Boo249
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am just about to start my AS levels, and I would like to study Linguistics at University. I am currently taking German, History, Latin and Biology, but I am prepared to alter my choices. Will this combination get me into a good University to study linguistics? If you have got into Uni to study Linguistics or have been given some good advice, please tell me!
neutralmilks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
These A Levels sound good - a lot of universities will look positively on the fact that you've chosen quite a wide range of subjects. However, if you did want to rethink your subjects you might take a look at English Language as an A Level, which is often the most obvious gateway into Linguistics, although your foreign language choices may be equally as good. Also, it may sound odd but a less obvious choice is Mathematics - in my Oxford interview last year something which really helped me when the tutors wanted to discuss linguistics was my AS Level study of Maths - we spoke about the transferrable logical and analytical skills. But you should do just as well with good grades in your chosen subjects! Good luck
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cambridge (http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...s/linguistics/) lists no essential subjects, but a recommendation of a foreign language (and you have two German and Latin)

Oxford (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...uages_a_2.html) has a modern languages and linguistics degree with no essential subjects.

Edinburgh (http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr..._xml=index.php) also lists no essential subjects.

From this I am to infer that any linguistics degree will probably not require specific subjects; but nevertheless a foreign language and a science subject will be useful (mathematics may also be useful)
Boo249
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by neutralmilks)
These A Levels sound good - a lot of universities will look positively on the fact that you've chosen quite a wide range of subjects. However, if you did want to rethink your subjects you might take a look at English Language as an A Level, which is often the most obvious gateway into Linguistics, although your foreign language choices may be equally as good. Also, it may sound odd but a less obvious choice is Mathematics - in my Oxford interview last year something which really helped me when the tutors wanted to discuss linguistics was my AS Level study of Maths - we spoke about the transferrable logical and analytical skills. But you should do just as well with good grades in your chosen subjects! Good luck
Thank you so much for your advice - it really helped me.
Simon.j.m
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hello, I'm deciding my a levels,and I don't think these would be sufficient to get into a linguistics course, but I am thinking of doing:Maths, F maths, ancient history and musicWhat could I change to make this better?I really don't want drop ancient history though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed