Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    pick some yourself!!!!

ReputationRep:
    we were told that there would almost certainly be a transcript on the unseen, and that if this was the case, it would be most easy to compare with a text that also includes dialogue (Text 1, and during the newspaper article when there are direct quotes perhaps) and use Grice's maxims as the examiners look out for that - my teach is an examiner!

ReputationRep:
    i haven't read through all the replies yet, although i will in order to get the best of our cumulative knowledge & understanding, so forgive me if this is just repetition.

i thought i would just share with you my ideas about theme & links between texts:

here, i am assuming that the main theme is JOURNEYS, with undercurrents of self-discovery.
    as you can see i also found that there were sub-links of hope or religion, which almost all texts adhere to.. i feel that would be useful in creating distinct links between different texts on different levels.

text 1
    includes a daily (though possibly long length of time between act 1 & 2?) journey to a certain place.
    waiting for G to give a purpose to existence (therefore self-disc.)
    perhaps ideas of marxism - is godot a higher 'class' than v & e? could go into the context of play, here, and include reference to other characters.
    HOPE

text 2
    discusses walkabout journey, as a 'mythological' and repeated tradition. a rite of passage? fact, labelled 'myth'?
    RELIGION

text 3
    religious pilgrimage, including rite of passage (addition to name, reputation, etc.) fact.
    RELIGION

text 4
    freedom (& access), discovery of places. journey of demonstrators.
    reminiscent of a history essay! somewhat loose in theme.
    idea of marxism (and therefore link to text 1)
    HOPE (ish)
    also RELIGION through mentioning (atts & vals!) racism/other prejudices based on religion/skin colour

text 5
    about a text about a road: simplistic link. journey is implied, as is discovery.
    very positive lexis.. others more negative in subject matter and ways in dealing with it, perhaps excluding 'factual' texts 2 and 3
    (i believe this text to probably the least useful in analysis.. i can see myself leaving it out, for lack of hope/religion sub-link)

text 6
    strong link to text 7
    the freedom (right) to travel, '(im)migrant' - escaping?
    discovery of new lands, idea of distance, (several different) means of transport, 'pilgrimage' of sorts.
    discovery also of people you can trust and, through suffering, of oneself.
    quite flowery (figurative language, so more literary approach to analysis?)
    HOPE

text 7
    strong link to text 6
    journeys of 'migrant' workers ('pilgrimage' of sorts, again), again the idea of distance and means of transport (and how these two can minimise or maximise each other physically and psychologically - same for text 6), discovery of new lands... etc.
    HOPE

i also have some questions..

1. is grapes of wrath a modernist stream of consciousness novel? it's a bit early, perhaps, though i'm not sure. i was wondering due to it's odd (well, unconventional) narrative voice that seems to continue on one tangent in great detail, though going off in little ones every now and then. if it is, it would make an interesting link to the modernist drama of text 1
    2. how many unseen texts do we get, and how many pre release texts are we told/advised to use in our analysis? i'm unsure on the exact details.
    3. do you think colour coding my underlining would be allowed? i have used a colour-coded framework these last few months and that would surely help me when it came to the exam. there's nothing saying anything against it on the front, but opinions would be great before i get started doing that.

... i think that's all, for now! hope everyone is doing well with their studying.

ReputationRep:
    hello I'm becoming so frustrated with myself! It takes me a while to craft an essay . I have a good idea of what I want to say but I always end up goigng off on a tangent or thinking of new ideas. I shall look at some old synoptic essays and see if they help. My favourite was the state of mind one; it had so much you could talk about. It's a shame this years isn't as easy!

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the questions above:

2.We get two unseen texts and we have to use at least two pre-release texts.

3.I'm sure colour coding is allowed as we were told it was and i no lots of people who are doing it,including myself!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    thanks minx.. i've since spoken to one of my teachers, who has confirmed that colour coding is ok, as long as i dont include a key, so all is good!

ReputationRep:
    how is everyone doing... i think this complicated topic has become simplisitic anyone agree? we all need to share our final ideas mon night.. i'm really sorry about that grid i was going to put up.. my stepdad is going to try and fix my comp.. i promise i will put it on a.s.a.p... it will help people have a logical way of approaching the actual essay plan....

ReputationRep:
    Everyone else seems to be really positive, am i the only one that thinks this is bloody hard? there is such a limited amount to what we can write! Im sure I wont be scribbling for the full 2 n half hours, and also the beginning overveiw and finishing commentrys need some serious disscusion people! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    no i'm still a bit confused with the whole theorist thing. For example; say in Text 4, you could use Lakoff perhaps as he is making his sociolist readers feel good about their current left wing attitudes and values.
    Or maybe use Labovs narrative structure for one? I'm really unsure as I'm just used to applying these to transcripts???
    My essay is doing my head in!!!!!! I know what i want to say, it's just the structure. Any advice would be reaaaaaalllly helpful. Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donna1788)
    no i'm still a bit confused with the whole theorist thing. For example; say in Text 4, you could use Lakoff perhaps as he is making his sociolist readers feel good about their current left wing attitudes and values.
    Or maybe use Labovs narrative structure for one? I'm really unsure as I'm just used to applying these to transcripts???
    My essay is doing my head in!!!!!! I know what i want to say, it's just the structure. Any advice would be reaaaaaalllly helpful. Thankyou!
    if you can't apply a theorist you can't.. it is mainly novels and transcripts and plays that the theorists can be applied to. .so don't confuse yourself!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks well I seem to have attempted a plan. We were never taught how to plan these synoptics
    I have left out text 5 therefore the main theme is the necessity of journeys. I have then subdivided this into necessary due to religious/ ancestral purposes or necessary to overcome some form of oppression.[Thats just in my intro] If an unseen just so happens to be about pleasure i'll have to incorporate text 5 I suppose.
    Ive then rambled on about all sorts of different things in seperate points such as triumph; the authors/playwrights own creative journey. Attempts to recapture journeys in the past i.e they are paying tribute in a way (texts 4 and 6) Obviously i've contrasted the ways in which the authors present these tributes etc and focusing on the atts/values they want to achieve.
    Ive then talked about how, when the destination is uncertain, the journey is more of a struggle (1,6 and 7)
    Well, i don't know but it is slowly coming together.

ReputationRep:
    thanks well I seem to have attempted a plan. We were never taught how to plan these synoptics
    I have left out text 5 therefore the main theme is the necessity of journeys. I have then subdivided this into necessary due to religious/ ancestral purposes or necessary to overcome some form of oppression.[Thats just in my intro] If an unseen just so happens to be about pleasure i'll have to incorporate text 5 I suppose.
    Ive then rambled on about all sorts of different things in seperate points such as triumph; the authors/playwrights own creative journey. Attempts to recapture journeys in the past i.e they are paying tribute in a way (texts 4 and 6) Obviously i've contrasted the ways in which the authors present these tributes etc and focusing on the atts/values they want to achieve.
    Ive then talked about how, when the destination is uncertain, the journey is more of a struggle (1,6 and 7)
    Well, i don't know but it is slowly coming together.
    that is a good point actually.. if you can find a theme and link between all of them bar one .. it doesn't matter about that one or two texts, as you don't have to use them all.. we were never taught how to plan this synoptic either.. apparently there is "no right way" our teacher said!.. but hey! really don't feel prepared for this synoptic unlike the shakespeare one!!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if we could focus on the distinctive linguistic features on each text in terms of practical critisism and systlistics.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, for shakespeares we could revise and redo but in this one, i feel like your pretty much on your own untill that dreaded tuesdya afternoon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCave)
    I know what you mean, for shakespeares we could revise and redo but in this one, i feel like your pretty much on your own untill that dreaded tuesdya afternoon!
    i am just really scared about the structure of how to write it.. i am one of those logical essay writers, but with this you have to constantly compare texts.. i have just got to keep telling myself sharp and straight to the point, points....

ReputationRep:
    yeah i tend to waffle and eventually make a point then bring the same point back up later on in the essay.
    Based on past experience I don't think Shalkespeare will come up as a play is already in it. I think it's more than likely going to be pre 1900 poem and definately a transcript. perhaps talking about the pleasure of a recent journey?
    My confidence is slightly higher though. I like to actually write the essay I would write without the unseen and then incorporate them in when necessary. I just find it allows more planning time for the unseen texts. Just out of interest, what Shakespeare plays did you all study? We did Twelfth Night and I felt a right geek when I got excited because Davina Mcall quoted it in last nights Big Brother oh lord.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i tend to waffle and eventually make a point then bring the same point back up later on in the essay.
    Based on past experience I don't think Shalkespeare will come up as a play is already in it. I think it's more than likely going to be pre 1900 poem and definately a transcript. perhaps talking about the pleasure of a recent journey?
    My confidence is slightly higher though. I like to actually write the essay I would write without the unseen and then incorporate them in when necessary. I just find it allows more planning time for the unseen texts. Just out of interest, what Shakespeare plays did you all study? We did Twelfth Night and I felt a right geek when I got excited because Davina Mcall quoted it in last nights Big Brother oh lord.
    ha we did a midsummer night's dream ...

ReputationRep:
    We did twelfth night, but i missed BB, what was the quote?

Anything on commentaries people?

ReputationRep:
    it was

'Some are born for eviction
    Some achieve eviction and
    Some have eviction thrust upon them'

ReputationRep:
    could someone post/link the exact questions, and the subpoints [like refer to attitudes & values etc] for both the 50mk and commentary questions.

Many thanks. I just want to get a structure into my head before hand

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.