Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_ragz)
    jus in case you haven't read the whole play...http://samuel-beckett.net/Waiting_for_Godot_Part1.html (its very short btw)
    yeh i have read it all.. god how random is it!!! hmmmmmmmmm..

ReputationRep:
    I have read alot of comments that have said "waiting for Godot" is a tricky text as it is hard to figure out what the hell its about and its relation to the theme of "Journeys". I done some digging about on google and i got the perfect quote from some guy reviewing the play:

"It's a journey for the audience and the players to find out who gordot is"

This is perfect as it relate the theme, addresses the audience, and the attitudes and values conveyed to the audience.

I hope this helps gets people thinking.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    Im liking that journey to identify who godot is....but i think it could be most successful to be placed wirh a more typical idea. After all it doesn't specify the topic is only represented in a single way.

So the text links to the theme of journeys as explicitly it appeads vlad and est are on a journey to find a physical being godot...but implicitly they and the audience are actually searching for who godot actually is.

Then there could be some deliberation as to godot being a metaphor for hope salvation or any other similar philosophical approach....wat every1 else thnk???????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ??

ReputationRep:
    Godot could simply be the end. The end of everything....as when the end comes suicide won't b neccessary and they will be saved because their boring and mundane life will be over. Godot is a 'he' and although Beckett claims he doens't represnet God the fact he's a he and he will save them could mean the Femenist framework could be used. Just an idea tho!

ReputationRep:
    is there a religious approach?!!!!

ReputationRep:
    One interpretation of the meaning of Godot is that it derives from 'Godillot' which translates as 'the boot,' which would make the title 'waiting for the boot,' but I think your left as confused as you started then aren't you?

I reckon this Beckett guy just wanted to mess with peoples heads and just sat there laughing at all these other guys trying to find a deep, intellectual meaning for years...jammy little...

Anywho I think its just waiting for a meaning, a purpose, something bigger than yourself to show you the reason for your existence. Therefore 'Godot' could be the essence of every 'God' or being in which people spend their lives searching for, the nature of the play just demonstrates how people can search and search, wait and wait but inevitably they will never find anything or anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Well i am now about to go through all of these threads and write all the notes i can in my pre-realease, anyone got anything mega important thay think i should include? Like some fabulous annotation i am likely to have missed?!

ReputationRep:
    Going back to essay structure,mine is something like this, not sure if it will help people,hope so! >>

Brief intro:
    Talk about the common theme of jouneys/travel been evident in each text (state the texts u wish to discuss) Go on to explain how the texts share this theme but the idea of journeys differs from text to text, eg. spiritual/traditional/travelling for pleasure etc. Give egs making refs to texts which share the similar kind of idea,the makes for a nice lead into talking about your first text.

Next few paragraphs
    Talk about each chosen text in turn (genre,purpose,audience,language ,style,structure) linking them through theme or other points. Talk about contexual points and how they affect the meaning.

Next few paragraphs
    - use middle of essay to discuss attitudes and values making explicit comparasons between texts

Not really sure where to go after that, should you include a kind of conclusion to round it off or what!? if anyone can see stuff iv missed then please let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone,

not feeling at all prepared for this exam simply as i havnt done any practice papers!! as we ran out of time. has anyone got any essays they have written.. so i could see how to structure the essay.. its really confusing me how to cover the bullet points, approaches and texts thoroughly. ahhhh!

happy to help anyone else with problems

thanks clare xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x clare x)
    hey everyone,

not feeling at all prepared for this exam simply as i havnt done any practice papers!! as we ran out of time. has anyone got any essays they have written.. so i could see how to structure the essay.. its really confusing me how to cover the bullet points, approaches and texts thoroughly. ahhhh!

happy to help anyone else with problems

thanks clare xx
    put that grid on clare.. would ya for every1.. i have promised em it xxx

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone quickly explain the second bullet point, know its probably obvious. the form and how it shapes meaning one (form???) thanks guys xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkbaby)
    Please could someone quickly explain the second bullet point, know its probably obvious. the form and how it shapes meaning one (form???) thanks guys xx
    how it influences the way an audience would percieve it.. thats what i think it is.. it is constructed a particular specific way to reach its desired specific readership/audience.. feel free to scream against that lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey, there was a fabulous thing posted about half hour ago, goign through each text, was done by two people (who didnt do text 5 &6 coz they were eating pizza and watching football) but when i refreshed it it has gone! It was really indepth! only had text 7 left to check by notes off of!

Please, repost it if you have to! :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    form, just the way the writer uses different literary and/or linguistic techniques to create meaning within the text.
    for example; the author uses interrogatives here (quote) to reveal to the audience that... and so on

about text 1, make sure to highlight the irony of the upper class well educated target audience, in contrast to the apparent status of the characters and focus. i feel that beckett was focusing on existance and the way huanity spend there life searching for a source of hope, believing that is the stronger path, when in fact the most secure existance would be to choose(does choice exist? how about decide) to end the ongoing struggle. in other words the sucicide is the wise choice, in that to accept the finality of life will bring the peace that the journey promises(perhaps falsely?) this is shown in the extract with the suicide suggestion being overthrown by the need to find godot, which never happens!. theres some A & V for you

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys. Just wondering what peoples interpretations of text 6 are? I'm only really worried about this one (text 5 as well but less so) I think I will avoid using this in the exam but just in case, I wouldn't mind hearing peoples ideas about it all. Thanks for all the helpful posts too

ReputationRep:
    im just looking at text 3 at the minute.. obviously the encylopedia it displayng the 'hajj' and Muslim religion in a positive light in respect to the importance they place on it and how it is for personal gain. But struggling to find anymore attitudes and values? anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    how about the whole he/ she female rights issue, women cannot go alone yet men can, women seen as weaker

ReputationRep:
    hey yeh i cant really find any atts and vals in text 3... i need some help with text 7 it completly confuses me and its 2 boring 2 read properly!!

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid i must argue with the whole feminist approach of text 3 (Hajj) as a lot of the mentions in the extract are 'him or her' with only a few isolations of 'he'. I think this echos how sexist the religion is, not this extract.

I am very scared about this exam!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Just lookin thru and found this site.

I have a few ideas on text 1 and thought they might be useful.
    First off all, in relation to the topic of journey, i found that V and E are on a journey to find Godot. They are two tramps who are waiting, or possbily walking the same path in order to find Godot, (eg. Well? Shall we go? ... Yes let's go.... FOLLOWED by They do not move.) There is a suggestion that they have been on waiting for a long period of time for Godot and have been on this journey for some time.
    Therefore, they are on a journey to find Godot as they, supposedly believe that Godot will come. However, when the idea of suicide comes in, we feel that, possibly, the best way to "freedom" (a theme in many other texts, text 4, 6 and 7... the freedom bit...not the suicide) is to end their lives.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.