The Student Room Group

Why do you want to be a pharmacist, really, why?

Hey there.

I'm currently sat in a flat a short distance away from LJMU's Byrom street campus. I've spent two years on LJMU's MPharm course and am currently leaving it for a few reasons. This could be called my break-up letter with pharmacy, it could be called a desperate cry for attention, but I like to think of it as an insight into a world that you are probably very interested in.

I -like you- want to help people, I feel like I want a career where I'm not stuck in a little cubicle and would love to feel like I've made a difference in someone else's life... Well, that's what I thought at least.

Being a pharmacist is basically a cross between being the assistant-manager of a shop and head librarian. You take in a load of stock, sort it and then give it out to the right people and try and make sure that everything goes to plan .. Oh and make sure you don't get sued. This is the job for most of your day, a job that required you to get a masters degree.
Whilst you may say that there are many aspects to pharmacy, with aseptics, medical information, industry, hospital and academia all working alongside each other, the majority of MPharm graduates go into working in the retail side of the business (working in a chemist such as boots or lloyds).

Let me tell you about an interview at a pharmacy I had a little while ago: I was invited to interview for the position of pharmacy technician at an unnamed supermarket near me that rhymes with "Jamesbury's".

I was told to meet the pharmacist in the pharmacy, yet after walking around the edge of the store and seeing the large and spacious butchers, clean and stylish opticians and very fancy cafe, I realised I could not see the pharmacy in this store!

"Gosh" I think "maybe I'm at the wrong store!". Whilst I head back to the front of the store to find someone who can help, I see it; the pharmacist is stuck in the shelves.
Well... To be exact the entire pharmacy was in the space of a shelf, and not even half of an isle. This is how retail pharmacists are viewed and this is the life of many a pharmacist. Crammed into a little hole, surrounded by people who want to talk to you -quite literally- about their **** and who probably have two screaming little ****s with them (not literally).

You spend 5 years in higher education for the privilege of being a pharmacist and while it may once have been a privilege, it certainly cannot be seen to be one any longer. The MPharm program is becoming increasingly irrelevant with aspects such as compounding still being taught today (ask your pharmacist today if they can make you something in the pharmacy and they'll probably look at you as if you're crazy). The lack of regulation on the admissions into pharmacy schools means that many universities are using them as "cash cows" (and believe me, they really are cash cows). Which just means that within a few years there's going to be many, many unemployed pharmacists, it's just simple macroeconomics.

With the medical world becoming a nightmare of litigation, when you are probably so bright in order to pursue this career (I mean, AAB/AAA as predicted grades for most pharmacy schools!?) when you could do *anything* else; I have to wonder, why? Why would you want to be a pharmacist?

As an aside, if anyone has any questions about MPharm/LJMU I'd be happy to answer them! PM me / Post here
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
An interesting point of view.

When I applied to pharmacy the grade boundaries were a lot lower and there was a demand for new pharmacists at the time.

I've noticed that your post applies very much to community pharmacy; a sector that I never had the chance to work in.
The only input I can really put in is that not everyone wants to work as a community pharmacist.

When I was studying for the MPharm programme my intentions were 100% NOT to work in community pharmacy (based on the above assumptions / stereotypes / truths), but to instead work in hospital pharmacy (which is far more clinical and not like running a shop) or industry (which uses more of your scientific skills).
..Although it is a bit rich of me to talk about that, considering I left the profession.

I'm just wondering though, if you had not failed, do you think you would have still persisted with the MPharm course? Or do you think you would have left anyway?

What are your plans now?
Reply 2
Original post by theepw
An interesting point of view.

When I applied to pharmacy the grade boundaries were a lot lower and there was a demand for new pharmacists at the time.

I've noticed that your post applies very much to community pharmacy; a sector that I never had the chance to work in.
The only input I can really put in is that not everyone wants to work as a community pharmacist.

When I was studying for the MPharm programme my intentions were 100% NOT to work in community pharmacy (based on the above assumptions / stereotypes / truths), but to instead work in hospital pharmacy (which is far more clinical and not like running a shop) or industry (which uses more of your scientific skills).
..Although it is a bit rich of me to talk about that, considering I left the profession.

I'm just wondering though, if you had not failed, do you think you would have still persisted with the MPharm course? Or do you think you would have left anyway?

What are your plans now?

I agree that there are a lot of aspects involved in pharmacy! And it's a little rude of me to dump on a whole profession so widely -especially when I've not practiced in them all!

I must say hospital is more appealing than community pharmacy, even if the pay is lower :P. However there is a terribly large amount of competition for hospital places. I was on a course last summer which taught pharmacy students how to get placements in hospitals and how to become a hospital pharmacist. The figures were staggering! If my memory isn't failing me, I believe there were 40 applications per place and only around 30% of people who want to be hospital pharmacists get pre-reg places in hospitals. Alongside that a lot of big industry places require that you do a summer placement with them before you graduate before you can work for them and these are even more competitive (or apparently impossible to get on in GSK's case!).

If I had not failed my plan was to take my degree and run. I was going to slog through, get a 2:2 , avoid doing the pre-reg and get a masters in computer science. Now I've moved onto second year of "Applied Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences Bsc" and I plan on doing the same.. Take my degree with OK honours, get a comp. sci. degree and become a developer of some sort. I have been teaching myself C++ at the same time, so maybe I'll be able to get a job post-graduation without a masters, who knows!

Side note: I've noticed that the post I've made probably seems a little combative and maybe a little hard for people to reply to. It was brave of you to reply theepw, I wonder if anyone worried I'd bite their head off for saying that they just love the idea of being a pharmacist... I'd may think they are silly, but I'd accept their opinion :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Chilledice
I agree that there are a lot of aspects involved in pharmacy! And it's a little rude of me to dump on a whole profession so widely -especially when I've not practiced in them all!

I must say hospital is more appealing than community pharmacy, even if the pay is lower :P. However there is a terribly large amount of competition for hospital places. I was on a course last summer which taught pharmacy students how to get placements in hospitals and how to become a hospital pharmacist. The figures were staggering! If my memory isn't failing me, I believe there were 40 applications per place and only around 30% of people who want to be hospital pharmacists get pre-reg places in hospitals. Alongside that a lot of big industry places require that you do a summer placement with them before you graduate before you can work for them and these are even more competitive (or apparently impossible to get on in GSK's case!).

If I had not failed my plan was to take my degree and run. I was going to slog through, get a 2:2 , avoid doing the pre-reg and get a masters in computer science. Now I've moved onto second year of "Applied Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences Bsc" and I plan on doing the same.. Take my degree with OK honours, get a comp. sci. degree and become a developer of some sort. I have been teaching myself C++ at the same time, so maybe I'll be able to get a job post-graduation without a masters, who knows!

Side note: I've noticed that the post I've made probably seems a little combative and maybe a little hard for people to reply to. It was brave of you to reply theepw, I wonder if anyone worried I'd bite their head off for saying that they just love the idea of being a pharmacist... I'd may think they are silly, but I'd accept their opinion :smile:

Well at the end of the day it's your opinion, so you have a right to talk about it!
Pharmacy just wasn't for me personally, but I know a lot of people who enjoy their job working as a pharmacist. On the flip-side, I also know people who don't enjoy their job working as a pharmacist.

At the end of the day, it's all about doing what you want to do with your own life and what makes you happy and fulfilled.
A 4 year course is way too long for a career in pharmacy ...The first year of the course was a complete waste of time for most of us.........it is there to act as a filter ; most people with decent A-level grades could manage 2nd year without doing the first year.

To be honest , I wished I have done better in my A-levels (or repeated them) and went with medicine..... but I guess I will have do apply for graduate medicine next year after Pre-registration
Reply 5
Original post by DentalLondon
A 4 year course is way too long for a career in pharmacy ...The first year of the course was a complete waste of time for most of us.........it is there to act as a filter ; most people with decent A-level grades could manage 2nd year without doing the first year.

To be honest , I wished I have done better in my A-levels (or repeated them) and went with medicine..... but I guess I will have do apply for graduate medicine next year after Pre-registration

Interestingly one of my lecturers asked the cohort to raise their hand if they wanted to be a Medic but either didnt get on the course or are planning on doing medicine after they graduate, about 1/3rd of the cohort raised their hand! Crazy stuff
Reply 6
Pharmacy as a career is the f*cking pits. I'd say over 95% of the Pharmacists I know hate their jobs. It's tedious, monotonous yet stressful and totally exhausting. Most Pharmacists in Community these days do not get a break, stand for 9-10 hours a day, are subject to harassment from area Managers regarding targets etc, take an awful amount of abuse from the general Public and are generally treated like a piece of sh*t. Trust me it won't be different for you lot, it will be even worse.

It's a trade dressed up as a Profession. Study Medicine.
Reply 7
Hello, I am 16 (just finished GCSE's) and I am going to do biology, chemistry, maths and geography at A-level, I am wanting to be a Pharmacist!!:smile:
I have just seen all of your comments and I am totally shocked!! (However not swayed away from the job)
Anyway, just wanted to ask is there any good points you can see at all in the job ;plus I'm not the best at chemistry (however, I should get an A*/A at GCSE) just wondered if the chemistry content in the 5 year course is bad? Lastly, is there any advice you can give me as a 16 yr old!!!:biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm a hospital pharmacist and most days I love my job! I get a lot of interaction with patients, and work in a multi-disciplinary team with consultants, junior doctors, nurses, dietitians, etc. Yes it has its stressful times, and to progress you need further qualifications so there will be lots of studying whilst also working full time.

Community pharmacy is a slog day-in day-out, and you are at the mercy of targets set at store level (my partner used to work in community, hated it and got out). Hospital pharmacy is potentially a very different career. Yes it is getting very competitive, and the money is less than in community, but it is worth considering.
Original post by Hellomoto.
Hello, I am 16 (just finished GCSE's) and I am going to do biology, chemistry, maths and geography at A-level, I am wanting to be a Pharmacist!!:smile:
I have just seen all of your comments and I am totally shocked!! (However not swayed away from the job)
Anyway, just wanted to ask is there any good points you can see at all in the job ;plus I'm not the best at chemistry (however, I should get an A*/A at GCSE) just wondered if the chemistry content in the 5 year course is bad? Lastly, is there any advice you can give me as a 16 yr old!!!:biggrin:

Hi,

I'm glad your not completely cynical about it after reading all of this!
Chemistry A level is a lot harder than GCSE, I'm not trying to put you off but to actually get on the degree you firstly need an A (or possibly a B at selected Uni's) in Chemistry. I believe, as someone who has just finished there first year so not an expert by any means, but if you can achieve that then you can most likely handle the chemistry content of the course with some work. Work hard in your AS levels as these are what your predicted grades will be based on and are worth half of your A levels.

My advice to you would be to really think about why you want to do Pharmacy, is it parental pressure? Do you think you are guaranteed a job? (You're not anymore and by the time you qualify there will be many many more pharmacists out there.. having said that the prospects are still better than for someone who studies history etc.) Do you genuinely like science and people? It can help you think if there is anything else you might like to do that covers that tick box, if they are the right reasons and make you focus on getting where you want to be.
Also get some work experience in your local pharmacy (hand in CV, ask managers) and try and organise a week of shadowing in a hospital if possible. This will give you insight for your CV/personal statement and again check if it's really something you want to do.

Another thing to have in mind is the role of a Pharmacist is changing (and with community I have no idea what is going to happen there... I think with EPS2 the rise of online/warehouse pharmacies that mainly employ technicians with few pharmacists possibly put smaller pharmacies out of business therefore decreasing the jobs or at least the pay available for pharmacists out there could be imminent.. and with an influx of pharmacy students the pay and opportunities may dramatically decrease and already has to a certain extent.. but what do I know:confused:) and there are many sectors people don't even seem to talk about!

I've just finished a 2 week placement in primary care, on which I also met an intermediate care pharmacist. Careers do start in hospital or community but there are other options out there. You can also do various masters and PHD's and go into industry (it's easier to "climb the corporate ladder" with a PHD) or academia. You could also go into graduate areas like law with further training. I don't think it's as doom and gloom as everyone says, including my earlier comments, you just have to be prepared to be flexible and try make opportunities for yourself.
The RPS website also has some details of job roles if that helps: http://www.rpharms.com/careers-in-pharmacy/pharmacy-roles.asp

I just think you have to make an informed decision as it's your life :smile:
I personally would quite like to be a hospital pharmacist, at least to start out, and if the opportunity did arise to go into primary care, industry or some other area I may go for it. For now I need to concentrate on doing everything I can to get a Hospital Pre-Reg in a couple of years (as people have pointed out, it's going to be tough)!

