The Student Room Group

Saas withholding my loan to £4,500

I have a complicated family situation, I live with my grandparents and have done since my parents split up and so I put them down in my household income part of my sheet. I had everything sent away before the deadline and I went on holiday for two weeks. When I came back I had a letter stating that as my grandparents aren't my legal guardians I would only be eligible for a loan of £4,500 and no bursary.

I phoned up and explained that my parents aren't legally divorced but are separated. I was told by the guy on the phone to have the parent who earns the least send another household income sheet to them. So I got my mum and her partner to fill it in and if this is accepted then I will get the maximum loan.

However I haven't heard back from saas and in the meantime I have been getting letters detailing my scheduled payments etc.

i do not come from a privileged background at all and have to move away for uni. My family can't really afford to pay for everything so was hoping the saas loans would ensure I could easily get through uni. I'm thinking though I may have to appeal their decision?
Reply 1
Original post by kea1995
However I haven't heard back from saas and in the meantime I have been getting letters detailing my scheduled payments etc.

You haven't heard back because they haven't got round to reassessing your loan. They're not "withholding" it. You sent off the form with your mum and partner's income so once SAAS get to it, they'll reassess your loan and send you a new award notice. You could phone them to double check that they received the form you sent, but the people you speak to on the phone aren't able to reassess your loan there and then. All the paperwork you send is dealt with by a team of caseworkers who are also working on all the other paperwork sent by other students in date order, so there's a lot for them to get through at this time of year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I use the word withhold lightly as I couldn't think what else to call it. I emailed and called them and a new form has been sent away so fingers crossed it's third time lucky.
It's a very busy time right now. You'll be very lucky to get it sorted in time for your course starting unfortunately but I'm sure it'll actually get sorted - which is the important thing!
Reply 4
Original post by kea1995
I use the word withhold lightly as I couldn't think what else to call it. I emailed and called them and a new form has been sent away so fingers crossed it's third time lucky.

That's fine, I just wanted to make it clear that they're not withholding it because you will get the money at some point! If you log into your SAAS account and click on "application progress enquiry", it'll tell you when your loan was last assessed, so you'll have an idea of when you'll receive your updated letter. They say to allow 28 days to process any further documents you've sent them after you submitted your original application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending