The Student Room Group

laws of motion

a body is projected at an angle 45o45^o to the horizontal has a range of 16m. it explodes into two equal parts at the highest point out of which one falls vertically downward from the point of projection while the other moves horizontally. then what is the distance at which the latter will fall from the point of projection? the answer is 24m.

the way i tried solvin:
R=u2sin2θg[br]so,u=160[br]R=\frac{u^2 sin2\theta}{g}[br]so, u=\sqrt{160}[br]
also h=4

now at highest point,m(ucosθ)22=(m/2)v22[br] \frac{m(ucos\theta)^2}{2}= \frac{(m/2)v^2}{2}[br]
so, v=u
now from h=gt22h=\frac{gt^2}{2} and s=vts=vt
we get,
s=48s=4 \sqrt{8}
then we must have required distance = 16/2 +484 \sqrt{8}
but the answers iS 24.
what's wrong here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
You should use conservation of momentum because there is no external force acting on the ball in the horizontal direction :smile:,

According to which the momentum in the horizontal direction is conserved .

The net momentum before collision is m*u*cos(theta)

[m]

After collision the momentum of one of the ball in horizontal direction is 0. And that of be (m/2)*v

Where v is the velocity of half-ball in horizontal direction.

Hence, (m/2)*v= m*u*(2^(-0.5))

v=(2^(0.5))*u

Note that ball has already reached some height and will take u/g time to reach the ground, In this time the ball will travel v*(u*sin(theta)/g) distance in horizontal direction, which will be equal to u^2/g= (160)/10= 16.

Hence the ball will fall at distance of 16/2 +16=24 meter away from the point of projection
Reply 2
Original post by aachal
a body is projected at an angle 45o45^o to the horizontal has a range of 16m. it explodes into two equal parts at the highest point out of which one falls vertically downward from the point of projection while the other moves horizontally. then what is the distance at which the latter will fall from the point of projection? the answer is 24m.

the way i tried solvin:
R=u2sin2θg[br]so,u=160[br]R=\frac{u^2 sin2\theta}{g}[br]so, u=\sqrt{160}[br]

now at highest point,mu(cosθ)22=(m/2)v22[br] \frac{mu(cos\theta)^2}{2}= \frac{(m/2)v^2}{2}[br]
so, v=u
now from h=gt22h=\frac{gt^2}{2} and s=vts=vt
we get,
s=48s=4 \sqrt{8}
then we must have required distance = 16/2 +484 \sqrt{8}
but the answers iS 24.
what's wrong here?

Your mistake is the equation s=ut

It is instead s=u*(sin(theta))*t= (ut)*sin(theta)=(4(8)^0.5)*(2^(0.5))=4*4=16

Hence, s=16/2+16=24
Reply 3
Original post by Analyst210
Your mistake is the equation s=ut

It is instead s=u*(sin(theta))*t= (ut)*sin(theta)=(4(8)^0.5)*(2^(0.5))=4*4=16

Hence, s=16/2+16=24

why is usinθu*sin\theta used instead of u.
Reply 4
Original post by Analyst210
You should use conservation of momentum because there is no external force acting on the ball in the horizontal direction :smile:,

According to which the momentum in the horizontal direction is conserved .

The net momentum before collision is m*u*cos(theta)

[m]

After collision the momentum of one of the ball in horizontal direction is 0. And that of be (m/2)*v

Where v is the velocity of half-ball in horizontal direction.

Hence, (m/2)*v= m*u*(2^(-0.5))

v=(2^(0.5))*u

Note that ball has already reached some height and will take u/g time to reach the ground, In this time the ball will travel v*(u*sin(theta)/g) distance in horizontal direction, which will be equal to u^2/g= (160)/10= 16.

Hence the ball will fall at distance of 16/2 +16=24 meter away from the point of projection

thank you for the help:h:

Original post by aachal
m(ucosθ)22=(m/2)v22[br] \frac{m(ucos\theta)^2}{2}= \frac{(m/2)v^2}{2}[br]

i think i found my mistake. i shouldn't have written cos(theta) right? i realized after i saw that you had use the conservation of momentum. we can use conservation of kinetic energy too right?
Reply 5
Original post by aachal
why is usinθu*sin\theta used instead of u.

u*sin(theta) is the vertical component of the velocity of the ball.

The time it will take to come down will be given by equation

-u*sin(theta)=0-gt

t= u*sin(theta)/g
Reply 6
Original post by aachal
thank you for the help:h:

i think i found my mistake. i shouldn't have written cos(theta) right? i realized after i saw that you had use the conservation of momentum. we can use conservation of kinetic energy too right?

NO, U CANNOT USE CONSERVATION OF KINETIC ENERGY

Kinetic energy need not be conserved if no net external force acts on a system of particles.

Kinetic energy may convert to potential energy during an explosion, heat is released, sound is produced :smile:

But on a system of particles if no net force acts, net linear momentum will remain unchanged

Quick Reply

Latest