Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaintyDuck!)
    Text one: Monosyllabism = mundane/boring life...Beckett's attitude towards life? Yada.

Text two: Many modifiers such as "Great" and "Well - define" show how the author values the Aborigine culture

Text three: In detail with modifiers like "white seamless" shows respect for religion and journey because in depth etc

Text four: "These rich men", and "pampered aristocrats" = bad attitudes towards rich people.

Text five: Use of present participles such as "exploring, probinng" & "beautiful", much hyperbole such as "fully explored: the A272"; the use of colons here emphasizes love for A272 etc = positive attitudes towards journey etc.

Text six: repetition of "He's" puts emphasis on participant and relates it back to slaves who experienced this journey = positive attitude towards journey etc

Text seven: repetition of "Listen" = Steinbeck values any means of transport which allows the people to travel to somewhere in which they can gain more employment thus showing his attitudes and values...

Also the use of road names reinforces the idea that Steinbeck wants to take us on a journey of our own....?

Hope this helps!
    Bit basic; perhaps refer to my other thread which may prove useful in helping you with your attitudes and values.

GK aka DaintyDuck!
    I was just wondering Dainty Duck if you could do that approach, but just for the last 2 texts (6+7) by adding a more analysis on them, that would help me a great deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Peoples Club)
    I was just wondering Dainty Duck if you could do that approach, but just for the last 2 texts (6+7) by adding a more analysis on them, that would help me a great deal
    I'll attempt to, mainly because I am doing text 7 tomorrow myself; but do you mean for attitudes and values or, just analysing the language itself?

I'll just analyse as much as possible:

Alliteration in text 6:
    "Through a dark midnight drizzle" = storylike/ short/minor sentence creates drama which in turn reveals positive attitudes towards Cohen's journey as the author wants to create drama and thus attract readers to read about Cohen's plight and thus the slaves' plight too.

Use of simile "Like a slave escaped from a ...." and the use of hyphens such as " - only 150 years later -" emphasizes the positivity of the journey as referring back to slaves etc and years emphasizes how great it is that Cohen is stepping back in time..

Use of colons in "slave's most standard means: his feet" reinforces method used and puts emphasis/diverts attention to the methods used by slaves/reinforces how painful journey was perhaps? As modifier = "standard"?

Repetition of "He's" = adds drama perhaps and evokes sense of sympathy/empathy for Cohen and in turn the slaves. Focus on Cohen = authors positive attitude towards journey.

Similarly rep. of pronouns such as "You" and "You just", "you go" and "out of your mind" = allows reader to empathize perhaps/feel the journey he is doing and thus symbolises what the slaves endured = positive attitude again.

Short sentences create drama, don't forget purpose is generally to inform/entertain here so "They had no choice" and "They wouldn't have quit". Also collective noun; "They" = positive attitude towards slavery as author mentions them yet again and links Cohen's journey/intertwines in with theirs!

Much description/modifiers such as "snarling" and "devil him" = create drama yet again - perhaps shows how Cohen is going through much "toil" and similarly author trying to recreate the terrible plights of the slaves.

---------------------
    Get back to you with Text 7. I'm no expert with text 6 as not doing it!

ReputationRep:
    I'll attempt to, mainly because I am doing text 7 tomorrow myself; but do you mean for attitudes and values or, just analysing the language itself?

I'll just analyse as much as possible:

Alliteration in text 6:
    "Through a dark midnight drizzle" = storylike/ short/minor sentence creates drama which in turn reveals positive attitudes towards Cohen's journey as the author wants to create drama and thus attract readers to read about Cohen's plight and thus the slaves' plight too.

Use of simile "Like a slave escaped from a ...." and the use of hyphens such as " - only 150 years later -" emphasizes the positivity of the journey as referring back to slaves etc and years emphasizes how great it is that Cohen is stepping back in time..

Use of colons in "slave's most standard means: his feet" reinforces method used and puts emphasis/diverts attention to the methods used by slaves/reinforces how painful journey was perhaps? As modifier = "standard"?

Repetition of "He's" = adds drama perhaps and evokes sense of sympathy/empathy for Cohen and in turn the slaves. Focus on Cohen = authors positive attitude towards journey.

Similarly rep. of pronouns such as "You" and "You just", "you go" and "out of your mind" = allows reader to empathize perhaps/feel the journey he is doing and thus symbolises what the slaves endured = positive attitude again.

Short sentences create drama, don't forget purpose is generally to inform/entertain here so "They had no choice" and "They wouldn't have quit". Also collective noun; "They" = positive attitude towards slavery as author mentions them yet again and links Cohen's journey/intertwines in with theirs!

Much description/modifiers such as "snarling" and "devil him" = create drama yet again - perhaps shows how Cohen is going through much "toil" and similarly author trying to recreate the terrible plights of the slaves.

---------------------
    Get back to you with Text 7. I'm no expert with text 6 as not doing it!
    i'm not doing text 6 either so what texts are you for definate doing then hun?xx

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on critical approaches for the texts? My thoughts are:

1 - Psychoanalysis
    2 - Formalism
    3 - Post-Modernism
    4 - Marxism
    5 - Formalism
    6 - Functionalism
    7 - New Historicism/Marxism

Ones in bold are the ones I plan to write about tomorrow.
    As there are a LOT of non fiction texts in there I would think at least one of the ones we get tomorrow will be fiction but I don't know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    wWould anyone be able to put up the pre release booklet up coz iv annotated my spare copy and want a trial run for colour coding etc.....
    Also what are people taking to mean "brief annotations"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    i'm not doing text 6 either so what texts are you for definate doing then hun?xx
    Hehe, for definite I am doing text 1 and 7. Text one because it is good for context and also, it has quite a lot of techniques in, such as monosyllabism/interrogatives (mundane questions) and because it is a different genre I could compare it quite substantially with text 7 which I will pick.

Text 7 seems to cover a lot of the sub themes, one reason why text 1 looks tricky. What sub themes are in it, apart from the purpose of journey?
    If somebody could help me with that, I'd definitely do text one. Otherwise, text 4 and 7 for me! Text 4 has lots and lots of techniques and sub themes!

What about yooo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decent_Jam)
    Any ideas on critical approaches for the texts? My thoughts are:

1 - Psychoanalysis
    2 - Formalism
    3 - Post-Modernism
    4 - Marxism
    5 - Formalism
    6 - Functionalism
    7 - New Historicism/Marxism

Ones in bold are the ones I plan to write about tomorrow.
    As there are a LOT of non fiction texts in there I would think at least one of the ones we get tomorrow will be fiction but I don't know for sure.
    Hi, if possible could you elaborate on reasons for those choices? I am not so up on my approaches!

Many thanks;
    GK

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i found this site yesterday and have read all of this thread it has really helped me!! thankyou to every one who has put ideas and stuff on espesh ppl like dainty duck, lulu and dream queen. dainty duck yesterday i found a post by you where u had done a breif analysis of txts 1,2,3,4,5 and half of 6 i think it was around page 7. was just wondering if u had gotten round to doing the rest of 6 or 7 yet and now i can't even find the origional post if you, or anyone who knows could find it i would :suith: you forever thankyou!!!!
    i think it's so cool that eveyone is sharing their ideas n helpin each other out!!:tsr2:
    love peach xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, for definite I am doing text 1 and 7. Text one because it is good for context and also, it has quite a lot of techniques in, such as monosyllabism/interrogatives (mundane questions) and because it is a different genre I could compare it quite substantially with text 7 which I will pick.

Text 7 seems to cover a lot of the sub themes, one reason why text 1 looks tricky. What sub themes are in it, apart from the purpose of journey?
    If somebody could help me with that, I'd definitely do text one. Otherwise, text 4 and 7 for me! Text 4 has lots and lots of techniques and sub themes!

What about yooo?
    i am doing text 1 4 and 7.. then ignore the rest now.. because i can use these three to compare with the transcript and poem we get in the exam xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody,
    Cheers loads for all the help, I'm so glad that nationally we agree the theme to be journeys.

Lulu, I love you forever.
    ... Maybe after the exams yeh? :suith:

uni - gapyear stalking lulu
    grades - L U L U

only joking well unless you want to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~princess peach~)
    hey guys i found this site yesterday and have read all of this thread it has really helped me!! thankyou to every one who has put ideas and stuff on espesh ppl like dainty duck, lulu and dream queen. dainty duck yesterday i found a post by you where u had done a breif analysis of txts 1,2,3,4,5 and half of 6 i think it was around page 7. was just wondering if u had gotten round to doing the rest of 6 or 7 yet and now i can't even find the origional post if you, or anyone who knows could find it i would :suith: you forever thankyou!!!!
    i think it's so cool that eveyone is sharing their ideas n helpin each other out!!:tsr2:
    love peach xxx
    HiHi! Created a thread here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...98#post5041498
    It now has my analysis (language) of text 6 and other peoples of text 7. I will add mine to text 7 asap!

ReputationRep:
    Lucie English is gay :] our teachers are too obsessed with monkeys to teach us!! ha! dreading this one!

ReputationRep:
    pyschoanalytic didnt think of that one... how i hate freud at least he is easy to write about. What about the religious/spirtual imagery throughout the some of the texts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    i am doing text 1 4 and 7.. then ignore the rest now.. because i can use these three to compare with the transcript and poem we get in the exam xx

I was thinking, is it ok to analyse 3? My teacher advised to do 3, but I am *gagging* (hehe) to get my claws into text 1, but am quite restricted by it for my whole synopsis essay. Otherwise, cool choices!

Must say, Lulu you're really pretty!
    But, let's not clog up with Lulu lovers thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accordion boy)

sorry for my last post, i was a bit groggy, ive just reread it and it doesnt sound too nice. i didnt mean to be derogatory, and for that i sincerely apologise

again sorry, im just stressed like everyone else some people cope better than others
    FORGIVE ME PLEASE
    Don't worry about it! I know about stress very well lol
    Thanks though Toni Marie and Dainty Duck!

ReputationRep:
    HiHi! Created a thread here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...98#post5041498
    It now has my analysis (language) of text 6 and other peoples of text 7. I will add mine to text 7 asap!
    thanx DaintyDuck!! hope all goes well for everyone 2moro

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about anyone else but have a good feeling that tomorrow unseen texts are going to contain a poem. possibly something from shakespeare... but which play contains travel?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone find out when the new encyclopaedia britannica (text 3 ) was republished? i cant find any dates x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if possible could you elaborate on reasons for those choices? I am not so up on my approaches!

Many thanks;
    GK
    Ohhh alright then, but people who do know the approaches have to criticise my choices so I feel special when I've chosen good'uns lol

1 - Pyschoanalysis - words symbols which we use to catagorise the world around us, words allow expression and repression of innermostly desires and ideas (mostly sexual), focus either on the writer's realisation in the text or the reader (or writer's) relation to the text, unconscious and conscious sides displayed in literature (former without knowledge), dreams are gateways to the unconscious (i.e. what we REALLY want).
    2 - Formalism - Text based analysis, disregard background entirely, do not take into account conceptions or presumptions, just three main things, 1) sound structure, 2) choice of words, 3) combination of words, use of defamiliarisation to challenge conception and foregrounding.
    3 - Post-modernism - expansion on texts meaning, focus on fragmentation in plot/idea, emphasis on relation to global communication (music, tv etc), texts considered incomplete until they have been expressed over more open media, potentially limitless potential of texts.
    4 - Marxism - 'Matter over mind', perceptions of a text product of historical forces, focus on social classes and equality, ideological structure of situation based on attitudes and values and determined by material infrastructure, consciousness of a class in history derives from modes of material production (e.g. gender & race split by possesions and wealth).
    5 - SEE 2
    6 - Functionalism - Basically how you would naturally analyse things, bit of background, bit of foreground, basically the middle ground of New hist and Form.
    7 - New Historicism - deals with comtemporary social, economic and political issues of the time, historical context suggest reasoning for language implimentation, not only background of where and when the text is set (particularly in fiction) but also that of the author, emphasises the authors displayed attitudes and values (especially when contrary to our own), literature a vessel for the avoidance or discussion of cultural problems.

Hope this helps/'makes sense, feel free to queery if not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkbaby)
    Can anyone find out when the new encyclopaedia britannica (text 3 ) was republished? i cant find any dates x
    Says 1994 in the pre-release, but on the back says reprinted with permission copyright 2005, so i guess that's when it was published last.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.