Clydefrowg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Can anyone tell me anything about EC319 (Economic theory and its applications) and EC210 (macro)? I have to choose between EC210, EC319 and EC221. Im fairly certain im not going to do EC221 (ive heard metrics is vile) so totally stuck between the two.

Please help!! I havent heard any opinions on EC319 and itd be really helpful to hear some
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely do EC221. It's really not as hard as some people make it out to be. I hated linear regression at the end of ST102, but that's because the lecturer killed it for me. It's actually a really interesting topic and EC221 was the 2nd most useful course I took at undergrad. It's taught well, it has a high percentage of 1sts/2:1s, there are help sessions and the exam is actually quite predictable. It's not easy of course, but it's completely doable. A lot of employers want some experience of regression and a lot of Masters as well require it, don't shut off those doors for no reason. Plus you've probably forgotten a lot of stats by now, it'd be a shame to leave LSE with virtually 0 stats knowledge. *Edit* : just realised you're talking about Maths with Economics, in which case you might be taking modules equivalent to EC221 like ST300, in which case don't take EC221.

EC210 is a really great course too, it's a shame to leave LSE without doing it because I think it's THE module which teaches you what economics is really about. It's pretty tough though (definitely my hardest 2nd year course). Content wise it's what you'd expect really; lots of long term growth theory (Solow model and beyond), consumption and unemployment theory, then a TON of short term growth theory, inflation models, followed by some monetary policy and open economy stuff. No individual concept is hard, but the course is just insanely long with far too much to memorise in my opinion. Plus I always found the exam really hard (most people who say EC210 is easy/ok completely underestimate it and end up with 2:2s/low 2:1s).

I really think you ought to take BOTH EC210 and EC221 tbh. You probably hate economics and I get that completely, but EC221 has nothing to do with economics, so you'd only be taking 1 economics module really.

EC319 I didn't take but it's basically like EC202 on steroids. It's a lot, lot harder than EC221/EC210 for sure. It used to be called Mathematical Economics, so that gives you some idea of what it's like. But essentially the first term is a lot of game theory (more rigorous/theoretical than EC202 I think) and the second term is auction theory (Google this). Unless you have a massive interest in this field, I don't see why you'd take it over EC210/EC202, especially if you're not considering a Masters or something. It's a very advanced and theoretical course, it's essentially a Masters level course. It doesn't make sense to me to do such an advanced course when you've skipped out on the basics (macro and metrics).
Jam'
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Subscribing
Clydefrowg
Rep:
?
Thank you so much guys!! That was really helpful I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks so much!
harry-w
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Check the course guides and see what grabs you.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...ed-subheading3

The most recent results are here, if that helps.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/aboutLSE/statis...seResults.aspx
Clydefrowg
Rep:
?
Thank you!
rextra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Definitely do EC221. It's really not as hard as some people make it out to be. I hated linear regression at the end of ST102, but that's because the lecturer killed it for me. It's actually a really interesting topic and EC221 was the 2nd most useful course I took at undergrad. It's taught well, it has a high percentage of 1sts/2:1s, there are help sessions and the exam is actually quite predictable. It's not easy of course, but it's completely doable. A lot of employers want some experience of regression and a lot of Masters as well require it, don't shut off those doors for no reason. Plus you've probably forgotten a lot of stats by now, it'd be a shame to leave LSE with virtually 0 stats knowledge. *Edit* : just realised you're talking about Maths with Economics, in which case you might be taking modules equivalent to EC221 like ST300, in which case don't take EC221.

EC210 is a really great course too, it's a shame to leave LSE without doing it because I think it's THE module which teaches you what economics is really about. It's pretty tough though (definitely my hardest 2nd year course). Content wise it's what you'd expect really; lots of long term growth theory (Solow model and beyond), consumption and unemployment theory, then a TON of short term growth theory, inflation models, followed by some monetary policy and open economy stuff. No individual concept is hard, but the course is just insanely long with far too much to memorise in my opinion. Plus I always found the exam really hard (most people who say EC210 is easy/ok completely underestimate it and end up with 2:2s/low 2:1s).

I really think you ought to take BOTH EC210 and EC221 tbh. You probably hate economics and I get that completely, but EC221 has nothing to do with economics, so you'd only be taking 1 economics module really.

EC319 I didn't take but it's basically like EC202 on steroids. It's a lot, lot harder than EC221/EC210 for sure. It used to be called Mathematical Economics, so that gives you some idea of what it's like. But essentially the first term is a lot of game theory (more rigorous/theoretical than EC202 I think) and the second term is auction theory (Google this). Unless you have a massive interest in this field, I don't see why you'd take it over EC210/EC202, especially if you're not considering a Masters or something. It's a very advanced and theoretical course, it's essentially a Masters level course. It doesn't make sense to me to do such an advanced course when you've skipped out on the basics (macro and metrics).
Hi there,

Been a while but just wondering what your thoughts on Industrial Econ (ec313) are? Any input would be much appreciated!
ishfish25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rextra)
Hi there,

Been a while but just wondering what your thoughts on Industrial Econ (ec313) are? Any input would be much appreciated!
I'm looking to take this module too.
From the past papers it looks like EC202 but with some added topics like price discrimination
There's bertrand competition again and other parts from EC202 MT, less of the stuff from EC202 LT though (I think).

I have to pick between this, EC310 (behavioural) or EC319

EC313 seems like the best choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads