Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoozy_student8)
    im going to compare the different types of journey presented in each text eg. text 2 and 3 are spiritual, text 4 and 6 are freedom and text 1 and 7 are hope/ will lead to better life.
    text 1 and 7 are journeys to freedom.(godot and the road)

my view of religion is that people follow such beliefs purely for the promised freedom at the end, (you know heaven and all that jazz). such religions state that if you adhere to certain rules and show your faith you will be given peace at the end, (quite selfish really). in this view, text 2 and 3 are also based on freedom

it seems this exam will distinguish between the existensialist nihilists, and the optimistic faithful...

ReputationRep:
    what is a nihilist? i would make that point for Beckett as he is an absurdist, but the others i wouldn't. not that its not a bad idea, just i wouldn't compare them id say how theyd differ slightly

ReputationRep:
    Critical approaches

Have been looking at what approaches i might use on each text. this is what i have got so far...

Text 1 - psychological (deeper meaning to the play) and possibly maxist. If they are tramps, is Godot a higher class?

text 2 - Culture Studies - (completely different culture) and possibly historical?

Text 3 - Culture Studies. Same as above. Strong links with text 2!

Text 4 - Had to be the Maxist approach. strong contrast between upper and lower class. also historical!

Text 5 - haven't a clue! any ideas?

Text 6 - Cultural - no one culture is better. he is trying to understand what the slaves went through in a different culture and time period - Hostorical!!! possibly Maxism ???

Text 7 - Culture and historical. this text is the oldest of all the texts so definately get historical in there somewhere

anyone else have any other ideas?!?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe of interest...

In text one i found out that Estragon's nickname is Gogo and Vladimir's nickname is Didi. makes more sence now

ReputationRep:
    I think its ironic that journeys and travel are generally associated with freedom, but really, there is no freedom. These people are bound to their journeys, they have no choice, this is a lack of freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoozy_student8)
    I am doing snab tomorrow too. ahhh i need to revise everything cause i dont know anything. I am just going to learn key words, sorry for going off topic everyone else. Anyone know a proper word for triples yet? or is there not one :/
    pattern of 3? lol dnt know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Kimbles*)
    its Vladimir, Estragon is also known as Gogo...not quite sure why ????
    maybe reflecting his character as 'stupid'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livin_on_a_prayer)
    I think its ironic that journeys and travel are generally associated with freedom, but really, there is no freedom. These people are bound to their journeys, they have no choice, this is a lack of freedom.

Yeah, have to agree with you there. some journeys are more rewarding than others. text 6 and 7 is a struggle and fight to survive. 2 and 3 is about finding a spiritual goal and text 4 is about taking a journey to enjoy the scenery...

Weird! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    maybe reflecting his character as 'stupid'?

may just be a shortened nickname. shows they know each other well if they have nicknames for each other

ReputationRep:
    is it a bad idea to use all the extracts btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJAW)
    is it a bad idea to use all the extracts btw?

Yes, because you would never possible include everything! If you stick to two or three you will be able to write in depth... don't forget you will be getting 2 unseens as well you need to annotate and write about!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accordion boy)
    text 1 and 7 are journeys to freedom.(godot and the road)

my view of religion is that people follow such beliefs purely for the promised freedom at the end, (you know heaven and all that jazz). such religions state that if you adhere to certain rules and show your faith you will be given peace at the end, (quite selfish really). in this view, text 2 and 3 are also based on freedom

it seems this exam will distinguish between the existensialist nihilists, and the optimistic faithful...
    Also text 6 - the slaves made their journey to escape for freedom.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think about this sentance, regarding text 4;
    Although the author makes no direct point he uses his biased observations to lead the readers to certain, pre-orchestrated conclusions, which support his view.

As I find he does not actually state anything but due to his biased observations I am lead to make a number of conclusions [according to him]

Also, this piece was published 3 months after the 1999 'right to roam' act went through parliament.
    I'm pretty sure it would have something to do with it, but how should I bring it into play during the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Firstly I must thank you all as your comments have been so so helpful.

Also, I just have a question about the commentary..... can we talk about a few different view points that we've used? My teacher gave us a mock question that he did and all he focused on was a relgious aspect. Is it ok, for example to say 'I used a marxist approach for texts * and * but a feminist approach for * and *' And elaborate of course, or should I try and find one approach that runs through out all texts that I use??

Many thanks,
    Em

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how much do we have to focus on language conventions in question 1? Or is that dependant on which approach you choose? Is it a case of just finding language relevant to attitudes and values etc? Or should we be pointing out that theres "repetition used in text (x)" (for a bad example) even if it doesn't have a great affect on the overall message of the text ?
    Sorry for all the questions but my teacher hasn't really pointed this out to us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamcatcher88)
    Exactly how much do we have to focus on language conventions in question 1? Or is that dependant on which approach you choose? Is it a case of just finding language relevant to attitudes and values etc? Or should we be pointing out that theres "repetition used in text (x)" (for a bad example) even if it doesn't have a great affect on the overall message of the text ?
    Sorry for all the questions but my teacher hasn't really pointed this out to us!
    Only focus on relevant language and say either what effect it has or how it indicates attitudes and values (or both), e.g. "the use of repetition in text 1 (give example) is significant as it reinforces the mundane nature of human existence. This is arguably significant in indicating Beckett's existentialist attitudes that we must create our own meaning, but also suggests the circular nature of the journey in this text, as opposed to in other texts where the journey has an ultimate purpose or destination"
    Don't just point out language features without explanation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emzi45)
    Hi guys,

Firstly I must thank you all as your comments have been so so helpful.

Also, I just have a question about the commentary..... can we talk about a few different view points that we've used? My teacher gave us a mock question that he did and all he focused on was a relgious aspect. Is it ok, for example to say 'I used a marxist approach for texts * and * but a feminist approach for * and *' And elaborate of course, or should I try and find one approach that runs through out all texts that I use??

Many thanks,
    Em
    Definitely talk about different approaches you used, and say how effective they were, but you will be likely to use the same approach for more than one text so consider whether it was more or les useful

ReputationRep:
    Thanks dreamqueen, makes sense really but thought i'd double check

ReputationRep:
    who feels this thread is getting real complicated.. everyone is putting their ideas up etc.. which is wicked... but can i make a suggestion.. you think we need another thread.. with people's DEFINATE points that they are going to actually apply and write down tomorrow... and keep this thread as the discussion going? would be good to have a new thread with no queries just key points about each text, STRICTLY ANNOTATIONS ?

i won't start this new thread if people think it is unnecessary.. just wondered thats all....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    who feels this thread is getting real complicated.. everyone is putting their ideas up etc.. which is wicked... but can i make a suggestion.. you think we need another thread.. with people's DEFINATE points that they are going to actually apply and write down tomorrow... and keep this thread as the discussion going? would be good to have a new thread with no queries just key points about each text, STRICTLY ANNOTATIONS ?

i won't start this new thread if people think it is unnecessary.. just wondered thats all....
    dainty duck made one with a long opening post. you could add to that.

Earlier on I posted some word documents in which I collected together all the relevant stuff for people to print off/view quicker, without having to sift through off-topic posts. one for content, one for structure and one for Q2. just click the links and download, I've found it SO useful having all the sheets stuck up on my cupboard so I can quickly reference stuff for annotation/deciding how to do the exam.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.