The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3 June 2014 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Better late than never.

This thread is here for us to discuss how revision is going, keep each other sane and help us understand the fundamental maths behind C3. Feel free to post questions your stuck on and hopefully some of us will be able to help and it will also give all of us a chance to see new questions and experience the vast majority of content so we don't get stuck in an exam like the one sat in June 2013

C3 Topics: Algebra and Functions, Trigonometry, Exponetials and Logarithms, Differentiation, Numerical Methods

Useful trig formulae:

Spoiler

Here are some resources:
Examsolutions - www.examsolutions.net
Maths247 - Website: m4ths.com Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/maths247
Past papers - http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html scroll down to core 3
C3 June 2013 - http://www.mediafire.com/?5djntd8dd7ykb#b2svxhm6xno84 Scroll down to mathematics and then click on QP or MS to find C3
Notes: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2420313&p=43789377 Credit to SuperMushroom

I understand its early but the early bird catches the worm (I suppose)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Revision notes are available here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2420313&p=43789377

In case anybody is interested :smile:
I think you mean "better early than never". I did C3/C4 this year but odds are I'm going to have to repeat next year so I'm going to watch this thread :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by keromedic
I think you mean "better early than never". I did C3/C4 this year but odds are I'm going to have to repeat next year so I'm going to watch this thread :smile:

Was definitely intended to be taken in a sarcastic manor :biggrin:. Ah this thread will be of great us to all of us then, share tips etc. Next time we'll stick it to edexcel :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by krisshP
Revision notes are available here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2420313&p=43789377

In case anybody is interested :smile:

Added to the OP, those are some fantastic notes
Lol this is taking prepared to the next level. Revising for a module 90% of sitters haven't even started learning :P
Reply 6
I'm sitting this in January -_- and it's the first year for International Advanced Levels.. It's probably going to be so hard! C3 and c4 are one 2 hr 30 paper on the IAL
Reply 7
Onto C4 now!
Reply 8
Original post by Faye_m
I'm sitting this in January -_- and it's the first year for International Advanced Levels.. It's probably going to be so hard! C3 and c4 are one 2 hr 30 paper on the IAL

O_o I wish you the very best of luck, you may still use this thread of course. Perhaps your IAL can bring a few interesting questions over here.

Best of luck, its good you get January exams though
Reply 9
Original post by Lunch_Box
Onto C4 now!

Nicely done, I'm finishing off double angle formulae and the rest of further trig (chapter 7?) then swiftly moving onto C4.

Sitting 9 modules this year so getting the fundamentals that C3 and C4 give out of the way asap
Reply 10
Original post by Robbie242
O_o I wish you the very best of luck, you may still use this thread of course. Perhaps your IAL can bring a few interesting questions over here.

Best of luck, its good you get January exams though

Thanx :smile: I'm re starting c3 and really making sure I understand every question! Don't want a repeat of the last exams
Reply 11
I'm taking 5 modules in June, c2, c3, c4, s1, m1. I'm only in year 10 next year :biggrin: I'm learning C3 now

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Nicely done, I'm finishing off double angle formulae and the rest of further trig (chapter 7?) then swiftly moving onto C4.

Sitting 9 modules this year so getting the fundamentals that C3 and C4 give out of the way asap

I'm being doing 9 modules too! (10 if you count AEA). So does that mean you're doing FM as well?
Reply 13
Original post by Lunch_Box
Onto C4 now!

Same. Which book have you got? The 2004 Heinemann book has so many mistakes especially in the binomial expansion chapter!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Original post by adi19956
Same. Which book have you got? The 2004 Heinemann book has so many mistakes especially in the binomial expansion chapter!!

Just the standard edexcel ones.

Binomial expansion questions take forever!
Should be an easy exam to make up for 2013....
Reply 16
Original post by Hamushte
I'm being doing 9 modules too! (10 if you count AEA). So does that mean you're doing FM as well?

Hey there Ham, I'm technically doing 12modules for maths then haha xD.

I've done Maths AS and FM AS this year. Doing AFM AS, Maths A2, FM A2, STEP II, STEP III and AEA all in june 2014. It's gonna be hard work haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
So I finished learning C3 a while ago and looking back at it I've forgotten a lot of it already :s How do people suggest keeping the knowledge? I was thinking one past paper per week, but there are only 18 I think plus around 10 Solomons. Also of course I'll do loads right before the exam. Should I move onto different boards? Would that help? It's all pretty much the same stuff after all

Reply 18
Original post by adi19956
So I finished learning C3 a while ago and looking back at it I've forgotten a lot of it already :s How do people suggest keeping the knowledge? I was thinking one past paper per week, but there are only 18 I think plus around 10 Solomons. Also of course I'll do loads right before the exam. Should I move onto different boards? Would that help? It's all pretty much the same stuff after all

Practicing 1 question from each section every 1-2weeks perhaps? I've forgotten a bit of functions but everything else has stuck, we've got like 10months or less until the exam period and that's when you get all the knowledge secured. I wouldn't start past papers now, I'd get all units out the way and then by then it should be February hopefully (depending on if you do m and fm).
I wouldn't focus on other exam board material it hasn't really served me that well (apart from MEI). Just keep refreshing stuff and it doesn't matter right now if you forget things, it will in 9months or so though
Reply 19
Practicing 1 question from each section every 1-2weeks perhaps? I've forgotten a bit of functions but everything else has stuck, we've got like 10months or less until the exam period and that's when you get all the knowledge secured. I wouldn't start past papers now, I'd get all units out the way and then by then it should be February hopefully (depending on if you do m and fm).
I wouldn't focus on other exam board material it hasn't really served me that well (apart from MEI). Just keep refreshing stuff and it doesn't matter right now if you forget things, it will in 9months or so though

Oh it definitely matters for me, I forgot to mention that I'm going to make my teachers give me a mock in C3, C4 and M2 to prove I'm A* material because I didn't really work (at all) in my AS year until roughly a week before M1 and C1 so I think I'm going to scrape an A, but I really want an A* prediction in maths.
I also need to prove I'm good at maths so that they let me take up FM/ AS FM which I didn't do last year, so I need to do past papers soon to do this. Or I could have tried harder in my AS year....

Quick Reply