Good luck in your GCSE's and beyond. Sorry this is an essay, I'm getting far to board this summer!
Original post by Hoganballs
Pharmacy as a career is the f*cking pits. I'd say over 95% of the Pharmacists I know hate their jobs. It's tedious, monotonous yet stressful and totally exhausting. Most Pharmacists in Community these days do not get a break, stand for 9-10 hours a day, are subject to harassment from area Managers regarding targets etc, take an awful amount of abuse from the general Public and are generally treated like a piece of sh*t. Trust me it won't be different for you lot, it will be even worse.

It's a trade dressed up as a Profession. Study Medicine.

To be honest, some students on the MPharm course have left after their third year with a (BSc) degree and are starting graduate medicine next month. I wished I have followed their advice and applied for graduate medicine last September; instead , I now have 2 more years (at least) before being qualified as a pharmacist.

Then , to be working underneath them within the hospital , I hope they would not forget their root when they become fully qualified medics and shown their respect to all pharmacists which our profession deserve
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cardiffstudent
Hi,

I'm glad your not completely cynical about it after reading all of this!
Chemistry A level is a lot harder than GCSE, I'm not trying to put you off but to actually get on the degree you firstly need an A (or possibly a B at selected Uni's) in Chemistry. I believe, as someone who has just finished there first year so not an expert by any means, but if you can achieve that then you can most likely handle the chemistry content of the course with some work. Work hard in your AS levels as these are what your predicted grades will be based on and are worth half of your A levels.

My advice to you would be to really think about why you want to do Pharmacy, is it parental pressure? Do you think you are guaranteed a job? (You're not anymore and by the time you qualify there will be many many more pharmacists out there.. having said that the prospects are still better than for someone who studies history etc.) Do you genuinely like science and people? It can help you think if there is anything else you might like to do that covers that tick box, if they are the right reasons and make you focus on getting where you want to be.
Also get some work experience in your local pharmacy (hand in CV, ask managers) and try and organise a week of shadowing in a hospital if possible. This will give you insight for your CV/personal statement and again check if it's really something you want to do.

Another thing to have in mind is the role of a Pharmacist is changing (and with community I have no idea what is going to happen there... I think with EPS2 the rise of online/warehouse pharmacies that mainly employ technicians with few pharmacists possibly put smaller pharmacies out of business therefore decreasing the jobs or at least the pay available for pharmacists out there could be imminent.. and with an influx of pharmacy students the pay and opportunities may dramatically decrease and already has to a certain extent.. but what do I know:confused:) and there are many sectors people don't even seem to talk about!

I've just finished a 2 week placement in primary care, on which I also met an intermediate care pharmacist. Careers do start in hospital or community but there are other options out there. You can also do various masters and PHD's and go into industry (it's easier to "climb the corporate ladder" with a PHD) or academia. You could also go into graduate areas like law with further training. I don't think it's as doom and gloom as everyone says, including my earlier comments, you just have to be prepared to be flexible and try make opportunities for yourself.
The RPS website also has some details of job roles if that helps: http://www.rpharms.com/careers-in-pharmacy/pharmacy-roles.asp

I just think you have to make an informed decision as it's your life :smile:
I personally would quite like to be a hospital pharmacist, at least to start out, and if the opportunity did arise to go into primary care, industry or some other area I may go for it. For now I need to concentrate on doing everything I can to get a Hospital Pre-Reg in a couple of years (as people have pointed out, it's going to be tough)!

Good luck in your GCSE's and beyond. Sorry this is an essay, I'm getting far to board this summer!

Good luck too with your Hospital Pre-reg training, Plus thank you for your advice about pharmacy and the website which is great, looks like I've got alot of thinking to do!!!:biggrin: Thank you again!!!
Reply 12
Original post by Hellomoto.

It's nice to see someone considering their career options at your age.
When I read your post it made me think, 'what would I like to have been told about pharmacy when I was 16?'.

Firstly, it would be to really enquire about why you want to study pharmacy, what sparked your interest / desire to want to become a pharmacist?

Secondly, work-experience, work-experience, work-experience!
Get some in a hospital and in a community pharmacy (and not just a few days, try and get a few weeks if you can). This is important because you can really appreciate honestly (and without rose-tinted specs), what it is that a pharmacist actually does.
When I was 16, my ideas of what I thought a pharmacist did was MASSIVELY different to what the pharmacist actually does.

So I guess thirdly it would be: do you truly know what a pharmacist does? I'm guessing at 16 it's unlikely that you know exactly what they do and what their daily routine involves, which is why this sort of goes hand in hand with the work-experience thing.

I wish you all the best in exploring the profession!
Just remember, you are still very young and still have plenty of time before you have to make up your mind about what degree you want to do.

If you feel at this moment in time that you really want to be a pharmacist, then that's fair enough.. BUT.. don't just accept that feeling at face value; this is now your chance to really explore the profession that you might want to enter, just in case it's not actually your cup of tea.
If it does turn out to be something that really is not for you, then it is far better to realise that sooner rather than later (i.e. not half way through the MPharm degree, like I did!).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by DentalLondon
To be honest, some students on the MPharm course have left after their third year with a (BSc) degree and are starting graduate medicine next month. I wished I have followed their advice and applied for graduate medicine last September; instead , I now have 2 more years (at least) before being qualified as a pharmacist.

Then , to be working underneath them within the hospital , I hope they would not forget their root when they become fully qualified medics and shown their respect to all pharmacists which our profession deserve

'Working below them'? How dare you. The amount of times a pharmacist has to tell a medic to change a prescription in hospital because it could potentially either give very bad adverse reactions or kill the patient is obviously something you have no seen. The reason you have probably not seen this is because youre a failed medic who has no interest in pharmacy. Thus, youve probably reached your third year and still haven't managed to secure a decent pharmacy hospital placement.

I personally got a scholarship as undergrad to study pharmacy and my grades would have easily sufficed for medicine.

People that think people are 'below' them don't even deserve to have the opportunity of education. So youre saying nurses are 'below' pharmacists because they require lower entry grades?

I suggest you educate yourself on the world of pharmacy. oh by the way in Canada for example (and many other parts of the world) pharmacy is at doctorate level so you become a Dr of Pharmacy.. I wish it was like that in England because people like you wouldnt get into medicine ... then not get into pharmacy either because its the same grades.

Rant over.
Reply 14
Original post by asaaal
'Working below them'? How dare you. The amount of times a pharmacist has to tell a medic to change a prescription in hospital because it could potentially either give very bad adverse reactions or kill the patient is obviously something you have no seen. The reason you have probably not seen this is because youre a failed medic who has no interest in pharmacy. Thus, youve probably reached your third year and still haven't managed to secure a decent pharmacy hospital placement.

I personally got a scholarship as undergrad to study pharmacy and my grades would have easily sufficed for medicine.

People that think people are 'below' them don't even deserve to have the opportunity of education. So youre saying nurses are 'below' pharmacists because they require lower entry grades?

I suggest you educate yourself on the world of pharmacy. oh by the way in Canada for example (and many other parts of the world) pharmacy is at doctorate level so you become a Dr of Pharmacy.. I wish it was like that in England because people like you wouldnt get into medicine ... then not get into pharmacy either because its the same grades.

Rant over.

In america you get a doctorate for being a chiropractor so thats not really a good point... - and it doesn't require the same grades as med/dent/vet in america or canada.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I think the thing with pharmacy is that it really isn't for people who aren't passionate about it, and part of the stigma surrounding pharmacy is because a sizable portion of any pharmacy intake is usually comprised of people who didn't get into medicine. One of my friends pointed out that if it weren't for the fact they didn't get into medicine, there would be hardly any males on our course, which seems quite true actually judging from a lot of the guys I've spoken to. So now everyone thinks we're failed medics. :colonhash: From what I've heard and seen of community pharmacy, I really don't fancy it, so I'm determined to get into hospital somehow, there's the potential to specialise in that. I'm also really interested in vet pharmacy, a MSc in it is going to start in 2014, so when I (hopefully) qualify in 2017 the first new vet pharm postgrads will be unleashed, I like the idea of going into that. But I do agree that community isn't an attractive prospect at all, at least at the moment for me.

discriminatory to the pharm lads...cheers

Hmm yeh hopsital pharmacy more tickles my fancy..did yeh manage to get any placement this summer kiddo:?

interesting..taking a gap in the market..
To become a legal drug dealer.
Only joking about becoming a legal drug dealer, I don't want to become a pharmacist, just wanted to add a bit of life to this forum- no pun intended looool.

Great job though guys, keep up the high ambitions!
Original post by Chilledice
Hey there.

I'm currently sat in a flat a short distance away from LJMU's Byrom street campus. I've spent two years on LJMU's MPharm course and am currently leaving it for a few reasons. This could be called my break-up letter with pharmacy, it could be called a desperate cry for attention, but I like to think of it as an insight into a world that you are probably very interested in.

I -like you- want to help people, I feel like I want a career where I'm not stuck in a little cubicle and would love to feel like I've made a difference in someone else's life... Well, that's what I thought at least.

Being a pharmacist is basically a cross between being the assistant-manager of a shop and head librarian. You take in a load of stock, sort it and then give it out to the right people and try and make sure that everything goes to plan .. Oh and make sure you don't get sued. This is the job for most of your day, a job that required you to get a masters degree.
Whilst you may say that there are many aspects to pharmacy, with aseptics, medical information, industry, hospital and academia all working alongside each other, the majority of MPharm graduates go into working in the retail side of the business (working in a chemist such as boots or lloyds).

Let me tell you about an interview at a pharmacy I had a little while ago: I was invited to interview for the position of pharmacy technician at an unnamed supermarket near me that rhymes with "Jamesbury's".

I was told to meet the pharmacist in the pharmacy, yet after walking around the edge of the store and seeing the large and spacious butchers, clean and stylish opticians and very fancy cafe, I realised I could not see the pharmacy in this store!

"Gosh" I think "maybe I'm at the wrong store!". Whilst I head back to the front of the store to find someone who can help, I see it; the pharmacist is stuck in the shelves.
Well... To be exact the entire pharmacy was in the space of a shelf, and not even half of an isle. This is how retail pharmacists are viewed and this is the life of many a pharmacist. Crammed into a little hole, surrounded by people who want to talk to you -quite literally- about their **** and who probably have two screaming little ****s with them (not literally).

You spend 5 years in higher education for the privilege of being a pharmacist and while it may once have been a privilege, it certainly cannot be seen to be one any longer. The MPharm program is becoming increasingly irrelevant with aspects such as compounding still being taught today (ask your pharmacist today if they can make you something in the pharmacy and they'll probably look at you as if you're crazy). The lack of regulation on the admissions into pharmacy schools means that many universities are using them as "cash cows" (and believe me, they really are cash cows). Which just means that within a few years there's going to be many, many unemployed pharmacists, it's just simple macroeconomics.

With the medical world becoming a nightmare of litigation, when you are probably so bright in order to pursue this career (I mean, AAB/AAA as predicted grades for most pharmacy schools!?) when you could do *anything* else; I have to wonder, why? Why would you want to be a pharmacist?

As an aside, if anyone has any questions about MPharm/LJMU I'd be happy to answer them! PM me / Post here

A lot of my pharmacist friends have the same problems. I feel the pharmacy council and the government really do not care about pharmacists. They tell me that they do not feel like healthcare professionals at all and the layman really doesn't know how qualified a pharmacist is.
Reply 19
You speak sense OP. I wanted to study Pharmacy because it is the profession that suit my kind of person. I have never been interested in single honour courses like Physics, Biochemistry or Botany. Yet although i loved Maths and Physics in high school, i 've always prefered the life concerned medical field to Engineering or Environmental Design fields.

Left with the medical field, Nursing feel too
Left with the auxiliary or surbodinate to me. Medical Doctors in my opinion don't get enough time off work. I love to work, but a job that would rob me of time for leisure or recreation daily is a NO for me regardless of the pay and besides i don't like the hospital setting.

That leaves Pharmacy, so i said well lets give it a shot. Unfortunately, am on the verge of getting kicked out and you know what? Getting kicked out or not doesn't change anything, i will end of getting a major in this field.

Latest

Trending

Trending