Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got two copies of the pre release; I’m going to annotate it again after what I read here! I didn’t mention all the relevant approaches, just analysed tone, purpose audience, features used and atts and vals.

I’m looking for a different approach for all the texts so I can talk about it in my commentaries also if anyone has a table showing the differences and similarities that would be extremely helpful!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediamogul)
    I got two copies of the pre release; I’m going to annotate it again after what I read here! I didn’t mention all the relevant approaches, just analysed tone, purpose audience, features used and atts and vals.

I’m looking for a different approach for all the texts so I can talk about it in my commentaries also if anyone has a table showing the differences and similarities that would be extremely helpful!!!!
    Ok thats cool, Just wondering if it's to no advantage if you do 2 texts instead of 3 with the 2 unseen texts, What are thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    doing more text will mean less detail the most you should do is 3 text from your pre release.

ReputationRep:
    Oh to some extent then thats a positive thing to do 3 texts. I always have a better feeling after an exam when I have to stop myself from writing rather than trying to force myself into writing jibberish because I don't know a thing.

ReputationRep:
    hey can anybody please help me i want a different approach for each text so I can talk about it in my commentaries also if anyone has a table showing the differences and similarities that would be extremely helpful!!!! pleaseeeee

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, some great approach work going on!

Could anyone give me a way of writing the overveiw before i start (i know you need the unseen but still something fabulous is needed) like what kinda things is everyone else planning?

Mwah

ReputationRep:
    my m8 is coming round at 2 to analyse and to bring that grid ppl! sooo around half two stay tuned.. i don't know whether it will be useful or not.. but hey.. it helps us think of it logically xxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a lot of people are becoming anxious because they're seeing what people are posting here and because they haven't been taught that, they're beginning to worry... PLEASE DON'T WORRY! I'm sure your teacher has taught you all the relevant information - please don't try to learn all the terms people are posting here because it will just confuse you - use what you do know, not what you don't but think is worth a higher mark. It doesn't matter if you don't use all these fancy terms or approaches - you probably are subconsciouncly using them, you just don't know what it's called!!! Throughout my whole A Level course none of our year have been taught all these approaches many are talking about - we simply use linguistic or literary - that is, the actual structure/form of the writing and the meanings/imagery etc. Just those two alone with all their little bits in them can generate and do generate A grades! SO please please please don't panic and try to learn them all, because you will most probably get them wrong!!! Stick to what you know!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelee-jublee)
    I've noticed a lot of people are becoming anxious because they're seeing what people are posting here and because they haven't been taught that, they're beginning to worry... PLEASE DON'T WORRY! I'm sure your teacher has taught you all the relevant information - please don't try to learn all the terms people are posting here because it will just confuse you - use what you do know, not what you don't but think is worth a higher mark. It doesn't matter if you don't use all these fancy terms or approaches - you probably are subconsciouncly using them, you just don't know what it's called!!! Throughout my whole A Level course none of our year have been taught all these approaches many are talking about - we simply use linguistic or literary - that is, the actual structure/form of the writing and the meanings/imagery etc. Just those two alone with all their little bits in them can generate and do generate A grades! SO please please please don't panic and try to learn them all, because you will most probably get them wrong!!! Stick to what you know!!!

yeh you're right. By talking about the attitudes and values of a woman in a particular text for example pride adn prejudice.. you are automatically will be takin the feminist approach perhaps without realising...

right i say we think of a really good intro.. i said this earlier on in the thread and realised it was perhaps too early to do that.. but i say everyone post up what they think is the ideal introduction.. somehting that sums up the theme and the sub-themes... and whether it is postive or negative.. something like that...xx

ReputationRep:
    Wel my essay structure is this.
    Intro; speak of necessity for religious/oppressive reasons;how joureys are necessary for progression this progression either mental physical and may benefit an individual or an entire culture[brief reference]

1. Religious/ ancestral Journey-link to tradtion
    2. Link to appreciating tradition/signifcant historical momenta mirrored in texts x and y; speak of ways writers of x and y; create atts values, x and y .also link with struggle-explain
    3. Journeys of struggle futher devloped in texts a b c, How struggle is communicated and how atts values shown.
    4. bit of how struggle needs hope of triumphing journey. How hope is evident in a b c x and y
    5. Writer's journeys

i only just did it it will be improved but I have used theorists, laguage features, talk in life, form style structure etc and focus on atts/values so hopefully the requirements of the question have been met

Also how long is everyone's questions one and two usually? My question one seems to average around 4 a4 sides

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Ppllllll!!!

Thanks for all da Stuf dats bin posted, its made it much clear defo!!

I got a Q tho, how much hav ppl anotated on da texts????? ive dun abit bt not sure on how much is toooo much ??? lol

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    My teacher gave us a sample intro that went something like this..

The theme of xxxxx is portrayed/presented in various ways throughout all the texts. In some, the theme of xxxxxx is portrayed in a positive light, whilst in others it is negative. etc etc

We were told to NOT quote or make referece to any individual texts in the intro, it is just a brief overview. The nit-picking comes in the bulk of the essay.

ReputationRep:
    When looking at text 2, we can determine the Positive attitude towards the abroriginal ppl...
    Within text 3, i wudnt say much of a positive attitude....i duno wa atts r bein conveyed thru dat....help me!!!
    Within text 4 - pretty straight forward, neg attitude towards the "pampered aristocrats", dislikes capitalism, FOR the working class..
    Within text 5, positive attitude towards travelling, tourism, sight seeing etc.

What atts & vals r being conveyed within text 1 = part frm Beckett valuing life's struggles - thru da way in which E&V Do not commit suicide.

Im only focusin on the first 5, n ive got loadsa links if ne1's intrested lemme know....

Thanksssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Any extra information will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    1st Link - The genre & Purpose - Im going to include the genre in ma second para right after my introduction. I will explain how Text 1 is a play and has evidently been written to entertain. In contrast to text 2 which is a "entry of a-z"... to inform readers. Similarly, text 3 and text 4 – purpose 2 inform etc etc...so one contrast between da genre and purpose, think everyone knows that anyway.

2nd Link
    - Text 1 - Waiting Upon something - they are dependant on Godot/ Text 2 - The Aboriginal ppls R dependant upon nature "sky which determined many aspects of the lives of the Aborigines."

3rd Link - Text 1 - Godot must *** -- hmmmm am nt sure here wat is a must...?? Journey is a Must somehow i duno....sum expand pls?!
    Text 2 - Aborigines must "walkabout" - religious/spiritual journey.
    Texts 3 - Hajj is a must again a religious/spiritual journey - Compulsory.
    Text 4 - No need, but a physical journey in which ppl wanted to ramble.
    Text 5 - Summit for one who is interested in nature, scenery etc - so it wud mainly b read for personal interest - so not compulsory/mandatory.

4th Link - Text 1 - Syntax - short length "Pull on your trousers"
    Text 3 - Long sentences - complexity.
    Text 2- long sent
    Text 4 - complex & compound sent lengths. - keeping reader initiated in contrast to lonnnnggg boring sentences - journalist’s creativity.

5th Link - Modifiers - Text 2 - "great journeys" - pos view
    Text 4 - "Pampered aristocrats" - neg view.

6th Link - Lexis - Text 4 - Justice associated i.e. "Judge" and "Jury" - reflects on the actual prob. Text 3 - Jargon really, all related to Islam/Islamic i.e "Muzdalifah" - would be understood and recognised by Muslims. reflects on the audience which is specific.
    Text 5 - On the beauty of nature i.e. "beautiful landscapes" & "landscapes." COMPARISON BETWEEN TEXT 5 AND 2 - Nature i.e. within text 2 "sun", "planets"

7TH Link
    – which I’l prob b mentioning at the beginning – the differ types of journeys
    Text 1 – personal/spiritual
    Text 2 – Spiritual
    Text 3 – Cultural/ religious
    Text 4 – Physical
    Text 5 – Personal/physical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazygurl)
    1st Link - The genre & Purpose - Im going to include the genre in ma second para right after my introduction. I will explain how Text 1 is a play and has evidently been written to entertain. In contrast to text 2 which is a "entry of a-z"... to inform readers. Similarly, text 3 and text 4 – purpose 2 inform etc etc...so one contrast between da genre and purpose, think everyone knows that anyway.

2nd Link
    - Text 1 - Waiting Upon something - they are dependant on Godot/ Text 2 - The Aboriginal ppls R dependant upon nature "sky which determined many aspects of the lives of the Aborigines."

3rd Link - Text 1 - Godot must *** -- hmmmm am nt sure here wat is a must...?? Journey is a Must somehow i duno....sum expand pls?!
    Text 2 - Aborigines must "walkabout" - religious/spiritual journey.
    Texts 3 - Hajj is a must again a religious/spiritual journey - Compulsory.
    Text 4 - No need, but a physical journey in which ppl wanted to ramble.
    Text 5 - Summit for one who is interested in nature, scenery etc - so it wud mainly b read for personal interest - so not compulsory/mandatory.

4th Link - Text 1 - Syntax - short length "Pull on your trousers"
    Text 3 - Long sentences - complexity.
    Text 2- long sent
    Text 4 - complex & compound sent lengths. - keeping reader initiated in contrast to lonnnnggg boring sentences - journalist’s creativity.

5th Link - Modifiers - Text 2 - "great journeys" - pos view
    Text 4 - "Pampered aristocrats" - neg view.

6th Link - Lexis - Text 4 - Justice associated i.e. "Judge" and "Jury" - reflects on the actual prob. Text 3 - Jargon really, all related to Islam/Islamic i.e "Muzdalifah" - would be understood and recognised by Muslims. reflects on the audience which is specific.
    Text 5 - On the beauty of nature i.e. "beautiful landscapes" & "landscapes." COMPARISON BETWEEN TEXT 5 AND 2 - Nature i.e. within text 2 "sun", "planets"

7TH Link
    – which I’l prob b mentioning at the beginning – the differ types of journeys
    Text 1 – personal/spiritual
    Text 2 – Spiritual
    Text 3 – Cultural/ religious
    Text 4 – Physical
    Text 5 – Personal/physical
    well done that is EXACTLY what i was struggling on the links!! thanku xx

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the links.. Lulu xx:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    no probsss!!

ReputationRep:
    anyone have any general info bout texts 6 and 7? they are so random!!!!! god im not looking forward to this exam.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flojo-mojo)
    anyone have any general info bout texts 6 and 7? they are so random!!!!! god im not looking forward to this exam.............
    think positively .. we'll be fine if you combine everyones input on this thread we should all get A's me ode!!! jst have a good lok back through thr thread if you haven't already.. its all there the info.. just needs to be put together and structured...xx

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.