The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm just starting on texts 6 & 7 now... I've read a bit of Grapes of Wrath before and basically the journey the family make is for wealth - in the West there is more opportunity to earn and be successful. I haven't read the extract though yet :smile:
Can anyone tell me what it's called when a word has a double meaning please? In Grapes of Wrath the California lands are described as 'rich' - this could be inferred as rich, healthy vegetation but also rich because this is where migrants come for work and money. Thanks :smile:
Reply 262
lovelee-jublee
Can anyone tell me what it's called when a word has a double meaning please? In Grapes of Wrath the California lands are described as 'rich' - this could be inferred as rich, healthy vegetation but also rich because this is where migrants come for work and money. Thanks :smile:

ambiguity = when a word has two meanings
lulu7

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 264
Structure for Commentary

1. Describe your methods of analysis e.g I read the texts and annotated them, picking out key elements and features. Identified the genre, audience and purpose etc and say how you made intial comparisons.
( Its ok to state the obvious here!)
2. Refer to frameworks and features e.g lingusutic. literary, stylistics and critical theories.
3. Why did you choose the different frameworks?
4. How useful the methods you used were? Using both advantages and criticisms.
I hope this helps some people, my teacher is fairly reliable and is also an examiner for NTB6 anwsers. Remember our commentary only needs to be around two sides long, so do not start to repeat what you have said in question 1 but why you said what you did and what lead you to believe/ analyse the texts in the ways that you have! Good luck everyone!
Reply 265
ambiguity is when an exact meaning is unclear

dictionary.com
open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance;
Reply 266
seeing that we are all 99% certain that the theme is 'journeys' has anyone done a practice answer for question 2 yet? Im sure that you could practically write question 2 before the exam because it is just a standard response. If so, could it possibly be posted on here??? I am sure it would help everyone.
Reply 267
thanks to everyone for their input into the exam. been really helpful. i was just wondering how people go about structuring their answer as in do they reel of few points on 1st unseen text, then make a comparison to the next unseen text and then with that text move onto the pre-release booklet or do you guide your answer through the use of A&V or just general links of themes.

await a response, thankyou
thanks lulu7 and hana22.... thats gna make my commentary easier!
Reply 269
lulu7

damn lulu ur finnnneee!!

can you put on just a quick brief overview of what structure you use for your answer cs my teacher has told us to doit like this...
intro...1st text...genre,purpose,audience...language,style,structure...A+V (whilst cross-reffering to 2nd,3rd, 4th texts)...with terminology. what would you do.

i keep forgeting that we are actually getting 2 unseen texts aswell whcih will require annotating and anaylsis when ive got loads of points to make for the pre-release xx
Reply 270
Everythin bein written here is all good....but it seems a lot of u r makin the mistake of just makin general comments instead of focusing on how the topic is effected by audience/purpose e.t.c.

For example, becketts use of haliday's hewrisitc model in text 1 (adjacency pairs) allows him to transfer knowledge of the situation more successfully to the audience; therefore forefronting the idea of travelling for salvation.

this is not the greatest example either but you get the point .... the examiners will punish u hard if u dnt refer bk to TOPIC!
Reply 271
how does text 1 REALLY link to journey.. ? pleaseee..... need a DEFINATE answer so then i don't have to keep thinking of endless reasons! ..also

could you interpret text one and the characters representing father and son? estragon dependent on vldimar......

also could it be argued that Estragon.. wants to break free from Vladimar "if we parted it might be better for us" he is wanting to go dif ways to vladimar.. perhaps because he is representation of a child wanting to leave home/society..? just a thought.. prob wrong but what are your thoughts on this....
Reply 272
another thing.. i know this sounds ridiculous but does anyone have the actual bullet points of what we will get in the exam please xxxxxx
bullet points are:
genre and context
form and how it shapes meaning
attitudes and values
Reply 274
dreamqueen
bullet points are:
genre and context
form and how it shapes meaning
attitudes and values

thankyou dear
Reply 275
Firsty. i jus wanna wish every one good luck for the test on tuesday, i was hoping cud some1 please tell me which type of genre each text is(i always seem to struggle wit this part!!) thanks alot.
Reply 276
u havin a giraffe.. it tells u m8... at the start.. in brackets m ode
Reply 277
Hey,

was looking up stuff on the internet and found this forum. its so useful! read quite a bit of what everyone has put - really helpful. just a quick question though...

anyone thought of using the psychological approach? and how what they apply it? i thought about it for text 1 but i don't really know how to apply it. any ideas?

:smile: thanks
Reply 278
doodles
Hey,

was looking up stuff on the internet and found this forum. its so useful! read quite a bit of what everyone has put - really helpful. just a quick question though...

anyone thought of using the psychological approach? and how what they apply it? i thought about it for text 1 but i don't really know how to apply it. any ideas?

:smile: thanks

yeh i think text 1 you can use the psychological approach by saying how boredom can make people turn to suicide? and how the frame of mind of the characters show how they are bored , in general and perhaps with society????
Reply 279
jus in case you haven't read the whole play...http://samuel-beckett.net/Waiting_for_Godot_Part1.html (its very short btw)

Latest

Trending

Trending