll have people born in two different years. This means that for some people, they will start uni in September of the year they turned 18, but for those born in September onwards, it will be the year they turn 19

This exactly - thanks to the people who negged me because I didn't make myself clear enough.
Original post by tomtom415

Although in Scotland, the age cut-off point is at the end of February, and we finish school a year earlier than in England, so if you have a birthday between February and September you will be 18 when you start uni, otherwise you will be 17. My birthday is in January so I will be 17 when I start uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by French_Cat
I don't know if this is the case of the people who started the thread or whatever, but if you're an EU student many countries in Europe base the entrance into school as a child not on age but on year of birth. For example, two of my friends cases' : one was born in January 1995 making her 18 at the moment, the other was born in November 1995 making her 17. In England this would mean that they were in different years but in France since they are both born in 1995 they are in the same year.
So technically, they just head to uni a year earlier than they would have done if they had attended school in the uk due to the difference of systems.

That is the most ridiculous reason to defer a year I've ever heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's quite reasonable tbh, if you want the real uni experience. But you're french so what do you know?
I can only speak for my uni, but at Queen Mary they do not ID at the student bar, or even surrounding pubs and bars, so you should be ok there. However, it is probably a different case for clubbing.
Original post by lokalokaloka
I think it's quite reasonable tbh, if you want the real uni experience. But you're french so what do you know?

Shows how you shouldn't make assumptions due to a person's username, I'm 1/4 Welsh and 3/4 English actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
i ,,,
(edited 8 years ago)
I am someone that likes going out with friends, want to go to clubs but the thing is i will be 17 and scared this will ruin my time at freshers and be left out.

Some people say it will be ok and there is pre-drinking and that. what do you think?
also will i be able to go to the bar on campus- i guess just not allowed to order an alcoholic drink...

We had someone in freshers that was 17. Our Uni bar didn't ask for ID so he was fine there! Pre drinks always happens so don't worry about that. Most of the stuff in freshers (in my experience) is either in the campus bar or at local bars/clubs where are part has been hired out. For this you just needed to show your ticket and student card.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i will be 18 in december.
so i cant get into clubs right? do they check everyones id?

Depends where you are going to Uni. If you're coming to London then yes 90%+ clubs ID. I know it's more flexible in other parts of the UK. I went on tour to Leeds and none of us got ID'd once!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the same position, I'll turn 18 in October and I'm going to attend UCL in September. I suppose in London they're very strict about ID,,,? :frown: I've been told that bars should be fine if you go with others but clubs are very cautious.

However, for my course, the whole 150 strong crowd of Freshers get taken out by senior reps to clubs as part of a two week fresher programme (the advantages of being a Law student). Considering that this is all pre-paid for, and we all arrive together in one massive, rowdy group, do you think I might just be waved in?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'll be 18 in March and I'm starting at Bradford this year. Should my student card be fine for clubs? Or should I be worried?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply