Turn on thread page Beta

Cat with a killing obsessions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My sadistic cat keeps killing baby birds. What can I do? If they're obviously going to die, I let her kill them properly so they don't suffer, but sometimes she just bats them around like a toy while they're breathing. It's horrible and I know it's just natural and all that but what's best to do? Any way of stopping her getting them in the first place?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    All cats are possessed end of....put a bell on her should warn the birds of her coming

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, nice idea! I'll try that.

ReputationRep:
    No, you shouldn't. If your cat gets lost then having a bell on its collar will mean it won't be able to catch any food.

ReputationRep:
    ^Cats don't "get lost". If there isn't any reason to think it might get lost - ie. it's a very young cat, or you just moved to a new area - then that's a pretty silly reason not to put a bell on it.

Moreover, they don't hunt for food; they hunt for fun!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, our cat loves to kill: rabbits, mice, rats, birds - anything it can get its paws on. A bell will probably work, it's prey will be able to hear it coming but if it's a good hunter then it will still catch stuff.

ReputationRep:
    My cat used to catch rabbits - it was actually pretty cool, he would sit and eat the rabbit's whole head and then leave the rest.

You could actually hear the skull bone crunching between the cat's jaws. It was really impressive.

bell is a good idea, but make sure the collar is loose enough to slip out of if the cat gets caught on a tree or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's not sadistic. It's the natural way of things. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    It might be natural but you try watching a mauled bird die. It's not nice.

Since my cat has absolutely no reason to hunt (we feed her, and she doesn't even eat what she catches) I think a bell will work best. She has no reason to get lost either, and there's someone at home every day. She already has a collar, should be easy enough

Thanks people!

ReputationRep:
    this is what nature designed cats to do..

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when my cat catches birds, rabbits or the suchlike as in addition to all the usual nasty things, it also insists on attempting to eat the whole carcass in one sitting, meaning it completely gorges itself and then throws up everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    At least your dog doesn't catch toddlers.

ReputationRep:
    If you were clever you would use the cat to your advantage when it catches rabbits.

Beautiful meat. mmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    My cat used to catch rabbits - it was actually pretty cool, he would sit and eat the rabbit's whole head and then leave the rest.

You could actually hear the skull bone crunching between the cat's jaws. It was really impressive.

bell is a good idea, but make sure the collar is loose enough to slip out of if the cat gets caught on a tree or something.
    My cats used to catch mice. And lots of them. They would eat the body, leaving the head totally intact. There would be lots of little eyes staring up at me in the morning. Assuming, of course, that I saw them before I trod on them with bare feet.

Cats can be so endearing.

Our dog chases all the cats away from our garden which stops them getting hold of the birds. (After watching springwatch my parents have strung seeds and mealworms and things up all over the garden). The dog also chases the birds but she's so incompetent they're quite safe from her. *touch wood*

Speaking of endearing cats, the cat we used to have would catch birds and kil them and then leave them on the door mat, she once did it when my mum had chased of another cat that was picking on her like a little 'thank you' present.

ReputationRep:
    lmao im all ten years of having a cat its never "got lost" although its been knocked down 3 times. All cats kill birds just be thankful it hasnt brought any indoors like mine once did, i botled upstairs and locked my bedroom door!

ReputationRep:
    erm...dont be such a wimp - try catching a bird yourself and then you'll see how challenging a skill it is, and how you should heap praise on your cat for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    cats are hunters end of ...

cats will bring 'presents' for the more senior members of their 'pride' which means you

if you can't cope with this you need to consider whether you should have a cat

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a nice picture on my phone of what my cat left me as a present on my landing.

Half a mouse head with some stringy guts coming out.

You could see its ickle brain and everything

ReputationRep:
    u let it bat the birds around? what is wrong with u?

beat your cat with a broom every time it does this..how evil.

i hate cats because they're not cute at all and they're just evil (further proof here), but i've known many who do not kill birds for fun. your cat is a wnker

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.