The Student Room Group

HELP! Am I good enough for a psychology degree?

Well I have never studied psychology, but something about it has always intrigued me. My Alevels are humanties based and I have grade C in gcse science....will I be able to cope with a psychology degree at a russel group uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AdoreMoi
Well I have never studied psychology, but something about it has always intrigued me. My Alevels are humanties based and I have grade C in gcse science....will I be able to cope with a psychology degree at a russel group uni?

...........????
No.
What are you predicted results at A Level? Assumably not, you will need the prior background knowledge of Psychology at A Level for a Russell Group uni and they generally request a B in GCSE Science and Mathematics if you do not have the formal qualifications that they are asking for. Ring up the universities that you are looking at and look at the entry points on their websites/UCAS search. That will give you all the information that you need. Otherwise you will need to do a lot of background reading and have an extremely strong personal statement when you submit your application.
Reply 4
Original post by WeepingAngel94
What are you predicted results at A Level? Assumably not, you will need the prior background knowledge of Psychology at A Level for a Russell Group uni and they generally request a B in GCSE Science and Mathematics if you do not have the formal qualifications that they are asking for. Ring up the universities that you are looking at and look at the entry points on their websites/UCAS search. That will give you all the information that you need. Otherwise you will need to do a lot of background reading and have an extremely strong personal statement when you submit your application.

Well thats the thing the uni only asks for C minimum in english and Maths...does not mention science gcse at all. Also, for A levels it says it will offer AAB to students offering a science subject, but AAA to those who do not.
Without a science background would my transaction into uni and getting used to the course be hard?
How much biology is involved in psychology? What the biology like gcse, a level?
Well, Biology tends to go towards the testing showing how the neurons etc work, if I were you, look at the grade you think you are going to get at A level, but if I were you, either do a foundation year at the uni for the course OR if you are doing your AS's, drop some of your subjects and pick up Psychology or Biology, otherwise I do not think they will accept you, as that means that getting the AAA means you are willing to work your ass off to catch up on everything that you have missed that A Level will have taught you.
Reply 6
Well, Biology tends to go towards the testing showing how the neurons etc work, if I were you, look at the grade you think you are going to get at A level, but if I were you, either do a foundation year at the uni for the course OR if you are doing your AS's, drop some of your subjects and pick up Psychology or Biology, otherwise I do not think they will accept you, as that means that getting the AAA means you are willing to work your ass off to catch up on everything that you have missed that A Level will have taught you.

Im an A2 student and have an offer from the uni if I get AAA...but you think it would be too much to handle if i have no science background?
If you dont mind me asking are you studying psychology at uni atm?
You might be more successful applying to a scottish russel group uni as many scottish schools don't offer psychology meaning more applicants would be in the same situation as you having not studied psychology. I suggest reading as many books as possible on psychology as they will often explain the basic scientific processes so you will be at less of a disadvantage plus extra reading looks good on a personal statement.
Reply 8

Btw if science was a big component in the degree would they not have placed more emphasis on it :s
And does the first year not allow you to obtain the foundation for future learning?
Reply 9
Original post by Batgirl96
You might be more successful applying to a scottish russel group uni as many scottish schools don't offer psychology meaning more applicants would be in the same situation as you having not studied psychology. I suggest reading as many books as possible on psychology as they will often explain the basic scientific processes so you will be at less of a disadvantage plus extra reading looks good on a personal statement.

Any particular books/ websites/ reports that could help?
Any particular books/ websites/ reports that could help?

It really depends what aspects of psychology your interested in. V.S Ramachandran is an amazing psychologist and author so I can recommend him. Look around on the internet and see what interests you most.
I am not, no, but I know a lot of people who are currently studying psychology in an array of different places, including RG universities. It is a hell of a lot of work and you have to remember so much. Psychology is seen as a science, so a little background in biology tends to be useful.
Reply 12
Why don't you email their admissions for further details?
Reply 13
mickey mouse wants a word with you
Reply 14
Original post by FloydRix
mickey mouse wants a word with you

explain?
Reply 15
Original post by locrian37
Why don't you email their admissions for further details?

They seem to be fine with taking people on without a science A level - they dont even have a science gcse requirement :/ and this is a university in the top 10 for psychology and a russel group institution and a psychology BSC :/
Reply 16
I am not, no, but I know a lot of people who are currently studying psychology in an array of different places, including RG universities. It is a hell of a lot of work and you have to remember so much. Psychology is seen as a science, so a little background in biology tends to be useful.

But biology to what level? A level/ gcse?
and thank you for all your advice so far, much appreciated

Hey, good for you for exploring your options! (that wasn't meant to sound patronising, but supportive :tongue: ) Ok, so you may be good enough for a psychology degree; the entry requirements for psychology vary. Have you checked out UCAS, the Universities and Colleges Admission Service? (sorry I've always wanted to do that, as in say what the abbreviation stands for lol). Check this out, I just put in psychology as a course, and it comes up with all the Uni's that offer it, and then you can click it and see the entry requirements. So I clicked on Aberdeen's Bsc Psychology course and bam, now you're on and you can see that in GCSE you need
GCSE Grade C or Standard Grade 3 in English and Mathematics and either Chemistry, Physics or Dual Award Science
and at A level the standard offer is
BBB
! But, you want a Russell group University, so let's check out the list of Russell group Uni's -University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
Durham University
University of Edinburgh
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
Queen Mary, University of London
Queen's University Belfast
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University College London
University of Warwick
University of York

How about we check out Nottingham!
You need
GCSE Mathematics grade B (the level 2 equivalence is not acceptable, the GCSE is needed ). We can accept the GCSE English equivalence as part of the Diploma

And for Alevel
AAA - AAB, Academic subjects preferred; candidates with at least one A level in a science (which includes A level psychology) will be asked to attain AAB. Candidates without a science A level may be asked to achieve AAA.
But, if that doesn't answer all your questions then why don't you email them (at the bottom of the page there's an email and a phone number) just in case? Or perhaps you could do a bit of googling!

So, what am I saying here? Check out the Uni's, their entry requirements, ring them up etc. Do a bit of independent reading :biggrin: !
I hope that helps. (I have too much time on my hands lol!) Btw (click on the things that are blue for a link to relevant pages lol)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by anonymouspie227
Hey, good for you for exploring your options! (that wasn't meant to sound patronising, but supportive :tongue: ) Ok, so you may be good enough for a psychology degree; the entry requirements for psychology vary. Have you checked out UCAS, the Universities and Colleges Admission Service? (sorry I've always wanted to do that, as in say what the abbreviation stands for lol). Check this out, I just put in psychology as a course, and it comes up with all the Uni's that offer it, and then you can click it and see the entry requirements. So I clicked on Aberdeen's Bsc Psychology course and bam, now you're on and you can see that in GCSE you need and at A level the standard offer is ! But, you want a Russell group University, so let's check out the list of Russell group Uni's -University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
Durham University
University of Edinburgh
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
Queen Mary, University of London
Queen's University Belfast
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University College London
University of Warwick
University of York

How about we check out Nottingham!
You need
And for Alevel But, if that doesn't answer all your questions then why don't you email them (at the bottom of the page there's an email and a phone number just in case?

So, what am I saying here? Check out the Uni's, their entry requirements, ring them up etc. Do a bit of independent reading :biggrin: !
I hope that helps. (I have too much time on my hands lol!)

Genuinely loving you off right now :biggrin:!!
Thank you for being amazing :wink:
Do you study psychology?
Genuinely loving you off right now :biggrin:!!
Thank you for being amazing :wink:
Do you study psychology?

Hey, it's ok! :smile: (remember to look at the original post, for the good stuff, i've edited it a bit)
No, I don't study psychology lol, I'm looking at potential courses to study myself, and thought I could lend a hand! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest