Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Our next door neighbours cat kept using our garden for a litterbox and to kill baby birds. My mum bought an ultra sonic cat deterrent. They really hate it and it's funny to watch a new cat try and come in the garden. They make a noise as if they're fighting and run out.
    I don't particularly like cats, this opinion may have been formed from having owned rabbits and one of the rabbits being killed by a cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saint_nic)
    u let it bat the birds around? what is wrong with u?

beat your cat with a broom every time it does this..how evil.

i hate cats because they're not cute at all and they're just evil (further proof here), but i've known many who do not kill birds for fun. your cat is a wnker
    Oh deary me :bird: Isn't physically abusing a cat with a broom more evil than a cat catching birds which, btw, is part of their hunter instinct? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My cat used to bring my presents when we first got him, when he realised we weren't interested in them he soon stopped. Either that or the bird population was so low only the smart ones were left.

ReputationRep:
    my god, its almost like its a wild animal or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohemian)
    It might be natural but you try watching a mauled bird die. It's not nice.

Since my cat has absolutely no reason to hunt (we feed her, and she doesn't even eat what she catches) I think a bell will work best. She has no reason to get lost either, and there's someone at home every day. She already has a collar, should be easy enough

Thanks people!
    I also have a cat (used to have five) so I've seen planty of mauled birds being killed. And voles, moles, rabbits. Rabbits have also been killed by my dog (used to have two till one had a stroke ) so I've seen plenty of prey being hunted. And none of them needed to hunt, since we feed them regularly.

It's not fun to watch, but it's not horrible either. It's the way of the world. If it really bothers you, you should put the bird/vole/whatever out of its' misery, so then your cat can't carry on hunting it.

Depends how sensitive you are I suppose really. Are you able to watch nature programs where the lions are eating live gazelle? Or the disection programs?

ReputationRep:
    Chuck a bucket of cold water over the little bugger every time she does it. It's quite fun, and it worked for mine after the first two times I tried it. My cat still kills birds but at least he doesn't bring them in the house anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Our cats (got three of em) have a thing for squirrels, they get at least one a week, you can tell when they've got em cos squirrels squeal a hell of a lot. What they generally do is eat from the head down and munch everything except the tail - bags of fun!

ReputationRep:
    you should make the most of it...there is a company in london that will give you a fiver for each grey squirrel tail you send to them, some privatised ecological cull thing...

ReputationRep:
    Nice! I'm on it. Hope i get paid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    It's not fun to watch, but it's not horrible either. It's the way of the world. If it really bothers you, you should put the bird/vole/whatever out of its' misery, so then your cat can't carry on hunting it.
    That's what I thought might be best, and that's why I let the cat kill birds properly if they're as good as dead already. But equally I can't bring myself to finish it off

Depends how sensitive you are I suppose really. Are you able to watch nature programs where the lions are eating live gazelle? Or the disection programs?
    No. I'm not into that kind of thing. I know it's natural, and I shouldn't find it horrible, but I do all the same. I'm OK with the fact that it happens in the wild, but because I'm a bit of an idiot really, when it comes to this, I don't like seeing birds killed just for fun.

Saint_nic, thanks for that highly constructive comment. Possibly my cat is a w*nker, but that's not going to help the situation much.
    Zippy - it's not my choice to have a cat. I live at home, and the rest of my family think it's cute or something.

ReputationRep:
    If push comes to shove and you can't neck it, just blat it with a shovel! lol

You're not an idiot, you just need to be a little less sensitive imo. Your cat isn't horrid, just doing its thing!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.