unbalanced subjects? Watch

butterfly_girl_5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
does it strike anyone else that the different subjects are unbalanced? -

25% coursework for languages is 600words whereas in geography 15% project of mine came to 78 pages (diagrams ect)

art is a really hard subject to be good at yet the boundry is 98%

a lot of people find maths really difficult but some of the A/A* questions are hard even for the teachers

for science double award theres a ridiculous amount of content- for RS its 4 pages of telling you what you already knew- 4 modules- so the whole GCSE is easier than 2 science modules (AQA double)

I wish I could have not dones geography because subjects like latin, spanish, RS are so much more straight forward
x---Emz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by butterfly_girl_5)
does it strike anyone else that the different subjects are unbalanced? -

25% coursework for languages is 600words whereas in geography 15% project of mine came to 78 pages (diagrams ect)

art is a really hard subject to be good at yet the boundry is 98%

a lot of people find maths really difficult but some of the A/A* questions are hard even for the teachers

for science double award theres a ridiculous amount of content- for RS its 4 pages of telling you what you already knew- 4 modules- so the whole GCSE is easier than 2 science modules (AQA double)

I wish I could have not dones geography because subjects like latin, spanish, RS are so much more straight forward
Yeah, its rather irratating when you spend weeks on an Art project and get a C for it, but then do a 3 page English essay in 3 nights and get an A for it !
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What's so difficult about Geography? It seems a million times easier than History (which was the only other option at my school)
lizzyd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i know what you mean. all the people who do art in my year spent so long doing their art yet basically none of them will get an A* because the grade boundary is so high.
for geograpy i did about 50 pages, it took me ages and i got so stressed over it but managed to get full marks. then for history i wrote about two pages for one piece and four for the other and got full marks in them too.
science coursework for example can be pretty much done in one night, yet others take you weeks for exactly the same % of your final mark.
Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by R.J.A)
What's so difficult about Geography? It seems a million times easier than History (which was the only other option at my school)
You sure?
Last year in my school 30% of those who took it got A* in History, wheras in Geog 16% for A*
wacuthbert
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the whole point in maths is that it is meant to be very hard. i did my OCR paper 2 today and could only answe 75% of questions.. the important thing is that 75% is an A*...
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ashmufc)
You sure?
Last year in my school 30% of those who took it got A* in History, wheras in Geog 16% for A*
I dunno, having not done History GCSE. Either way - there is no History coursework in our school. They have 3 exams :eek: !
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by R.J.A)
the coursework is epic thats what- and the exams are so boring (but not too hard to revise for) also- I just didnt know exactly what they were looking for

OCR (b) :rolleyes: hope I can do AQA subjects next year!
Thats why I didnt do history- latin is a doss compared to history
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by wacuthbert)
the whole point in maths is that it is meant to be very hard. i did my OCR paper 2 today and could only answe 75% of questions.. the important thing is that 75% is an A*...
yeah- i agree with that
but wouldnt you think that for a subject people need to pass/ get an A in it would be easier to get an A* through hard work?

I noticed that for maths there were only the most clever students (about 45) doing higher- for other subjects is over half- I know that would probably be how it was for other subjects if intermediate papers existed, but its so unfair- me and my friend really want to apply for cambridge and its important to get an A for maths- but if feels like what ever you do, you cant get an A
for other subjects- you can get an A* with enough work
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?