Turn on thread page Beta

Long Haired Men Soc. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    Juicy - I shampooed my hair with a good moisture infusing shampoo today, and then heavily conditioned it with a moisuture balancing conditioner. - I think they may have done most of the job.. it looks good today

I will still report back on the coconut oil.
    I'm glad you took my advice, but I'm even more glad that it actually worked haha! Keep doing it for a week or two and your hair should be sorted out. I'd say you should keep on conditioning it with every wash beyond that aswell but I dunno if you'd be up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juicy Fruit)
    I'm glad you took my advice, but I'm even more glad that it actually worked haha! Keep doing it for a week or two and your hair should be sorted out. I'd say you should keep on conditioning it with every wash beyond that aswell but I dunno if you'd be up for it.
    once every 3 washes i thinks.. at most.

It takes soooo long...
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    once every 3 washes i thinks.. at most.

It takes soooo long...
    lol
    Haha, fair enough. You're so stubborn! :p:

I go through so much conditioner though. Maybe I should stop using it with every wash too...

Or maybe not. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Good day fellow long-hairs, some good advice gained from this thread so far.
    My hair currently goes to somewhere between my shoulder blades, having been twice trimmed to make it all the same length (or closer to equal length).
    Haven't joined any societies yet, wouldn't mind making this my first, can I?
    Also, a useful site for anyone who's interested:
    http://66.165.133.65/oldwives/hairgrow.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse)
    Good day fellow long-hairs, some good advice gained from this thread so far.
    My hair currently goes to somewhere between my shoulder blades, having been twice trimmed to make it all the same length (or closer to equal length).
    Haven't joined any societies yet, wouldn't mind making this my first, can I?
    Also, a useful site for anyone who's interested:
    http://66.165.133.65/oldwives/hairgrow.asp
    As co-leader (;w00t I can actually say yes! Welcome to the society. :bang:

ReputationRep:
    You need to find the society in the list here and apply officially.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that; application submitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse)
    Cheers for that; application submitted.
    Application accepted!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers once again. I feel proud to be among the ranks of others with majestic and flowing manes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse)
    Cheers once again. I feel proud to be among the ranks of others with majestic and flowing manes.
    Haha, you're welcome.

So, what inspired you to grow your hair long?

ReputationRep:
    Being an avid classic rock fan it was the logical step to take along with playing guitar. However, apart from that, thinking about it hair is surely made to be worn long, why would someone not want to make use of such a wondeful asset?!

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Classic rock eh? Any likings for metal at all?

ReputationRep:
    Metal was anathema for a long time to me, but it began to creep in due to my love of black sabbath. Recently i have to say ive had a bit of a spree where ive bought Peace Sells, Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, and Youthanasia, and frankly i love them (with a few exceptions on Youthanasia). Aside from this, there are some other flirtations with metal such as the occasional Malmsteen, Metallica etc.
    Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Pulse,

Welcome.. you made the right choice for your first society

Metal recommendations:

I'm not personally a HUGE metal fan, as Juicy knows; but i do reccomend Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica etc. Thats more "power metal" according to her.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, i'm glad youve been gracious enough to have me.
    Thanks for those suggestions, i'll make sure to check those out, and if see if they really are power metal. Not personally a fan of that genre, but haven't got anything to lose by checking them out.
    On a hair related level; i have very thick and strong hair that is not mainly straight but has an element of curviness to it. Any way to make it hang down somewhat straighter without resorting to a hair straightener?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse)
    Metal was anathema for a long time to me, but it began to creep in due to my love of black sabbath. Recently i have to say ive had a bit of a spree where ive bought Peace Sells, Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, and Youthanasia, and frankly i love them (with a few exceptions on Youthanasia). Aside from this, there are some other flirtations with metal such as the occasional Malmsteen, Metallica etc.
    Any recommendations?
    Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Yngwie Malmsteen and Metallica are all great bands! I'm glad you've started off with good ones! Malmsteen is one hell of a guitarist that's for sure! Other bands in the same vein as those would be Pantera (Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power - and if you like Pantera, check out Down's album NOLA), Anthrax (though not a favourite band of mine, Among The Living comes highly recommended), Slayer (Reign In Blood is the only album I've heard and it's not bad), Candlemass (doom metal and they remind me of Sabbath quite a bit - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and their self-titled albums are good)... what else... hmmm... maybe some Sepultura, they're a Brazilian thrash metal band (check out the album Chaos A.D.).

Bands from other genres of metal that I highly recommend would be: Dream Theater (progressive metal). Their guitarist, John Petrucci, is amazing. If you like Malmsteen, you'll appreciate his skillzzz. Train Of Thought is my favourite album by them. If you don't mind some growling vocals (which are inter-changed with clean vocals frequently), Opeth are an amazing band (progressive death metal) and Blackwater Park is a masterpiece. And I have to recommend my favourite band Deftones (alternative metal). All of their albums are kick-ass, but White Pony tends to be the most popular and it was the first one I heard. There are some truly amazing songs on that album (as well as the others of course hehe).

I'd say must-listens would be Pantera, Candlemass, Dream Theater and Deftones. Oh and some Rage Against The Machine (alternative metal). I don't know if you're a fan of rap vocals but Zack de la Rocha actually raps about powerful and meaningful topics and their guitarist Tom Morello has written some kick-ass riffs - particularly the tracks Killing In The Name and Wake Up from their self-titled album, which is definitely worth checking out.

Let me know how you get on with those! Happy listening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse)
    Cheers, i'm glad youve been gracious enough to have me.
    Thanks for those suggestions, i'll make sure to check those out, and if see if they really are power metal. Not personally a fan of that genre, but haven't got anything to lose by checking them out.
    On a hair related level; i have very thick and strong hair that is not mainly straight but has an element of curviness to it. Any way to make it hang down somewhat straighter without resorting to a hair straightener?
    Haha, they are power metal! :p: And I'm not a fan of it either!

As for your attempts to achieve straighter hair, perhaps blow-drying it using a hairbrush to pull individual sections of hair down whilst blasting the taut length of the hair with the hair-dryer would work. I'm not an expert when it comes to straightening hair though, I've never needed to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, now that's a list. Thanks a lot for that.
    I don't know how i forgot Rage actually, ive got the first album, Evil Empire, and The Battle Of Los Angeles, and i do have to agree that Tom Morello is a very VERY good guitarist, especially when it comes to riffs (and his crazy solos of course.)
    I like the Walk riff by Pantera but i havent actually heard the rest of the song, although i am aware of Dimebag's repuation. Sepultura; Roots Bloody Roots i do not like, mainly because of the growling death metal vocals. However on that same note, i was reading about Opeth a few minutes ago actually and checking out stuff on YouTube...and it sounds pretty interesting.
    Dream Theater ive always considered very pretentious despite liking 70's prog-rock...however, perhaps it is worth checking them out. Which album would you say is the essential one, one that displays their best elements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse)
    Wow, now that's a list. Thanks a lot for that.
    I don't know how i forgot Rage actually, ive got the first album, Evil Empire, and The Battle Of Los Angeles, and i do have to agree that Tom Morello is a very VERY good guitarist, especially when it comes to riffs (and his crazy solos of course.)
    I like the Walk riff by Pantera but i havent actually heard the rest of the song, although i am aware of Dimebag's repuation. Sepultura; Roots Bloody Roots i do not like, mainly because of the growling death metal vocals. However on that same note, i was reading about Opeth a few minutes ago actually and checking out stuff on YouTube...and it sounds pretty interesting.
    Dream Theater ive always considered very pretentious despite liking 70's prog-rock...however, perhaps it is worth checking them out. Which album would you say is the essential one, one that displays their best elements?
    Hehe, you're very welcome. I'm always willing to spread the metal love. :p:

Yeah Walk is a great song, it's from Vulgar Display Of Power, and Cowboys From Hell also has some great songs (the title track and Cemetary Gates are two of my faves). Make sure you check them both out.

Roots Bloody Roots isn't Sepultura's best album at all. Chaos A.D. is great, as is Arise, so give them a try too.

I'm glad to hear you're discovering Opeth, they're such a talented band! The way they combine heavy riffs with melodic acoustic parts and the mixture of death and clean vocals is really original and they get the balance spot-on. Even if you're not a fan of death or melodic death metal, there's still a good chance that you'll like them, especially given your liking for progressive rock. If you like Blackwater Park (at least listen to the songs Bleak, The Drapery Falls and the title track) then give My Arms Your Hearse, Ghost Reveries and Deliverance a try.

Hmmm... I'm surprised you've described Dream Theater as pretentious. I'd use the word 'talented'. :p: Whatever you do, listen to their Train Of Thought album. Particularly the first two tracks As I Am and This Dying Soul. If you like those, give Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, Images And Words and Awake a listen. Also make sure you get the 23 minute song A Change Of Seasons, from an EP of the same name, it's brilliant. If you like Dream Theater at all, definitely get hold of John Petrucci's instrumental solo album Suspended Animation, especially the songs Damage Control, Animate-Inanimate, Jaws Of Life and Glasgow Kiss.

ReputationRep:
    I shall take your advice under consideration and give Dream Theater a chance.
    For now, im off to play some guitar so adios.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.