The Student Room Group

I don't want to go to my insurance if I'm rejected by firm. Can I go to clearing?

I've been accepted to do nursing at Northumbria and I REALLY want to go however I don't think I've gotten the required grades, I believe I've fallen one short. My insurance is Hull but I don't want to go there if I'm honest.

What can be done if you get into your insurance but don't want to go there. Won't clearing leave you with the chance of not getting onto a nursing course at all?
It's not a legally binding contract, why not reapply and re take the subject you haven't done well in? Or apply next year with known grades? Or go through clearing I guess, there's loads of options.

I'm worrying I'll be in this position next year, only found 2 uni's I really like and they're both high entry grades :/
Reply 2
Original post by laurengray
I've been accepted to do nursing at Northumbria and I REALLY want to go however I don't think I've gotten the required grades, I believe I've fallen one short. My insurance is Hull but I don't want to go there if I'm honest.

What can be done if you get into your insurance but don't want to go there. Won't clearing leave you with the chance of not getting onto a nursing course at all?

You can ring your insurance choice now and ask them to change your application to unsuccessful. However Nursing is extremely competitive in clearing many places will have already gone to those who have already got their grades. Even if they are still there come the 15th, they will go quickly. I worked for a clearing hotline last year and at that Uni's we had 10 nursing places in clearing (made up of 3 different types of nursing courses) all of which had gone by 9:30 (we opened the hotline at 7).

I hope this helps
Reply 3
I'm in exactly the same situation. My firm is to do English at Nottingham, with an offer of AAA and my insurance is Royal Holloway with AAB. I am so set on going to notts that I think of I miss my grades I will do a third year and resit opposed to going to my insurance. The annoying thing is is that I am pretty certain that I have dropped a grade, so unless Notts accepts me with AAB I will be doing another year of A levels :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by L4L4
You can ring your insurance choice now and ask them to change your application to unsuccessful. However Nursing is extremely competitive in clearing many places will have already gone to those who have already got their grades. Even if they are still there come the 15th, they will go quickly. I worked for a clearing hotline last year and at that Uni's we had 10 nursing places in clearing (made up of 3 different types of nursing courses) all of which had gone by 9:30 (we opened the hotline at 7).

I hope this helps

But how do you ask them to reject you without sounding impolite? Because i feel a bit rude telling them that i dont want to go to their university any more
Original post by BerryB
But how do you ask them to reject you without sounding impolite? Because i feel a bit rude telling them that i dont want to go to their university any more

Just say you've changed your mind. They won't want to waste time grilling you, they are very busy at this time of year!
As above - give them a ring and explain you definitely don't want to take up the place anymore regardless of your results.

NB:
a) ring them ASAP, tomorrow morning 9am if possible (that way they'll know before they get the results that they can give your place to someone else and so that works for you, them and the mysterious other applicant who gets good news on results day :smile:).
b) when you ring write down the full name and job title of the person you speak to, the date/time and what they say. Also don't be afraid to ask them to email to confirm what they say to you in writing
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
As above - give them a ring and explain you definitely don't want to take up the place anymore regardless of your results.

NB:
a) ring them ASAP, tomorrow morning 9am if possible (that way they'll know before they get the results that they can give your place to someone else and so that works for you, them and the mysterious other applicant who gets good news on results day :smile:).
b) when you ring write down the full name and job title of the person you speak to, the date/time and what they say. Also don't be afraid to ask them to email to confirm what they say to you in writing

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just see what happens on results day and hope for the best.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by laurengray
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just see what happens on results day and hope for the best.

Good luck everyone!

Did you not read any of the responses above?

If you wait until results day and end up committed to Hull it could take anywhere from 24 hours to a fortnight to get released into clearing.

Until you've got a clearing number universities aren't supposed to talk to you or make you offers.

Nursing can be extremely competitive - if you don't get into clearing for at least a day or so after results then the chances of finding a place somewhere are very slim.

If you KNOW you don't want to go to Hull then PLEASE contact them TODAY and explain that to them. Otherwise Hull might end up rejecting someone who DOES want to go there because you were hanging on to a place you didn't want AND you might end up missing out on your dream place in clearing because of admin problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending