The Student Room Group

Computer science & economics / finance

I've submitted the same thread in http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52 Yet I find this topic interchangeable, so I'll also try my luck here.

Hi everyone,

I'm an international student from the EU. A month ago I finished high school and decided that I'd like to have a go and apply to some of the UK universities for 2014.

The fields that I'm most interested in are Computer Science (especially programming) and economics/finance. Therefore, I'm looking for a university that provides a course, encompassing both of these areas. However, I'm unfamiliar with the British educational system almost at all, so I need a little bit of your help.

My main questions are:

1. What universities and courses I should apply to if I want to study CS + economics/finance? I'm only interested in the very top universities.

2. Are there any courses of the kind I metioned at all? (For instance, I found one course at St. Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/progspec...CN/year/2011-2
What do you think about it? And is honours degree smth special?)

3. Is it worth trying some kind of joint course/degree or should I look for a degree that is not joint? A liitle bit lost here.

4. Or maybe a better idea would be to take get a bachelor degree in one field, say CS, and the go for a Master in another?

5. Finally, what are the possibilities of getting into the best universities of the UK?

I would be extremely grateful for all responses.

P.S.
For I'm from abroad, to make things a bit more clear about myself:

I consider myself a strong student. I had perfect grades in all subjects and I'm able at Maths most.
I also took my national exams this year and got 100/100 in 4 exams: Maths, IT, English and my native language. I've heard that Cambridge and Oxford require to have at least 95/100 in 3 exams. 100/100 (which i got) is an equivalent to the highest possible grades in the UK AAAA (? not sure what highest grade is). In my country, these are thought to be extremely high grades, only a few other students got these this year. I also got 86/100 in History, which, I know definitely, is a B.
Reply 1
Hey, I noticed no one replied to your thread. I am looking at applying to the St Andrews course of Computer Science and Economics and was wondering whether you went through with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending