How Much Is Your Accomodation And Is It Worth It? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Isabelle_D
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I had a look at the Nottingham Accomodation website before I applied and I thought they were fine, now I see that prices this year are going up about £150 from last year. It won't be a problem for me as the parents are paying, but I just think that sort of increase is uncalled for.
So my parents will be paying £3953 for an ensuite, how much are you guys paying?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Durham is £3000.

Quite good as you get all yuor meals but it's that charge wherever you are, single or shared, en suite or not....
WilliamFoster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Isabelle_D)
I had a look at the Nottingham Accomodation website before I applied and I thought they were fine, now I see that prices this year are going up about £150 from last year. It won't be a problem for me as the parents are paying, but I just think that sort of increase is uncalled for.
So my parents will be paying £3953 for an ensuite, how much are you guys paying?
Hey remember me, I'll be on your course.
Anyway, quit whining, your parents will write the check.
Remember to vote me president of Econsoc.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
no offence but you *hope* your parents will be paying for ensuites, those are the most oversubscribed room choice, far better chance of getting university park if you opt for single study, ensuites run the risk of getting broadgate or jubilee.

the extra money you are paying imo isnt worth it, my friend has an en suite in cavendish and her room is literally half the size of mine, perhaps worse.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
£3735.16 - Stamford street Apts (KCL) - ensuite +self catering. I know it's London but the price is still appalling But i wouldn't want catering.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Jesus, these rents are huge! I know terms are longer than Cambridge terms, but that still can't make up for the difference :confused:

I pay £1980 a year for an en-suite set (won't get it next year though, so will be somewhere cheaper ) and yes, it is worth it, but living without en-suite won't be that bad, I don't think.

Edit: oh, and £258 a year Kitchen fixed charge.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i cant belive how cheep cambridge is.....im paying £3000+ a year....for a nice size room, but thats all!

love Katy ***
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
London...panick...refuse to share so maybe about £100 for a cupboard in a nice location with a bathroom between 14 students. Joy. At least there'll be lots to do.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Notts accomo is relatively expensive, though to be honest, you don't have much choice!!!

Don't get too hung up about having an en-suite. Everyone applies for one, and many are therefore disappointed. I didn't get one, though the single study in Rutland was absolutely fine. As a medic, I was generally the only one up in the morning, so never had to wait for showers etc. I have my own bathroom at home, so hated the thought of sharing, but it was fine.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
Notts accomo is relatively expensive, though to be honest, you don't have much choice!!!

Don't get too hung up about having an en-suite. Everyone applies for one, and many are therefore disappointed. I didn't get one, though the single study in Rutland was absolutely fine. As a medic, I was generally the only one up in the morning, so never had to wait for showers etc. I have my own bathroom at home, so hated the thought of sharing, but it was fine.
Doesn't everyone hate Rutland though or something like that?

Ickle Katy - not all colleges are that cheap, but none of them seem to be as much as elsewhere. I'm realising how lucky I am! Living out in Cambridge would be an absolute nightmare though.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
38 weeks self catering flat.

£2277.48

+ £100 Data Point charge.

Has got a good sized kitchen, fridge/freezer, microwave, electric cooker; rooms are of a good size, with suitable furniture, sinks in all rooms.

2 Bathrooms, one with Shower.

Only thing that the self catered accomodation lacks is the typical living area/communal space, which ruins the social life a little bit, as we tend to hang around the kitchen.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't forget that inflation means that repayments outstanding on the halls, cost of utilities etc goes up every year. A rise of £150 is nothing for a year!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I paid £4,800 pa in college at Oxford. Swansea in 1995 was £65 a week (catered halls - so you still had to buy food on top, if you get me ) although living out was cheap - £28 a month plus bills.....
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I pay just under £3000 for non-catered accomodation, with free heating, electricity, water and internet connection (that was the clincher). We have our own en-suites and the kitchen/living area is really quite big. I love it here, but some of the other accomodation on campus is skanky *yuk*
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
£3735.16 - Stamford street Apts (KCL) - ensuite +self catering. I know it's London but the price is still appalling But i wouldn't want catering.
I shall second all of that seeing as we seem to be identical. SPOOKY!

What did you put as your 3rd choice by the way? I put.. Brian Creamer house.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i've applied for self catering, en suite @ birmingham, i don't want to share with foreign fecal matter on toilets and urine in showers - i like my health and well being
Sa-ra-ra-ra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm in self catering en-suite at UEA, on campus, which is something like £73.50 a week - all utilities etc included, including free net connection (but i had to buy a tv licence). It's the most expensive at the uni, but SO worth it - the rooms in Waveney and the Village are teeny!

When i move into a house in september, i'll be paying £56.50 a week, not including anything except tv licence (bizarrely enough!), only we're trying to negotiate a cheaper rent at the moment
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
mines at st andrews...hopefully if i get into this one it'll be around £2500 self catered en-suite and its all modern n new so i think thats well worth it!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
Durham is £3000.

Quite good as you get all yuor meals but it's that charge wherever you are, single or shared, en suite or not....
How are rooms distributed?
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I pay £48 a week at Notts - self-catered and sharing a bathroom between five (although we have a separate toilet and shower). We have a huge kitchen in the flat too. My rent comes to about £2040 a year (I paid all in one go and got a 3% discount) for 40 weeks, which means I have my accommodation over Christmas and Easter. My room doesn't have a sink, but the larger flats have sinks in every room for the same rent.

Broadgate is the cheapest accommodation Notts offers as far as I know, but I wouldn't pay extra to be in Raleigh Park. The catered accommodation does seem really expensive, but you do get three meals a day seven days a week.

My room is larger than the ensuite catered rooms I've been in and obviously a lot cheaper.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.18%
Worried (305)
17.95%
Terrified (378)
22.25%
Meh (163)
9.59%
Confused (37)
2.18%