Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if one of the unseen texts is a very old text what are the conventional features to look for?:

archaic language

^ thats all i have on my list ^ xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazygurl)
    is anyone here jus focusing on the first five, not all the first fine i mean lyk i.e 1,3,5??? cuz everyone seems to b goin for 6 & 7???? is anyone ignorin them at all???!!!!

thanks
    I'm trying to ignore Text 7 because I have found it one of the most difficult ones to analyse, and I don't want to use Text 5 either OR the encyclopeadia reference! But I've done some annotation and notes on all of them just to be on the safe side.

What would anyone say about the conventions of genre for each of the texts? (It's one of the bullet points that has to be addressed in the actual exam question) i.e. if they conform to the type of genre they are presenting e.g. Magazine article, Play, Textbook definitions.
    I don't really feel confident discussing genre and the features expected from each of the texts relating to this, do they deviate/flout the conventions or apply them quite rigidly/as would be expected? if anyone has any suggestions or input I would appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitten_heels)
    Deconstruction

Identifying binary opposites. How we can organise our language.

Political approach

Can you give any examples of any binary opposites... im confused!!??
    OK for example in Romeo & Juliet love each other while their family's hate each other right, so in crazy formula Boy +Love Girl, but the family is opposite: Montague -Love Capulets and the outcome of this is death. The binary opposite to this would be the two families liking each other and willing the boy and girl to marry when they hate each other, so they commit suicide to escape it, that would be a plot inversion for a structuralist.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone determined a clear explanation in regards to the attitudes and values of Text 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    i sure do agree with that about society.. my idea was that.. they were wanting to break free from the controlling,bounding dominating sociey , therefore Beckett's negative society towards societies cultural values..?

yeh i put the theorists somewhere in this longgggg thread.. you want me to have a look for you and copy and paste? xx

Yeah, my mate at university does Theatre Studies and she says Godot is actually a representation of society and life oppurtunities. I'll still go with the religious approach if the theme is pilgrimages/religion, but it is supposed to be a critique of society and its values and ideology.

And that's OK, I have a few (might of been yours actually!) so no need to worry! Thanks for offering though

Oooo yeah. The binary oppositions of text 1 and 4 fit in well too - Text 4 with the bourgeoisie and proliteriate, and text 4 with good old Vlad and Estragon - stupidity and intellect. I'm sorry, a man who doesn't realise his trousers are down and lacks the intellect the realise not everyone carries around a spare piece of rope should be hunted down with a tranquilsergun and a net

There was a suggestion Vlad and Estragon represent Everyman and his conscience. Like the intellect and irrationality in man. Agree?! There was also a theory of Vlad and Estragon being married! I pretty much just ignored that one though!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    if one of the unseen texts is a very old text what are the conventional features to look for?:

archaic language

^ thats all i have on my list ^ xx

obsolete, archaic language, sentence structures,
    archaic attitudes and values (church)
    uprising of the merchant classes (chaucer)
    the manipulation for monetary profit of thomas of becketts tomb (chaucer)
    if the pilgrims are on pilgrimage for the right reasons(chaucer)
    if the audience should folow their examples (chaucer)

i did chaucer for my coursework so i'm an expert...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz*C)
    I'm trying to ignore Text 7 because I have found it one of the most difficult ones to analyse, and I don't want to use Text 5 either OR the encyclopeadia reference! But I've done some annotation and notes on all of them just to be on the safe side.

What would anyone say about the conventions of genre for each of the texts? (It's one of the bullet points that has to be addressed in the actual exam question) i.e. if they conform to the type of genre they are presenting e.g. Magazine article, Play, Textbook definitions.
    I don't really feel confident discussing genre and the features expected from each of the texts relating to this, do they deviate/flout the conventions or apply them quite rigidly/as would be expected? if anyone has any suggestions or input I would appreciate it!
    that is where i come in.. i do media.. and can tell ya the conventions ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz*C)

I think they've been applied quite rigidly, evidently, within text 4, the Journalist uses a variety of complex as well as compound sentances - Syntax. This keeps the reader initiated rather then boring them wiv long ass sentences all the way through, and when he does use shorter sentences for example "Some were unemployed" it places significance/emphasis on what has been said aswell as symphasising with the unemployed.

In addition, the use of persuasion and bias is used by nearly every journalist, weve always been taught that hey....Within Text 3, it is fulllll of Islamic jargon, related to muslim, extremely factual because Enclycopaedia's are not written to persuade, just to inform.

ye...youve got me thinking now too :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bladermarzden)
    just making a nice intro.... then im doing an overview for each piece im writing about.... then im structuring my answer under the headings...genre, context, purpose and attitudes and values......
    then ive written my question 2....
    Ta very much. I think I will make some connections with the themes they ask you about in the question for the introduction, and then go through all the relevant headers (genre, context, attitudes & values, linguistic devices etc...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bladermarzden)
    uprising of the merchant classes (chaucer)
    the manipulation for monetary profit of thomas of becketts tomb (chaucer)
    if the pilgrims are on pilgrimage for the right reasons(chaucer)
    if the audience should folow their examples (chaucer)

i did chaucer for my coursework so i'm an expert...
    please could you elaborate on this...

ReputationRep:
    can someone write me a paragraph on how they would explain binary oppositions within Text 1 And Text4 plssssssssss

ReputationRep:
    I hope its chaucer....

ReputationRep:
    the sub themes i have come up with are significant journey/ travel; Motivation/passion to do certain things!; fearfullness/escape; being part of a group?! (minority, unjutly treated); rituals and rules (law)
    hope it helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzy_t)
    Haha thats OK! Glad I could help hun! If I knew Tannen and his theory, I would agree with you totally!
    tannen is female.. deborah tannen.
    her theory was about involvement styles in conversation. she believed that people either had a high involvement style or a high considerateness style (basically, they say a lot or they listen a lot) and said it depended on age, gender, class, race.. etc.

ReputationRep:
    7. Tannen

women

rapport conversation about feelings, relationships etc

most comfortable talking at home and to small groups

they aim in conversation to find common ground and interupt to be supportive

they give more backchannel behaviour

men

report conversation more info facts logical business-like lang

maintain status and preserve independence

like to hold centre stage telling jokes to big social groups

interupt more to gain control

ignore people's utterances more

^^^ this theorist is good to bring in if you mention or take the feminist approach^^

xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu7)
    please could you elaborate on this...

uprising of the merchant classes (chaucer) - the pilgrims on the canterbury tales are in 4 classes, the gentry... who are genuinely virtous. Then the church - each has faults... Then the poor people - each are on pilgrimage for the right reasons.... then the merchant classes... these people are all different but started to appear in society in that certain time period...

the manipulation for monetary profit of thomas of becketts tomb... In this the people connected with the church... like the pardoner manipulate thomas of becketts tomb (the reason for the pilgrimage) to make money. This is chaucers own way of having a dig. (chaucer)

if the pilgrims are on pilgrimage for the right reasons - some of the pilgrims want to make money on the pilgrimage out of other pilgrims (pardoner). Some want to find husbands(wife of bath)... some are on it spiritually for repenting.(chaucer)

if the audience should folow their examples - chaucer wrote the book so people he performed it to could follow the characters examples. THe knight is nearly perfected and virtuous in contrast to the summoner who chaucer describes with animal features and scaley skin.... he is also described as of sexual ambiguity..... (chaucer)

ReputationRep:
    i've at least realised the few approaches i would have taken, but feel i can't so far..

the feminist approach, for example. i tend to adore this one as i can be incredibly cynical about all things male-oriented, but as there are no real gender issues in the pre-release, so far i'm thinking this is moot. (i'm seeing "i attempted a feminist approach on text ... but unfortunately this wasnt possible because .." or whatever)

(new)historicism! i don't feel any of the texts are old enough to employ this approach.

so far i'm loving marxism for this collection!

ReputationRep:
    can someone write me a paragraph on how they would explain binary oppositions within Text 1 And Text4 plssssssssss

ReputationRep:
    can marxism be applied to text 1 or 7?

ReputationRep:
    Text 4 defo!!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.