The Student Room Group

How much to spend on boyfriend for his birthday?

I haven't got much mine you'know after coming out of school and looking for a summer job until college I basically get £10 a week with the odd extra £10 when I babysit.
Basically I've been with my boyfriend a year and his 17th is next week
So far I've spent £45 on
2 character t-shirts he really likes
A new character wallet
A new hat
A cannon USB stick(novelty USB)
Belt
A sonic plush

I was wondering if I should spend any more?:/ how much is a "acceptable" amounts to spend? Am I being far to cheap and should spend alot more? But I really don't have much money I'm just good with saving.
Thank you lovely's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's not an amount that you 'should' spend on someone, but I think what you've got him should be plenty!
I mean, if you're only getting £10 a week, you've spent on him, a whole month of your income (pocket money) which is really generous! I think he'll be more than happy with what you've got him :smile:
Original post by Basket case
I haven't got much mine you'know after coming out of school and looking for a summer job until college I basically get £10 a week with the odd extra £10 when I babysit.
Basically I've been with my boyfriend a year and his 17th is next week
So far I've spent £45 on
2 character t-shirts he really likes
A new character wallet
A new hat
A cannon USB stick(novelty USB)
Belt
A sonic plush

I was wondering if I should spend any more?:/ how much is a "acceptable" amounts to spend? Am I being far to cheap and should spend alot more? But I really don't have much money I'm just good with saving.
Thank you lovely's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you have got already seems like more than enough! Lucky him!
Reply 3
Seriously, don't worry about having to spend a specific 'acceptable' amount because there isn't one. You've obviously put a lot of though into what he would like and honestly, it sounds like you've bought him a ton of stuff! I'm sure he'll be so happy with what you've bought for him and if I were you I wouldn't buy anything else. If you do still feel like you haven't got him enough though, maybe make something? That would be even more thoughtful :smile:
Reply 4
Me and my boyfriend went so OTT with birthdays/Christmases to begin with, it's really not worth breaking the bank over! What you've bought him sounds thoughtful and more than enough.
I had a girlfriend when I turned 17. Your know what happened on that day? She gave me a crap card and then took my virginity. :unimpressed:

Your boyfriend, by comparison, is being spoilt.

Seriously though, as long as you've put thought into the gifts and he will like them, you have nothing to worry about. If the amount you've spent is anything to go by, I think you're more than covered.
The gifts sound good and doesn't seem like you need to get much more!
How did you manage to buy all that for only £45? That is really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by yennibubs
The gifts sound good and doesn't seem like you need to get much more!
How did you manage to buy all that for only £45? That is really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks everyone :smile:, urm eBay in all honesty I won the wallet for £3 (brand new packaged etc) while the buy it now price was £12:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by snapper1
Me and my boyfriend went so OTT with birthdays/Christmases to begin with, it's really not worth breaking the bank over! What you've bought him sounds thoughtful and more than enough.

Tell me about it the same year! Yet he spent about £100 on my birthday! That's why I don't really feel I've spent enough:frown: :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Tell me about it the same year! Yet he spent about £100 on my birthday! That's why I don't really feel I've spent enough:frown: :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does he maybe earn more money than you though? If you're worried then maybe borrow some money off your parents, and like somone else suggested, make something, like a photo album?
I think less than £1 is a bit stingy unless it's something meaningful. You've filled this criteria.
Reply 11
It sounds great. Don't buy anything more. You are giving him your time, love, interest, company......that is what he will like the most. Something personal that you have made, or collected for him that shows you have thought about him and taken time to do is often more meaningful.

i am sure that he will have a lovely birthday with you.

It would be great if you can come back and let us know how it goes....
Reply 12
Original post by beckaroo7
Does he maybe earn more money than you though? If you're worried then maybe borrow some money off your parents, and like somone else suggested, make something, like a photo album?

I have borrowed some off them out of my results day money as I've passed 4 GCSES already:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Also my mams a single parent with nothing from my father at all so I also feel bad for asking/:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a lot of money! Don't spend any more!
Reply 15
As everyone said there is no quota you don't need to buy love. Its the thought and feelings that are of the greatest value.

Don't know what his fashion sense is like but making (e.g.) knitting something can be a great way of showing you put a lot of time and effort for him without necessarily costing a lot. My favourite scarf for example is one my (sadly ex now) girlfriend knitted for me. (inb4 knitting isn't cool...)
Reply 16
Original post by Trix465
As everyone said there is no quota you don't need to buy love. Its the thought and feelings that are of the greatest value.

Don't know what his fashion sense is like but making (e.g.) knitting something can be a great way of showing you put a lot of time and effort for him without necessarily costing a lot. My favourite scarf for example is one my (sadly ex now) girlfriend knitted for me. (inb4 knitting isn't cool...)

That's a good idea with the scarf... I can't knit though:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Since you make barely ebough money- **** it don't buy anything. If he really cares and is understanding he won't mind. If he gets angry then you.know what to do.
Reply 18
I have borrowed some off them out of my results day money as I've passed 4 GCSES already:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've probably spent enough then. If you want to do more, put bows and ribbons on his gifts to make a fuss maybe? Sounds like you've put alot of effort into the gifts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending